“Back after a year and it only gets better!”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Back after a year and it only gets better!”
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We stayed here a year ago and it was fantastic! This year... even better!!

There was a new doorman but the young man at the concierge desk remembered us and we had a good chat before we went up to our room. WOW! The view never gets old.

The carpets had a few marks but when I spoke to the front desk the mentioned that in just a few weeks they are changing all the carpets. I guess they actually listen to the feedback from guests. There was also a new restaurant being built (three actually but one right in the lobby). We heard a bit of the noise while enjoying our drinks in the lobby but it was still one of the most beautiful bars we have seen in the city with great piano music and twinkling candles everywhere.

After a very relaxing sleep in we checked out at noon. The desk sent someone right away for our bags and had our car waiting as we requested. We grabbed a coffee in the lobby and were off.

We would Just like to say that the staff at the Grand were some of the best we have ever dealt with. We thought that nothing could top our last trip here, which is why we came back, but they proved us wrong. Thank you to all of them.

We could get used to this treatment!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
hotelteamAuckland, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
Dear Sweetstra

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

Lovely to hear that you enjoy returning to SKYCITY Grand Hotel, I am sure you see a lot of positive improvements to ensure that we continually evolve our product to ensure our guests experience is always a memorable one.

Yes, please to advise on 7th of August we shall begin our project of changing all the carpets in the Grand Hotel, to a lovely chocolate brown filigree carpet which is lovely and luxurious underfoot. The project will complete on 7th of September, however the hotel will operate as normal through the project as there is no noise involved as everything is worked on offsite, and then just installed on site.

We also have a few other upgrades happening in the rooms and corridors at the same time to ensure our rooms are 100% perfect condition.

We are very proud of our champagne Lobby Bar, and the harpist and piano players and ambiance, I honestly think we have the best job in the world, to work everyday in this lovely environment.

But as you mentioned, it truly is the people that make the experience, we understand that there is a lot of choice for customers these days, and the only difference at the end of the day, is our people that create the moments that you remember.

We would like to thank you for the recognition of the team as they always go the extra mile to make every encounter with a guest, a special one, and from your feedback, they succeeded that with you.

Please drop me an email on your return visit, so that I might thank you in person. and show you some of the developments that are about to be completed.(caureen.mcatee@skycity.co.nz)

Until then

Hotel Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I arrived at the hotel mid afternoon so the hotel reception area was pretty much empty. As renovations are taking place (A new restaurant) reception was moved around the corner nearer to the lifts.

I have stayed here a few times in the past and booking direct with the hotel will get you some fantastic room rates. For this trip a City View room was only $NZ157+ which I consider very reasonable

Unlike some other comments, I found the staff friendly and never had any issues over my 2 night stay

The good parts of the hotel is the location (directly opposite the casino) and is 5 minutes walk to the best gym in the world (Les Mills Auckland on Victoria Street). Perhaps the hotel should think about arranging free passes for guests as the hotel gym itself is poor, even by hotel standards) The hot Buffet Breakfast is superb and worth every cent of the (albeit expensive) $39 price tag

However despite all this as a business traveler I wouldn't let recommend this hotel to any of my staff or colleagues if they are visiting Auckland for business

The deal breaker is the absurdly miniscule quota of Internet Access given to you ($NZ29 for 100meg). I used this up in 10mins on a email sync and a single Skype call on the 2nd night. The 1st night this "generous allowance" was used up in 4 hours on normal CRM, email and website browsing

As a comparison. The Pullman (ex Hyatt) in Auckland have a 4Mb/s unlimited service for the same price

To the hotels credit, they did refund me the internet charges. But no business traveler could make do with what is effectually a crippled service

If the hotel was to have a reasonable internet plan then I will return but for my mind the nickle and dimeing on added services left a bitter taste on what should have otherwise been a pleasant visit

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank alessiman
Dear Alessiman

Thank for you taking the time to write a review on SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I am pleased to hear that the staff were friendly and that you enjoyed your stay with the exception of internet access.

We have been listening to our guests and understand that internet access in New Zealand in general, 99% of hotels charge due to various reasons, the main one being that there is a third party vendor/supplier involved.

SKYCITY Grand is pleased to advise that we have been working on a solution to combat this, and hope to make an announcement very shortly which will surely please you and our guests, the team at SKYCITY Grand is certainly very excited.

Until then, we have just completed the refurbishment of our Business Centre, where we offer free internet, and we offer free wi-fi or internet in the Lobby Bar, Reception, Terrace Restaurant, Conservatory Lounge which is being well received, however we are working diligently on the major offering to our guests - details to come.

If you would like to drop me an email on caureen.mcatee@skycity.co.nz I would be happy to advise you direct of the new enhancements to our property to restore your faith in the property from an IT perspective, as you enjoy the rest of our facilities.

