“true information”

Ranked #43 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Wigan, United Kingdom
“true information”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We were given a room on the 8th floor when we arrived and were informed that the lift only went to the 7th floor and then you have to climb two flights of stairs. We told them that was no good for us as neither of us were very good with stairs.
we were then told we should have asked for a room served by the lift. If it stated on the hotel information about the lift only going to the 7th floor we would have done. We always do it if we go to a hotel that states 'some rooms served by lift' or 'lift to floor 4'. This hotel did not say anything about it in their information, i told him it should inform people on their web page.
we did ask to change but they said they were full.
once you finally got to the room it was alright, you were just so tierd!

Room Tip: Rather not
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael D, General Manager at Grand Windsor Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest,

My apologies for the response you got from our staff member. Had we not been full we would gladly accommodate your request. I have discussed with our online marketing team to implement your suggestions regarding the lift. Thank you kindly for your most helpful feedback.

Best regards

General Manager – Park Regis Auckland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oklahoma City, OK
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This hotel is close to all the action in Auckland. It had recently changed to Park Regis from Mercure. The staff was friendly and helpful. Don't bother with the continental breakfast, it is way overpriced for cereal and coffee. The rooms were OK at best. Per the staff they are getting ready to do a full remodel in the near future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that our staff made a good impression.
After recently taking over the management we identified the need for a more extensive breakfast offering which as of April includes a new range of continental options along with full cooked breakfast. I can say with confidence that breakfast is now a highlight for many guests.
The need for a full refurb was also identified and I hope we can get you back to experience the changes.

Best regards

General Manager – Park Regis Auckland
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Great location, close to everything, flew in for a concert airport bus stop 20m from hotel so not a problem to get to and from airport. Vector Arena about 10 mins walk away around the corner and up the road. Handy to shops, viaduct and Britomart. Room wasn't bad had a twin room, large closet room for luggage to put out of the way. Only negative was the club below but I knew that from other reviews so came prepared with ear plugs for a good sleep! For a busy city you're going to get some street noise especially with bars and clubs nearby. Mathilde at reception was awesome and very helpful. Hotel is abit tired but happy with what I paid for.

• Stayed April 2014
Michael D, Manager at Grand Windsor Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your kind compliments on our location, service and facilities. Mathilde is our service superstar and loves making a good impression. Our central location in the heart of Auckland's newest entertainment precinct is a huge plus for those looking for late night entertainment. We look forward to welcoming you back in future.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 April 2014

When I first opened the door I wondered what the unusual smell was, so the window was instantly opened, which was a bonus as I like to have fresh air. Still not sure what the 'odour' was, but it eventually became less obvious. The carpet was dirty, the bedside tables were stained & the lighting in the room is extremely dull. I booked a room for 3 people, so the one king & one single bed were fine, however there were only 2 cups & 2 towels for us. The phone in the room didn't work to request more items, nor could we have a wakeup call due to no dial tone. When I requested a wakeup call (due to the end of daylight savings & an early flight we didn't want to miss), I was told it couldn't be made to an international mobile number, & it wasn't.
Wifi was only accessible in the foyer, & considering most communication is done via the internet it would have been better if we could access this from our room.
After 2 nights at the Park Regis we have left exhausted. Our room was in close proximity to a nightclub around the corner and the music was loud and late both nights.
Although the Iocation is convenient to shops and restaurants, I can't recommended this as a pleasant hotel to stay in.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Windy6556
Michael D, General Manager at Grand Windsor Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Firstly thank you for your feedback. We value any and all feedback with the view to improve our services based on the feedback of our customers.

Our group is in the process of refurbishing the Park Regis Auckland as well as other properties in the group. Our plans include totally overhauling the rooms and bathrooms to bring them up to a much higher standard and aim to resolve the issues that you mentioned along with many other improvements. We are aware of the occasional noise issue from surrounding pubs and clubs. This problem is being approached from many angles including recommendations from an Auckland based sound engineering firm.

Unfortunately we have not concluded the processes mentioned as they do tend to take a while to complete.
Please accept my sincere apologies for not living up to your expectations but I can assure you that once we have concluded works we will certainly leave a lasting and very positive impression.

General Manager - Park Regis Auckland

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This was a rip off - the smallest hotel room I have ever seen. When I asked why I was I put in it I was told it was because I was a "single" and this was a single room - why was I charged the full rate?
When I asked if she had ever been in the room she said yes when asked if she would put her parents in the room she said no. You could not walk around the bed the room was so small. The bathroom was not much smaller than the actual sleeping area. I once slept at the top of the stairs in a bed sit house in London in the mid-sixties and there was more room there.
Appalling attitude to guest comfort - if you are single do not bother leaving your money here.
The reception area at the front entrance was filthy for the whole of my stay and if it was ever swept I did not notice.

Room Tip: Do not accept if given a small room as I was
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank GraemeMuse
You will be delighted to hear that after our recent takeover we, like you, have recognised the need for a major refurbishment and are embarking on a major project to uplift all aspects of this grand old building. My only regret is that we could not complete this before your stay.
We have various types and styles of rooms and would have been more than happy to move you to a larger room if requested. I have spoken to the contractor on site to ensure that we avoid any mess in the public areas. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Mike Davies,
Dingwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Booked two rooms in a hurry at airport. Location great. Close to shops, harbour and bus station. Grand entrance is not matched by elsewhere. Reception staff excellent and very helpful. Accessing hotel and reception area is not easy with large cases. Rooms were spacious well furnished but I felt were a bit tired, especially the carpets (also in hallways). We did not use any of the hotels other facilities so can't comment on them. Overall, I thought that we overpaid for what we got but that was my fault for not doing my pre-travel homework,

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dingdave
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed here four nights and were very happy with this hotel. Sid, at the reception desk was ever so helpful and knew first hand about everywhere we wanted to experience. The hotel was clean, bed was very comfortable, rooms are well equipped with all you need. Minutes to the beautiful harbour, restaurants, night life, car rentals etc. Thumbs up for the Park Regis!

Room Tip: The higher up the better for a quieter sleep. Gets a bit wild late at night with all the night life...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SagittariusTraveler
Thank you for your great review. Our planned (and very trendy) refurbishment plans will further improve the property. Hope to see you back soon