“Unsafe”

Ranked #53 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Sydney, Australia
“Unsafe”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The reception staff were friendly however the hotel is not safe! I would not recommend this to anyone as it was the worst experience in my life. My room was broken into at 4am, whilst I was asleep in the room. The reception could only apologize as they had no explanation as to why this happened or how it was possible. I felt unsafe being a solo traveler and would not want this to happen to anyone else as it was terrifying.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Carly L
Michael D, General Manager at Grand Windsor Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,

I am dismayed at your comments following our discussions on the alleged incident. Particularly given the fact we treat such allegations most seriously and that at the time all our security measures were checked and rechecked with the result showing that no entry into your room was recorded at the time in question with no further evidence of anything untoward on any of our security cameras. You alluded to a few other facts which turned up no evidence what so ever and furthermore the blasé demeanour in which you reported the alleged incident and the lack of details you provided showed no urgency which would be expected in such a “terrifying” situation. Under these circumstances, we deemed the matter closed.

Yours sincerely

General Manager- Park Regis Auckland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We were pleasantly surprised with our room. It was very spacious and even had a microwave and stove top. Everything was very clean. The room could have done with better lighting.
Our big issue was with them taking a $100 deposit. We were told our credit card wouldn't be charged but it was. On check out we were told it would take about 3 days to get our money back. Definitely not happy about this!
We didn't use the wifi as it is very expensive.
All the staff were very nice & helpful.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katie-a-r-7
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review and kind comments. I apologise for the mix up with the $100 bond. From my understanding the CC is not charged but instead a hold is put on the amount. I agree that three days is excessive when waiting for the funds to be reallocated and will take this up with our bank. We are also in the process of introducing an improved wifi offering with the goal of having free wifi throughout the hotel in the near future.

Mike Davies,
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 11 nights for business. The room was large and clean but basic and sparsely furnished. The bathroom particularly needs somewhere to put your stuff.The bed was really comfortable and while I normally sleep with hotel windows open, when the nightclub downstairs was pumping, it was better to leave the window closed to minimise, but not eliminate the noise. The location is great, very convenient to everything.

The exercise room is basic, but then it is also free so what do you expect? It is good that it is available.

The staff on reception were really friendly and helpful.

The small things - These aren't major problems, just frustrations:
wifi - not in the room at all, I see this as a basic commodity these days - I can get unlimited free wifi in a $45 a night hotel in the middle of nowhere USA. Wifi was available in the hotel lobby,but then there isn't even a bar there to sit and have a drink or something while browsing
Housekeeping was a bit hit and miss in terms of the restocking of the room
where is the plug for the sink?
lighting - I have been overseas alone for the past 8 weeks. I read a lot to pass the time, especially when there's no wifi, but room lighting makes this hard

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review and kind comments. We have subsequently introduced a system whereby wifi routers can be obtained from reception which would facilitate a wifi signal in the rooms.

Mike Davies,
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Centrally located at the end of Queen St just across from Britomart. Rooms are spacious, nicely decorated and have kitchenette. Lighting in the rooms could be improved. Breakfast is good and staff are friendly and helpful.

Downside of a vibrant central city location is the rooms are noisy on most sides of the hotel due to adjacent bars, there is not much that can be done about that. Even with ear plugs its pretty bad and occurs on weekdays as well as weekends. Rooms higher up and facing Queen Street preferable if available. If you sleep solidly or are there for the bars then no problem!

My rating simply reflects the noise as in all other respects its a good option.

Room Tip: Top floors may be a bit quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for noting the great location, staff and breakfast. Regarding the noise issues we are working in tandem with the clubs and bars in the area to minimise any effects on the hotel. Ironically a lot of our clientele stay with us for this particular reason – to have access to some of Auckland’s trendiest inner city night spots and dining precincts. The majority of our rooms are not affected by the occasional noise from the surrounding area however. The main contributor to the issue had a massive function on involving many of our guests during the period of your stay.

General Manager - Park Regis Auckland

Travellers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 May 2014

If you are looking for a great location, but not willing to pay much, this one is OK.
Staff friendly and helpful. Good breakfast. Very mean on Broadband and the parking mentioned in the advert, is at Britomart, with a voucher for the night, and at $38.00 for the night, not really worth it.
We dumped the car and the Airport Bus stops meters from the hotel. Room was small and very plain.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Michael D, General Manager at Grand Windsor Hotel Auckland, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments on our breakfast, location and the friendliness of the staff. With regards to parking it seems as though the website you booked through has inflated the parking prices unacceptably (along with a string of other misrepresentations which our online marketing team will address) Our standard charges for parking are between $25 and $35 per night depending on location. I hope to see you back in future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Tired, old, grubby. My first room had someone's hair in the shower. Nice. I asked for a different (clean) room and they 'upgraded' me to the 8th floor. I had to drag my massive suitcase up the stairs as the lift only goes to the 7th floor. When booking this hotel through a well known travel company, I specifically asked for a hotel with WIFI/LAN because I was travelling alone and it was important for me to be able to contact people. However, you only get 30 mins of free WIFI. That's it! I had to go across the road to a fast food place and use their WIFI to talk to people back home. The location is great and the bus from the airport drops you right outside. The receptionist Elise was awesome, very helpful and accommodating. I didn't hear any noise from the club as mentioned in other reviews because I was out partying.The breakfast was ok. To be honest, I was too hungover to care...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and my apologies for the standard of cleanliness in your room. I am glad that Elise could place you in a better room straight away. The points you raise have been discussed with our housekeeping team.

I am glad to report that we are reviewing the current wifi and LAN packages to hopefully offer free wifi in all parts of the hotel and hope to have you back to experience the changes.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I booked a deluxe queen room online and saved 40%, it was definitely the best hotel deal I've found so far. The room was huge, with a lounge and kitchen. The location was perfect, it is a short walk to Queen's Wharf, Britomart Transport Centre (and train station), buses, airport bus, Intercity Bus stop, shops, etc. The products in the rooms were either environmentally friendly or organic products, which I think is a big plus too.

There was only three negatives: 1) the nightclub downstairs, the first night I stayed was a Saturday, and the music from the nightclub was so loud and didn't stop until around 4am Sunday morning. The other nights after that was quiet; 2) the housekeeping lady was a bit slack, one day she forgot to make our room; 3) there's no free wifi in rooms, this didn't really bother me as there was 30 minutes free wifi down in the lobby.

This was the cheapest and the best accommodation I stayed during my trip to NZ. I will definitely book this hotel if I visit Auckland again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I am glad to read that you left with such a positive impression. Our website regularly has these awesome deals on offer. Thank you also for noticing that we are doing our bit for the environment. Pity about the nightclub pushing the noise boundaries on that night but I am glad to report that we are in close consultation with all parties concerned to implement a range of changes as recommended by a reputable sound engineering firm.

I look forward to your next visit.