Hotel Operations Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Perfect palce to stay for business or leisure. It's in the heart of the city, next to the SkyCity Tower & Casino.
Lot's of good places to eat close by & the rooms are spacious. Great value for money.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We are in the final stages of the sign off process for a full hotel room refurbishment – we are very excited about this and hope to welcome you back in the future to experience our new rooms. We are also pleased to announce that we offer complimentary WIFI access to all hotel guests.

Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Had a very nice stay. Paid US$ 150 without breakfast for a double. A great deal in central Auckland.

Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank strawberita

Adelaide
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I stayed for 4 nights at the Skycity Grand Hotel in Auckland, and the overall experience can only be described as "average". There were some fantastic aspects to the whole experience, and some very negative aspects also.

The good parts of my experience would have to be that one or two of the staff members provided excellent service, on demand, without complaint. I should point out that I'm not a demanding hotel guest, but I will call reception if there's a problem. The food from room service was of a very high standard, although they probably should offer more selections which are 'basic' fare, rather than silver service restaurant type food. On a couple of occassions I went out for something more basic. The room itself was pretty clean when I first arrived. The room and furnishings are definitely not what I am used to from a 5 star establishment though. It would be best described as 4 star in this area. The bed was very comfortable though, and the room nice and quiet. Great sleep quality!

The bad parts seemed to overshadow the good, simply because of how frustrating some of these problems were. Firstly, SOME of the Skycity staff need serious re-training in customer service. Some need to be sacked for pure laziness. Most of this revolved around daily room cleaning. As I said, I was there for four nights and my room got cleaned ONCE, even though I put the correct sign out on the door handle every morning. The one time it was cleaned was when I rang reception and asked them to send someone up to make up the room. The man who came to do the room cleaning (while I was in there) complained the whole time and asked questions like "Do I have to vacuum?" or "Do I have to change the towels?". The answers were blatantly obvious had he simply looked. In addition to this, I had two other occassions where a request was simply ignored until I called back twice over a two hour period. Not good enough. One other point about the staff is their complete lack of english speaking abilities. I'm talking about people taking room service orders or answering the reception phone. In my opinion, NZ is an predominantly english-speaking country, therefore your staff at a 5 star hotel should speak english proficiently if they're in a customer service role. Also, the bathroom layout is terrible, making it very difficult to get in/out of the shower because of how the doors open.

Finally, I was not given the inclusions I was promised such as Skytower tickets, free cocktails etc. I could have asked, yes, but it wasn't important to me. It is still good customer service to ensure these are offered at the least when a guest has been promised that particular package.

Overall, Skycity Grand Hotel is an average 4 star establishment.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2011

The rooms are well equipped and comfortable, and the harbour views are good (a 50-50 chance). The hotel is a little away from the city centre, but its only a short walk.

The downsides are that the gym is small and often crowded, and the breakfast rush is a bit daunting. The real downer is often having to wait five minutes or more for the lift in the morning rush...after multiple trips to NZ it was the main reason I preferred other places even if their rooms were perhaps a bit less attractive.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We have stayed at the Grand before and loved it. Unfortunately, our latest stay was not so grand. When we arrived we were "upgraded" to a better room apparently. The view of the harbour was nice, but the stains on the carpet were not really what you would expect. The door "key" locked us out early, instead of our late checkout time. This happened last time, and I specifically asked the staff to make sure it did not happen again. The biggest problem was that the room was cold. I turned up the heating when we arrived, but 20 hours later, the temperature was almost exactly the same as it started(which was chilly). We did point this out to the duty manager, but nothing was done to fix the problem. Also, the spa pool was empty the day we were there.

On the good side, the breakfast at the Terrace was once again excellent..

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CR111
Dear CR111

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

We are about to embark on a month long project starting on the 7th of August removing and replacing the old carpet with a luxurious chocolate brown filigree carpet in all the hotel rooms. This project will complete on the 7th of September and the hotel will operate as normal through this project. We are also doing some other maintaince work in the hotel and rooms at this time to ensure our rooms are 100% perfect.

I am disappointed to hear of the air conditioning problem in your room and will address with the duty management team as to why this was not rectified as we do have excellent heaters in the rooms, I do apologise for this, this is not our normal standard, and as you mentioned you have stayed here before and loved it.

Again, in our continual improvements of the hotel, we are re-tiling the spa pool and we did have to empty the spa for 24 hours to ascertain the work involved to have this project completed, the spa will be retiled mid-month for the enjoyment of our guests, however i appreciated that this did not help you during your stay.

I would be delighted to discuss this further direct at caureen.mcatee@skycity.co.nz to restore your faith in SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

Look forward to hearing from you.

SKYCITY Grand Hotel