“"I wouldn't go back"”

Ranked #43 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Melbourne, Australia
“"I wouldn't go back"”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

When I first opened the door I wondered what the unusual smell was, so the window was instantly opened, which was a bonus as I like to have fresh air. Still not sure what the 'odour' was, but it eventually became less obvious. The carpet was dirty, the bedside tables were stained & the lighting in the room is extremely dull. I booked a room for 3 people, so the one king & one single bed were fine, however there were only 2 cups & 2 towels for us. The phone in the room didn't work to request more items, nor could we have a wakeup call due to no dial tone. When I requested a wakeup call (due to the end of daylight savings & an early flight we didn't want to miss), I was told it couldn't be made to an international mobile number, & it wasn't.
Wifi was only accessible in the foyer, & considering most communication is done via the internet it would have been better if we could access this from our room.
After 2 nights at the Park Regis we have left exhausted. Our room was in close proximity to a nightclub around the corner and the music was loud and late both nights.
Although the Iocation is convenient to shops and restaurants, I can't recommended this as a pleasant hotel to stay in.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Windy6556
Michael D, General Manager at Grand Windsor Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Firstly thank you for your feedback. We value any and all feedback with the view to improve our services based on the feedback of our customers.

Our group is in the process of refurbishing the Park Regis Auckland as well as other properties in the group. Our plans include totally overhauling the rooms and bathrooms to bring them up to a much higher standard and aim to resolve the issues that you mentioned along with many other improvements. We are aware of the occasional noise issue from surrounding pubs and clubs. This problem is being approached from many angles including recommendations from an Auckland based sound engineering firm.

Unfortunately we have not concluded the processes mentioned as they do tend to take a while to complete.
Please accept my sincere apologies for not living up to your expectations but I can assure you that once we have concluded works we will certainly leave a lasting and very positive impression.

General Manager - Park Regis Auckland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This was a rip off - the smallest hotel room I have ever seen. When I asked why I was I put in it I was told it was because I was a "single" and this was a single room - why was I charged the full rate?
When I asked if she had ever been in the room she said yes when asked if she would put her parents in the room she said no. You could not walk around the bed the room was so small. The bathroom was not much smaller than the actual sleeping area. I once slept at the top of the stairs in a bed sit house in London in the mid-sixties and there was more room there.
Appalling attitude to guest comfort - if you are single do not bother leaving your money here.
The reception area at the front entrance was filthy for the whole of my stay and if it was ever swept I did not notice.

Room Tip: Do not accept if given a small room as I was
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank GraemeMuse
You will be delighted to hear that after our recent takeover we, like you, have recognised the need for a major refurbishment and are embarking on a major project to uplift all aspects of this grand old building. My only regret is that we could not complete this before your stay.
We have various types and styles of rooms and would have been more than happy to move you to a larger room if requested. I have spoken to the contractor on site to ensure that we avoid any mess in the public areas. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Mike Davies,
General Manager - Park Regis Auckland

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Dingwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Booked two rooms in a hurry at airport. Location great. Close to shops, harbour and bus station. Grand entrance is not matched by elsewhere. Reception staff excellent and very helpful. Accessing hotel and reception area is not easy with large cases. Rooms were spacious well furnished but I felt were a bit tired, especially the carpets (also in hallways). We did not use any of the hotels other facilities so can't comment on them. Overall, I thought that we overpaid for what we got but that was my fault for not doing my pre-travel homework,

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dingdave
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed here four nights and were very happy with this hotel. Sid, at the reception desk was ever so helpful and knew first hand about everywhere we wanted to experience. The hotel was clean, bed was very comfortable, rooms are well equipped with all you need. Minutes to the beautiful harbour, restaurants, night life, car rentals etc. Thumbs up for the Park Regis!

