“Good place to stay”

Pullman Auckland
Ranked #16 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed for one night, had to room move as the room we had been checked into did not have two beds but that was easily fixed and the second room had a much better view. Joan checked us in and was extremely pleasant, Mitchell the concierge was more than helpful (helped move bags and gave good restaurant / bar choices for both Auckland and Queenstown (the next location on our trip). The lobby area was pretty funky looking (in a good way), the only downside is the walk back up the hill from Queen Street (walking down is not a problem of course) but the location is well-placed and there are good views of the parklands out front and the city also.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
PullmanAucklandHotel, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear "Tommw5",

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on the Pullman Auckland. I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay.

I will share your kind comments with Joan, Mitchell and the team. I am sure that this will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we continuously work hard to ensure the quality of our services are enhanced.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here in May for two nights as my sister and husband are members of ACCOR, the accommodation is very nice and well equipped, fantastic views, the customer service by the staff was very good and so very helpful. I did find the air conditioner hard to control it was quite warm in the room and the only other small complaint was the bathroom shower curtain it was very annoying, while trying to shower maybe need a better option. We ate dinner in the dining room it was really, really nice and the service was brillant. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Leah H

Dear "Leah H",

Thank you for your lovely review. I am so pleased that you had a wonderful stay.

If time allows, I would be grateful if you would drop me a quick email with your booking details. We do have some rooms with separate showers to the bath which might be more comfortable for you on a future stay. (c.saunders@pullmanauckland.co.nz) I would be happy to make a note of this for you.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This property is a renovated hotel with a beautiful modern lobby and rooms that are obviously older with high ceilings and crown moldings with updated bathrooms. What made the stay of 5 days a joy was the staff. The doormen were consistently courteous, helpful and knowledgeable, particularly Rick who I think must live there because he was seemingly always there to open our car door. Cairan, the concierge, went out of his way to get the proper tour for us and arranged to have a pick up at the hotel. The Tapestry Restaurant staff (Alem) was also courteous and eager to meet the needs and requests of the guests as was the receptionist desk (Sarah).

Room Tip: You can have a view of the University of Auckland or one toward the harbor. We had the former and i...

Dear "W T",

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Pullman Auckland. I am so pleased that you had a wonderful stay. Thank you also for your kind words about our staff. Ciaran, Alem and Sarah will be so pleased when I share your feedback with them. The entire team work passionately every day to provide memorable experiences for our guests.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed at the Pullman for a business function and meetings as part of a group. Our room was OK, though the A/C was a bit noisy and hard to regulate so that you could get consistent temperature, but that is a quibble. The main issue was the embarrassment I was caused to experience at check-in, when the check-in clerk tried to correct the "mistake" that had resulted in our being assigned a room with a single king-sized bed. In fact, that is what we had requested, and our efforts to convince her that we wanted that bed were not persuasive, apparently, since she kept trying to have us move into a room with twin beds. Finally we had to just tell her that my travelling companion and I were a (same-sex) couple, and were quite happy to share a bed. Is it really necessary to have to spell these things out in Auckland in 2014?? Why could she not have just taken us at our word that we wanted to keep things as it was? And why, when I raised this casually with one of the managers later in the day, did no one offer an apology for this?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
PullmanAucklandHotel, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear "James_Glucksman",

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to speak with me yesterday regarding your stay at the Pullman Auckland.

My sincere apologies again that you found yourself in an embarassing situation during your check in experience. While I am confident that the staff member felt they were being of assistance, I will remind the team that we should not assume our guests' preferences unless we are advised otherwise.

In the interest of the readers of this forum, I must mention that I have spoken to the Manager on Duty concerned, and he did indeed apologise for the embarrassment you felt. He also assured me that he made an attempt to find out further information from you regarding the incident, to which he was unsuccessful.

I very much hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

The hotel is in a convenient location by Auckland University and the CBD. The public areas are well maintained with pleasant, modern decor, and the hotel has a superb large pool with a retractable roof. The staff are extremely pleasant and professional and make every effort to attend to all your needs. I also loved the breakfast buffet which has an excellent array of items. And the Energy Revive green smoothie drinks they offer as a pick me in the rooms and at the bar are a really wonderful flavorful tonic.

By way of minor quibbles, I think the rooms need to be renovated. While comfortable, they feel rather dated. And it would have been helpful to have universal outlets so as not to need adapters to plug in laptops and charge cellphones. The wireless internet was also a little sketchy on occasion. Apart from this, would highly recommend this property as being clean, efficient, comfortable and friendly.

1  Thank Peter R

Dear "Peter R",

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Pullman Auckland. I was delighted to read that you very much enjoyed your experience. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

When this hotel was managed by the Hyatt brand, I had the pleasure of regularly staying here and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Admittedly under Hyatt, I was provided with residence rooms and suites for my stays. This was my first visit back under the Pullman brand. The room provided had a nice view but did look very dated and small in comparison to the other Auckland hotels. Air conditioning was noisy, the bathroom was very dated. Showering was annoying with the shower curtain pinning you in a small corner, however bathroom amenities were nice enough. Room service was a bit of a mixed bag, my wife had a great looking meal and mine was average. Restaurant breakfast was over run with a tour group which did not aid to a relaxing breakfast, nor a lot of food on offer with the kitchen doing there best to keep up. May I suggest a conference room or something for those large groups so as not to deter you FIT or corporate guests. We had a great cocktail function at Top of the Town and the conference facilities, spa facilities and gym were excellent. In a nutshell, I think the rooms are very average and could do with a refurb but good (not excellent) in most other areas.

Room Tip: Go for a residence room/suite or hotel suite. Avoid a hotel room until they have a decent refurb

Dear "CJF101",

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on our hotel. It was a pleasure to welcome you back after all these years. I am so pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and you very much enjoyed the cocktail function you attended at Top of the Town, as well as the Spa at the Pullman facilities.

As you mentioned, the hotel has both a Residence and a Hotel Tower - The Residence Tower being more contemporary in style and the Hotel Tower very much traditional. Depending on your length of stay and your preferences, we have the pleasure of offering our guests a range of suites and rooms that may be suitable.

Please accept my sincere apologies that you found the air conditioning noisy and would have preferred a separate shower to the bath. As I am unable to tell from TripAdvisor which guest has left a review, I would be grateful if you would email me your booking details. I would like to ensure that we allocate a walk in shower for your next stay and make a note that you would prefer to reserve one of the Residence Rooms in the future. Furthermore, if time allows, it would be very helpful for further feedback on your Room Service experience. We have recently introduced a new menu and the Executive Chef welcomes honest feedback in order to offer a culinary experience that our guests will thoroughly enjoy and remember. My email address is c.saunders@pullmanauckland.co.nz

Thank you again for sharing your experience. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Arrived late in the evening and one of the porters had taken my bag inside :) Check in was fast and efficent. I forgotten his name but he had given me a late check out! Thank you, it was much needed. I had breakfast and the layout was great. Alot of options and probably the only hotel I have seen so far that has Nutella which is a extra bonus. Came back later than the check out time because of a meeting which was okay with the staff. All staff were great! Thanks to the porter for dropping my bags into the taxi Saturday morning. Happy fella! :)

Dear "DanieeTavita",

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. I am delighted that you had a wonderful experience and that the offer of a late departure was helpful.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.