“Worst hotel experience...”

Pullman Auckland
Ranked #14 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

If I'm eligible for a late check out, that means I don't need someone clean my room, I don't need a man in suit ask me when I'm gonna leave, I don't need a random dude rushing in and check my minibar, I just want to chill.... And the Wifi, seriously, I have to travel back 20 years to get a worse signal and speed, if I can ever get onto it...

The receptionists.. All of them... I never know that they can be so unhelpful and rude at the same time.....

Pullman never ever again...

• Stayed: June 2014
PullmanAucklandHotel, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear "Li01rad",

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on the Pullman Auckland. I was very disappointed to read of your experience, especially that we often receive nothing but praise for our service and friendliness of the team. Your stay should have been nothing but perfect and comfortable, and if you had arranged a late departure which we were aware of, I can assure you that you would not have been disturbed unnecessarily.

As it is difficult to ascertain from TripAdvisor which guest left a review, I would be grateful if you could email me your booking details so I may investigate this further. (c.saunders@pullmanauckland.co.nz)

There are newer reviews for Pullman Auckland

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Overall a nice hotel. I have stayed at the Sofitel a number of times before this and would probably still head in that direction in the future for location and bigger size rooms. I had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and both were delicious. The hotel is in good walking distance to the CBD. The room and bathroom is just a little pokey for a five star hotel and the corridors need a definite upgrade. Le Club Platinum status meant nothing other than free wifi which I had to clarify on check out. This really isn't good enough for a Pullman brand. In the end, I had the room for a cheap rate and that was the most important thing.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear "Jclymt",

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Pullman Auckland on this occasion. It was a pleasure to welcome you to the hotel.

While I am so pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay, I am sincerely sorry that you were not told about the services you are entitled to as a Platinum member. We very much value your loyalty to Accor and as such, while you can enjoy complimentary Internet use, you also benefit from a complimentary upgrade to the next room type upon check in (if available), use of the Executive Lounge and a complimentary late departure of 4pm. This should have been communicated to you on arrival as well as in a welcome letter in your room. I am very sorry that this was not the case and the first thing that comes to mind as to why this was not perhaps communicated, is we may not have had your membership details confirmed in the reservation?

As I am unable to tell from TripAdvisor which guest has left a review, I would be grateful if you could email me on c.saunders@pullmanauckland.co.nz with your booking details so I may investigate this further. I also want to ensure that you receive the points for your stay.

I look forward to hopefully hearing from you.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed at the Pullman for over 20 nights in one month while working on a project in Auckland and the hotel became my 2nd home. The rooms were all of a good size, clean and comfortable. I loved that there was a free movie channel and some space to sit around without having to sit on the bed (although this wasn't the case for all rooms). I ate lots of meals in the bar. The food was always high quality and the staff friendly and helpful. Location for me was great because the office was just down the road however the hotel is at the top of a quite steep hill, so you get a good cardio workout every day! Service throughout the hotel was always first class.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear "Aus_Pete_N",

Thank you for choosing to make the Pullman Auckland your second home whilst working on a project in Auckland. We loved having you stay with us.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel is lovely.

The staff were very friendly and the service was good - starting from the taxi pulling up. Check in was quick and easy.

The bar was nice enough, though a little open for my preferences. I do prefer the hotels where the bar area is separate, i.e. you cannot necessarily see the lobby from where you are sitting, but they had enough barriers for it not to be such a problem. Bar staff were nice, and remembered the drink order which is always a nice touch.

The restaurant was nice. Had dinner here one night, not a huge deal to pick from on the menu (and probably a little pricey) but the food was really good.

Breakfast was good - especially for a buffet breakfast option. The only issue, the room itself probably wasn't large enough to cater to the amount of people so sometimes it was a bit of problem getting a table. The buffet was good - and gave the option of requesting food be made special by the kitchen, which is great if you want your eggs cooked right in front of you (rather than the scrambled in the buffet). The only other issue was getting tea from the staff. They seemed to prefer to come around and pour from the tea pot themselves, and would not leave the pot - so if you like to have two or so cups of tea (especially as the cups are tiny!!) then you might have some difficulty getting the waitress back. Over the 4 night stay, one waitress left the pot, the next day she took it away, and finally on the last day we asked if we could keep it. Her response was yes, of course, but the expression seemed like it was an usual request or something.

The business centre is fantastic. as part of my Le CLub Accor membership I have free internet, so working in the business centre was great. I've been into some that are just a tiny table (with an old desktop computer) off the side of the lobby. This was great, a nice private large separate room. Plenty of stations, TV and computers.

Everything is walking distance to the hotel, but I tended to still get a taxi back at night especially if I ate down at the Viaduct. Walk is fine during the day (about 10-15 minutes), but way too much to do at night. I did see a review that pointed out the hotel was on top of a hill, which could be problematic when returning from a few drinks. Well, I thought at first that wasn't really a big deal - but having been, stayed and returned after a few drinks.... well, yes. the hill is a bit problematic. It is almost a bit of a deceiving hill, you start up it and not realise just how steep it is going to get!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear "Jenna S",

Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed feedback on your experience at the Pullman Auckland. I am so pleased that you very much enjoyed your stay.

We work hard everyday to provide exceptional levels of service to our guests. We very much appreciate your comments and thoughts as it gives us an opportunity to focus on certain areas that are important to you but also to know that the attention to detail we provide on other areas is noticed.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
PullmanAucklandHotel, Pullman Auckland at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have made the Pullman Auckland our regular and choice of accommodation for several reasons - it begins with the welcome as soon as you open your car door. Reception is always cheerful and checking in is stress free and easy. The lobby is welcoming, the bar is great and the resturant is amazing. Up in the room, I love the calm yet modern feel. If, by chance you require something that is not in your room, just ask. We have stayed here for Business, for holidays, for family celebrations and for quiet get-aways. The staff have always been very quick to rectify any issues - and I admit there were times we were quite picky!! We love the welcome - it's like seeing dear friends. We always make a point of dining at least once in the Restaurant, and while there have been the odd "oops's" over all a very wonderful dining experience. This is a great team whose overall mission is to give you a memorable stay. Thanks to everyone, no matter what role you have within the Hotel - for making us welcome and looking after us! We look forward to our next stay this coming weekend.!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear "Sue R",

Wow! Thank you for your amazing review! The team are truly humbled by your kind words and very much appreciate your feedback on your past stays with us. We are delighted that you feel part of the "Pullman Family" and love returning to stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at the Pullman for one night. We were in town to watch a show. The staff are friendly and thoughtful. Check-in was smooth and our car whisked away by the valet. We had a standard room, which was very luxurious and comfortable. The bathroom was great and the soaps and shampoo of the highest standard. The bed was large and comfortable. The concierge was very helpful and gave us a tip on how to easily get to our venue. I used the pool and steam room in the morning and the facilities are a mile above any of the top hotels in the city. Well done Pullman. We did not eat at the hotel so don't know about the restaurant or dining room service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear "FrancieJ",

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Pullman Auckland. It was a pleasure to welcome you to the hotel. We hope to see you again soon. Please do say hello on your next visit. It would be a pleasure to meet you.