Room Tip: The higher up the better for a quieter sleep. Gets a bit wild late at night with all the night life...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SagittariusTraveler
Thank you for your great review. Our planned (and very trendy) refurbishment plans will further improve the property. Hope to see you back soon

San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 March 2014

When booking on line it's always a gamble when you arrive, but the minute we arrived at the Park Regis in Auckland I knew we made the right choice. Perfect location in the heart of downtown and within walking distance of nearly everything. The staff was amazing, Sid and Matilde at the front desk are overwhelming what made the hotel shine. They went over and above when we needed help, directions, pointing out places of interest or a rental car. The room was clean although it does get a little noisey on Fri and Sat nights. We had the room over Queen St on the front of the bldg. The outside noise made it difficult to sleep, we like the window open so it was our own decision, instead of turning on the A/C unit.
Before arriving I had read some reviews and read about one of the elevators that shakes, rattles and vibrates. I thought it might be and old review and would be fixed by the time we arrived, but it was not. I did not mind it, even when it took to the seventh floor when I pushed the fourth floor button, in fact I thought it just added to our experience and it is now just a fond memory.
I do not have a bad word to say about the hotel, in fact I recommend the Park Regis highly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ExpeditiousEddie

General Manager- Park Regis Auckland
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The hotel is located within minutes of walking distance from the ferry terminal and Queens Street shopping. There is also a New World supermarket nearby to get any groceries.One of the best hotels to stay for people without a car in central Auckland. Coming to the hotel, the room had kitchen facilities which made it easy to make quick meals. Free wifi is available only at the lobby for 100MB/30 min per day. Many people in TripAdvisor complained that the nightclub was noisy, however it didn't affect me on the 6th floor. In fact, we had a wonderful sleep on the comfortable and clean bed.

In short, a wonderful hotel for its location, service (thanks, Sid @ reception), cleanliness and worth our money.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GokulSP
Michael D, General Manager at Grand Windsor Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Thank you for the great review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay, particularly the service and location. Our new beds are proving a hit and our planned refurbishment means even more reason to return. The team looks forward to your next visit.

Thornton, Colorado
Reviewed 20 March 2014

the staff at the front desk were top notch and very helpful. Sid and the french girl that work the front counter need some well deserved praise. Their service and genuine care for the customer were exemplary and some of the best I have experienced at any hotel (even 5 star resorts). The rooms were a bit noisy, but should be expected for the excellent location in the center of the city. The TV only has about 8 channels and the movies for rent are very expensive. There is broadband in the room, but one would expect wifi service throughout this day in age. Wifi was only available for a 1/2 period once a day. Been traveling a ton and still don't understand why wifi is not free in these hotels. My allergies kicked in as a result of the dust in the room. THe room was not dirty really, but needed a good dusting (walls, vents desk top, etc). My advice to this hotel is pay attention to detail when cleaning. I think it would be easy and routine when cleaning so many rooms. Detail also as in a comforter with stains on it really should not be overlooked. With this said I do believe the new management is trying to make a difference. More time will hopefully be in their favor. Although I write a critique I don't agree with another review saying "look somewhere else". The location is what you are paying for and the rates if you compare are not bad. If you are in town for a couple of days I think it is fine. I stayed for a week and still was content. There is onsite laundry which I do not recall reading about and a "gym". The TV and ventilation in gym do not work and the equipment is old, but you could get a basic workout in. The les Mills and the city gym are about $25/day so free should be functional enough. oh…there is also a sauna which was a nice additive if you like them. If I am back in town I'll swing by and say hi to the staff there as they made my stay pleasant. I hope you enjoy your stay there!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Marazzani
I sincerely appreciate your detailed insights into our hotel, particularly the points on central location and nightlife. Fort street precinct is fast becoming the trendiest part of town with some exceptionally good options for restaurants, cafes and clubs. With venues like Everybody's Izakaya, Roxy Night Club and Fort Street Union amongst others our location really is a spot on. I take on board your comments on dusting and will ensure that no room is overlooked when it comes to this. You will be delighted to hear that we are undergoing a major refurbishment in the very near future which involves a total overhaul of rooms , lobby and restaurant.
PS: The front office team thank you for their special mention :)

Mike Davies - General Manager