“An illusion of quality.”
Review of Pullman Auckland

Pullman Auckland
Ranked #16 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Below is a letter I sent to the hotel manager.

Dear .........

When I saw the first night's accommodation charge on your system I asked one of your staff who assured me it would be correct. At no time was I told I would have two bills to pay. I assumed, since there were so many online specials available for your hotel, that my rate was matched to them.

As for having a great stay. A comedy of errors and inadequacies. I've listed for you what I can remember.

1. Room requests were ignored as you are aware but even to the extent of providing a room with two singles rather than a king.
2. Equipment failures - air conditioning didn't work
- room safes didn't work
- tv quality very poor
- in room movies not available through half our stay
- unusable coffee machine
- a damaged lift without a lobby button which I only mention as I found myself trapped by it.
3. Catering - buffet breakfast food appeared days old
- vegetarian meals served covered with bacon !!!!
- a menu that read very well but the food supplied was to such a poor standard as to be inedible. Try the cannelloni, the rubber cheese pizza and the terrible desserts.
4. Service - a few hardworking, amenable staff members accompanied by a number who were very disappointing.
- Uncaring, disinterested and inept. Did not return calls or confirm bookings.
- Billing unclear and not correctly itemised.

Overall .... a very disappointing experience. I chose your hotel as you seemed to promise quality but unfortunately this was only a marketing illusion.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LuckyLui
PullmanAucklandHotel, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear "LuckyLui",

Thank you for writing to us regarding your recent stay at Pullman Auckland, and for taking the time to speak with me earlier in the week regarding your stay. I very much appreciated you sharing your feedback and as I mentioned, we are sincerely sorry that there were some aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations..

As mentioned in my email correspondence to you, I am sincerely sorry that we did not originally allocate you an apartment with two king beds. The request was acknowledged but I have since learnt, that the information did not download from one system into another, and for this I am sincerely sorry. It was an error from our side. I know our Front Office Manager, complimentary upgraded you to one of our corner suites once we realized the error, however I do appreciate that it was not ideal to move to another room during your stay.

After speaking with the Maintenance team, I understand from my colleagues that while the aircon did work, it was a case that you wanted the temperature adjusted which was done centrally from behind the scenes and from within the room. As our safes run off a battery operated system, at some stage, unfortunately they will lose their battery life however the batteries were replaced immediately.

As I mentioned, I am sincerely sorry that the In Room movies became unavailable during your stay. While this is a service provided by an outside company, I can appreciate that it is frustrating nevertheless to not be able to watch a movie of your choice. I have since removed the movie charges from your bill.

Please be rest assured that the breakfast items are cooked on the day and are replenished as and when needed, in line with keeping the quality of the food to its highest standard and keeping in mind holding temperatures and timings. While I know that you did not enjoy some of the room service items, it is difficult for me to comment on this when we are not told about your disappointment at the time. If you are not happy about something, we very much want to hear about it so we can rectify the situation immediately. We also receive nothing but praise about the quality of food served in the hotel so it was surprising that you did not enjoy several dishes.

I have also spoken to the Executive Chef regarding the pancakes served in the Omni Bar and they are not served with bacon so I am sincerely sorry that this is what you experienced. This is one area that is still very puzzling as this has never happened before.

I can appreciate that there were some aspects of your stay that were not perfect and mainly down to technical areas, which unfortunately at times, cannot be avoided, and for this I am sincerely sorry. I can understand that you may not wish to return to stay with us, however it is my hope that this will not be the case. We would love to welcome you back to Pullman Auckland in order to have the opportunity to better serve you on your next visit.

Quality and Attitude Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,486)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
PullmanAucklandHotel, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Was absolutely lovely to look at.
When we arrived we were looked at like who are you what do you want. The service was average.
The team were nice and they did there jobs the management looked like if you've got money well give you better treatment.
The room was as Ok clean but the towells were old they had holes in them.
The king size room I had asked for was a twin just with beds put together not what I call 5star.
Not much available on TV unless you wanted to pay for extra.
Overall experience was average

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 'robdavo",

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. While I am pleased that you felt welcome by most of our team, I was disappointed to read that you felt you had an average stay.

The team work passionately every day to ensure our guests have a memorable stay and their every need is taken care of. We normally receive nothing but praise from our guests on how welcoming and professional our staff and management are, so it saddened me that you felt like this was not the case. Please accept my sincere apologies. I can assure you that this is never our intention and I would love to speak to you further regarding your thoughts, in order to get a better understanding of your experience. We are committed to service excellence and always want to ensure that when something is not quite right, we understand the reason why and we very quickly ensure that it does not happen again. I would be grateful if you could contact me on c.saunders@pullmanauckland.co.nz so we may liaise direct.

In the interest of the readers of this forum, I must point out that our bath towels and linen are of a high quality and each and every room is inspected thoroughly. Furthermore, our guests can enjoy over 20 different TV channels plus the option of purchasing a selection of movies.

I very much hope to hear from you, and equally, it is our hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
PullmanAucklandHotel, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Pullman pulls no punches - we arrived to the hotel late from a corporate event we had been hosts at, having had nothing substantial to eat the F&B manager took it upon himself to arrange two solid steak meals for us!
Simply outstanding and totally made the trip!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear "Grant074",

Thank you for your amazing review on Pullman Auckland. It was our pleasure to welcome you to the hotel and make sure that you were taken extra special care of.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

This time, was my turn to stay for a couple of nights.
I had a knee operation and needed absolute rest for at least 2 days. At home with stairs and 3 kids was not the best option, therefore, Pullman Hotel was the choice.
The Front Office Manager, Sevag, was aware of my operation and he was waiting for me with a wheel chair and personally took me to my suite on the 14th level, next to the Executive Lounge; very handy to be that close for breakfast in the morning.
Obviously, Room Service was on high demand. Delicious meals were delivered in no time and in one occasion, they prepared a meal, that was out of the menu, for my kids as they can be fussy with food, specially when they are under 10 years of age. My gratitude for that gesture and "thumbs up" from my kids. I have to thank Sevag, Maria and Afrin from Reception, Jonah from Concierge and all the staff that helped me out (I am sorry I don't remember all the names) as I was limited with my movements and couldn't do much on my own.
No need to mention, the room was impeccable and make me feel at home. And is the staff that makes this happen. How they looked after me and my family, honestly, I didn't want to leave !
My congratulations to you all. You deserve a star ! Thanks and... I will be back !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alexander D
PullmanAucklandHotel, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear "Alexander D",

Thank you for your amazing review on Pullman Auckland. It was a pleasure to welcome you back and make sure that you were taken extra special care of. The team will be delighted with your kind comments.

We all look forward to seeing you again soon. Wishing you a speedy recovery in the meantime.