“Love Staying Here”
Review of Pullman Auckland

Pullman Auckland
Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We decided to stay here when Accor announced a 40% sale on rooms and included free breakfast. The hotel is in a great location and the rooms are nicely appointed particularly the refurbished ones. However the hotel is let down by the inconsistent service provided by some of the staff. It took a long time to check in. When we arrived at around 5pm there was only one person at the check in counter. I had to wait a long time to check in and just as it was my turn, 4 people emerged from the back office and asked if they could help. Where were they to begin with? You could hear the wind whistling through the corridors but you couldn't hear it in our room. We ate dinner at the Tapestry restaurant. My husband ordered the steak medium rare but it arrived blue. He sent it back. By the time the steak was served again my chicken had gone cold. The food at breakfast was very good but the waiters struggled to keep up. We waited a long time for our table to be ready and some of the waitresses seemed harried. We also weren't offered any coffee or tea and had to wildly wave our hands to get anybody's attention.They ran out of eggs at the buffet. By the time the eggs were refilled we had finished our breakfast. The buffet is however much better on weekdays when there are fewer people and the waitresses have more time for guests. The hotel says they only take 5-10 minutes to retrieve your car from valet but every time we asked for our car it took at least 15 minutes. That was quite annoying. On one occasion they even gave us the WRONG car! I don't mind if they take 15 minutes but be upfront about it. Don't over promise and then under deliver. If it really takes 15 minutes then just say so. The other thing that irritated me was the spa. I had a 60 minute massage at the spa but it wasn't really 60 minutes. The masseur started 5 minutes late and finished 2 minutes early. That might sound petty but when you're paying $130 for a 60 minute massage, I deserve to receive 60 minutes worth of your time! I felt ripped off at the spa. The time spent in the "waiting room" should not count towards the massage. The hotel has the potential to be 5 star but unfortunately we did not receive that experience. If it weren't for the 40% sale I would be giving this hotel a lower rating.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
PullmanAucklandHotel, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear "YLH01",

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Pullman Auckland. It was a pleasure to welcome you to the hotel. While I am so pleased that you loved the location and the room that you stayed in, I was disappointed to read that there were some aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

As you may be aware, I am unable to tell from TripAdvisor which guest has left a review. I would be grateful if you would email me your contact details so I may liaise with you direct regarding your feedback. Your stay should have been nothing but perfect. It is my hope however that when you expressed your thoughts to the team during your stay, they would have rectified the areas immediately. We very much appreciate both good and honest feedback so we are able to highlight this to the team in order to better serve our guests in the future. (My email address is c.saunders@pullmanauckland.co.nz)

I look forward to hopefully hearing from you.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The hotel is in the nice location, 5 minutes walking to the harbor and the center.Rooms are nice and well furnished.The only complaint is very very loud noise coming from the windows.It was windy when I was there and the wind was making terrible noise through the windows.I couldn't sleep at all.My colleagues said that they had the same issue.
Everything else is really good and the food is delicious!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
PullmanAucklandHotel, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear "Sanjulina",

It was a pleasure to welcome you to Pullman Auckland. I am so pleased that you had a wonderful stay.

My sincere apologies that the wind kept you up at night however. Unfortunately Auckland experienced gusts of wind of up to 125 kmph last week, due to a storm that lasted several days.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

London
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Good service, comfortable rooms, good location. A good business hotel except that if you wanted to have your laptop and mobile on wifi you had to pay $10 per day. And I liked the breakfast a lot - really wide range of choices!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear "CitizenDave",

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Pullman Auckland. It was a pleasure to welcome you to the hotel. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Below is a letter I sent to the hotel manager.

Dear .........

When I saw the first night's accommodation charge on your system I asked one of your staff who assured me it would be correct. At no time was I told I would have two bills to pay. I assumed, since there were so many online specials available for your hotel, that my rate was matched to them.

As for having a great stay. A comedy of errors and inadequacies. I've listed for you what I can remember.

1. Room requests were ignored as you are aware but even to the extent of providing a room with two singles rather than a king.
2. Equipment failures - air conditioning didn't work
- room safes didn't work
- tv quality very poor
- in room movies not available through half our stay
- unusable coffee machine
- a damaged lift without a lobby button which I only mention as I found myself trapped by it.
3. Catering - buffet breakfast food appeared days old
- vegetarian meals served covered with bacon !!!!
- a menu that read very well but the food supplied was to such a poor standard as to be inedible. Try the cannelloni, the rubber cheese pizza and the terrible desserts.
4. Service - a few hardworking, amenable staff members accompanied by a number who were very disappointing.
- Uncaring, disinterested and inept. Did not return calls or confirm bookings.
- Billing unclear and not correctly itemised.

Overall .... a very disappointing experience. I chose your hotel as you seemed to promise quality but unfortunately this was only a marketing illusion.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LuckyLui
PullmanAucklandHotel, Quality and Attitude Manager at Pullman Auckland, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear "LuckyLui",

Thank you for writing to us regarding your recent stay at Pullman Auckland, and for taking the time to speak with me earlier in the week regarding your stay. I very much appreciated you sharing your feedback and as I mentioned, we are sincerely sorry that there were some aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations..

As mentioned in my email correspondence to you, I am sincerely sorry that we did not originally allocate you an apartment with two king beds. The request was acknowledged but I have since learnt, that the information did not download from one system into another, and for this I am sincerely sorry. It was an error from our side. I know our Front Office Manager, complimentary upgraded you to one of our corner suites once we realized the error, however I do appreciate that it was not ideal to move to another room during your stay.

After speaking with the Maintenance team, I understand from my colleagues that while the aircon did work, it was a case that you wanted the temperature adjusted which was done centrally from behind the scenes and from within the room. As our safes run off a battery operated system, at some stage, unfortunately they will lose their battery life however the batteries were replaced immediately.

As I mentioned, I am sincerely sorry that the In Room movies became unavailable during your stay. While this is a service provided by an outside company, I can appreciate that it is frustrating nevertheless to not be able to watch a movie of your choice. I have since removed the movie charges from your bill.

Please be rest assured that the breakfast items are cooked on the day and are replenished as and when needed, in line with keeping the quality of the food to its highest standard and keeping in mind holding temperatures and timings. While I know that you did not enjoy some of the room service items, it is difficult for me to comment on this when we are not told about your disappointment at the time. If you are not happy about something, we very much want to hear about it so we can rectify the situation immediately. We also receive nothing but praise about the quality of food served in the hotel so it was surprising that you did not enjoy several dishes.

I have also spoken to the Executive Chef regarding the pancakes served in the Omni Bar and they are not served with bacon so I am sincerely sorry that this is what you experienced. This is one area that is still very puzzling as this has never happened before.

I can appreciate that there were some aspects of your stay that were not perfect and mainly down to technical areas, which unfortunately at times, cannot be avoided, and for this I am sincerely sorry. I can understand that you may not wish to return to stay with us, however it is my hope that this will not be the case. We would love to welcome you back to Pullman Auckland in order to have the opportunity to better serve you on your next visit.