The Sebel Quay West Auckland
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Stamford Plaza Auckland(Auckland Central)
  • Restaurant
Grand Mercure Auckland(Auckland Central)
  • Room Service
Hotel Grand Windsor(Auckland Central)
  • Free Internet
M Social Auckland(Auckland Central)
  • Free Internet
  • Fitness centre
Hotel DeBrett(Auckland Central)
  • Breakfast included
Shakespeare Tavern & Hotel(Auckland Central)
CityLife Auckland(Auckland Central)
  • Pool
All reviewsseparate laundrylarge balconygreat locationhigh floorcorner suitethe sofa bedone bedroom apartmentaccor memberlaundry roomalbert stfull kitchensky towergreat apartmentwasher and dryerroad workslonger stayapartment hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed for 7 days at the Quay West Suites, Our overall experience was pleasant. The only thing that was disappointing was the shower as this did not work properly from the first day when we got there but was fixed within a few days (would have been sooner if not for the public holiday) once fixed was very good. The spa was hard to get and out of as there are no rails to grip for assistance.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a high floor apartment
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed at the property for 4 nights while holidaying in Auckland. It had it's good points and it's bad points. Let's start with what went well.
1. The arrival experience was pleasant. The trainee receptionist was very polite and helpful.
2. Our 1 bedroom suite was spacious and clean, though it was a little dated.
3. The location is central and though we rented a car, we didn't have to use it very much within the viaduct area. There are quite a few good restaurants in the area.
4. The wifi is free if you join the GHA Discovery programme, which is also free to enrol.

However, I might not be going back to the hotel again for the following reasons:
1. They are rather stingy with their toiletries. Only 1 small tube of shampoo and conditioner for 2 persons. And the quality was poor. This should only happen in budget hotels, which Quay West Suites doesn't claim to be.
2. A female housekeeper had a really bad attitude (and I had to encounter her twice). On the first day, when I approached her for an extra tube of shampoo and conditioner, she was busy chatting away on her mobile with her friend while at work and simply nodded when I asked for more toiletries. This was after waiting politely in the corridor for 1 minute for her until I caught her eye. Guess what? In the end, she didn't even place the toiletries in my room as agreed. The next day, my room wasn't cleaned when we returned at 4 pm. The same housekeeper was sent to my room after I made a call to reception to ask for the room to be serviced. When she arrived, she told me bluntly that I should have left the "Make Up Room" sign on the door if I wanted my room cleaned in the morning. This was surprising, to say the least, because no one at any high end hotel has ever said this to me.
3. The receptionist at check out looked like he had a bad morning. I just gave him my credit card, signed the bill, smiled politely and left.

In summary, my stay at Quay West wasn't terrible. But it wasn't good either, especially not when the rates are comparable to the other 5 star luxury hotels in the area. I might try another hotel when I next visit Auckland.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TropicalKwek
Reviewed 15 February 2012

quay west is a well located hotel in the center of Auckland,although a litlle dated it still has a nice feel.Lovely pool.Very relaxing feel and a nice dining room

Room Tip: room facing the sea
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroomed apartment suite for three days last week and it was absolutely superb - excellent for families or friends wishing to be together but also to have a degree of privacy. The ensuite bedroom was beautiful with a full length balcony that stretched across to the lounge area and we had beautiful views of the cruise liners coming into dock. The second bedroom had views of the city, was well positioned for access to the second bathroom / shower room and was also a good size - as was the overall apartment (no squeezing of suitcases through tiny hallways or corridors believe me!). The kitchen was well appointed and the room totally soundproofed so no problems with neighbours or traffic. At night standing on the balcony and watching the hustle and bustle of the outside World go by was in total contrast to the sense of comfort and serenity offered by the apartment - and extremely relaxing indeed. The apartments were clean and well maintained and the decor modern with a powerful air conditioning unit which made our stay all the more comfortable. The reception staff were courteous and tried their best to help whatever the query and the bar / restaurant staff equally wonderful (the eggs Benedict for breakfast was to die for too by the way!).

Overall, being fairly regular travellers, we all thought that this was a remarkable place and superb value for money - if you want an apartment that offers all that you need for either short or longer stays and well positioned in the heart of the city only a short walk away from the Viaduct Harbour and Queens Street shopping areas / bars and restaurants this should be your next pick - seriously. You'll have a great time I'm sure, as we did...

Room Tip: Rooms with harbour views / corner suites are well worth asking for...for a special occasion would also suggest trying the three bedroomed top floor apartment if you're travelling with more people - if it's at least equal to ours in design and furnishing it will be luxurious I'm sure
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ricky361
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Accompanied by our three year old grandson, we arrived early at the Quay West Auckalnd.
The reception staff although busy were friendly and obliging, and organised our bags to be secured as our room was not quite ready.They apologised for this, but as we were 2 hours early for check in, it was hardly their fault.
The room, ( 1707) was a corner suite as requested with a great view of the harbour.
It was well appointed with everything you would require for a short or long stay.
The rooms were spotlessly clean and the second bedroom, perfect for a small child as well as adults.
If I have any criticism, it is that although the showers were rain showers, there were no shower caps supplied, which i found surprising in a 5 star hotel, also there isn't any information on the hotels facilities in the room and I had to call reception to enquire as to what floors the pool and cafe were on.
Coming back from the pool at 4.30 pm, dripping wet with a tied ,hungry three year old only to find that the housekeeper had just started our room was a little Inconvenient to say the least, as we were pretty much left to hover still dripping unable to shower while he frantically tried to get our room done.
It was a Sunday and I wonder whether the staffing levels may have caused this but it was a real pain.
Room service was timely and the food and menu were great, so full marks there.
Check out was painless and once again our bags were stored for us.
All in all, I found the Quay West to be a great hotel, it's location is very central, and the staff were always very obliging.
I would recommend.

Room Tip: The corner suites are definately worth the extra. We were on floor 17 and would possible go higher next time.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family