“Perfect location”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We were booked into the casino hotel, but they upgraded us into the Grand. We certainly did not complain. The room overlooked the harbour. The bathroom was almost the same size as our lounge room in our house. Nothing appeared too much trouble for any of the staff. The only complaint, and it is a minor one, is that the receptionist failed to mention about the car parking arrangements. One of the porters in the Sky city hotel itself told us that if we were driving in and out of the car park more than once a day, then it was cheaper to use the valet parking. It is such a shame we failed to get his name. He was SO friendly. He refused to let us wheel our cases across the road from the casino hotel to the Grand. Whenever we walked through the entrance, he remembered us.
This was our first time staying in the SkyCity, and it will not be our last.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
hotelteamAuckland, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Dear Ianb111

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the harbour views during your time with us, and I have passed your comments onto the team regarding their high level of service.

Johnny our commissionaire was the gentleman that remembered you, he is a star at the front and remembers all guests, he is Auckland famous.

Thank you for comments on the parking arrangements for our guests, I have reminded the team of the importance of explaining this to all guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for SKYCITY Grand Hotel

Reviewed 19 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at this property Feb 26-Mar 5, 2011. We travel extensively and I haven't had much time to review the various hotels we've stayed at until just recently. The room itself was contemporary and clean. Not bad but not necessarily "spectacular" for a 5 star. My only gripe is regarding their internet service. I would caution others to double check the internet terms and conditions carefully before using it. We use the internet at almost every property we've stayed at and it is almost always free or, at least, provided at a reasonable rate. In this day and age, where free wi-fi is offered at virtually every coffee shop and hotel, I'm always surprised to find some hotels still charging their guests a daily rate. My husband needed to do some work online and discovered (too late) that the fee that was levied changed with the amount of information that's being up/downloaded. He was directed to a website where he was supposed to sign in to obtain access. The language at the sign in stage was unclear and misleading (my husband is a physician and a techie and I'm a lawyer). When we complained about it to the hotel front desk, we were told that it was a third party and that we would need to speak with them. We were also given the manager's card to email a complaint regarding this matter. My husband sent an email but received no response. I thought this was disappointing for a 5 star property. We ended up going to a nearby coffee shop to use their internet (with drink/food purchase). As for other aspects of our stay, we thought the tapas restaurant across the street was very good and I liked the easy access to shopping areas.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank VancouverSrfrgrl

Dear Vancover

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to report, that since your stay in February, we have a new internet provider and we offer the cheapest rates for internet in Auckland. We also have daily and weekly plans, and low download (checking emails) to large downloads (streaming movies etc) packages which are also available at various rates.

We also offer free internet in the Lobby Bar, Terrace Restaurant, Business Center, and reception area, and with the new provider you can use multiple devices from the one log in.

The feedback we have had from guests has been very positive and I am sure you would be happy on your return to the hotel with the offering.

We have also changed soft furnishings in the room since your stay as well.

Once again thank you for the opportunity to tell you about our new internet service.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

We are travelling around the world working on a super yacht so have stayed at many different hotels but I have never WANTED to write about them before. We offer a ridiculously high standard on board and it was incredible to find somewhere that offered us the chance to receive the same!
We stayed in Auckland just one night but I'd love to return again- the valet, concierge, check - in (with french macaroons for you to enjoy!) everything had been thought of- it was a real pleasure and you felt every part of the experience upon arrival to the foyer. The fresh flowers, piano playing softly in the corner and exquisite champagne bar gave you the feeling you were definitely going to spend the night in comfort!
The room was fantastic- warm, friendly and had incredible views of the city and harbour as the day changed to night you could watch it come to life! We chose to take the pampering to the next level and ordered room service for breakfast and yet again expectations were surpassed - the extensive menu did not just sound delightful but arrived hot in the morning and tasted fantastic!! We really enjoyed our stay there and even had a treatment in the spa the morning afterward ( one of the best customer care spas too)
All in all it was great to see a team work and carry a consistently high standard across the board to leave me WANTING to write and share this hotel with everyone- all I can say is WELL DONE GRAND HOTEL!

Room Tip: Room 1601 had a great height over the city and no one next to us! Perfect!

Dear Helen B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you had a wondersul experience at the Grand Hotel.

Our team works hard to ensure that every little detail is thought of from the first moment you arrive, until we say goodbye at the end of your stay, we have found that its a continual evolution of our product to ensure that we remain the top 5 star hotel in Auckland.

Thank you for your lovely comments, which have been passed back to the team.

Until your return,

Reviewed 13 September 2011

Well, the room rates here are not cheap in Auckland by any means. But for what you pay, you get a luxurious and spacious room, great location in the city center and beside the casino. It is just a short 5 to 10 minute walk to the ferries. The reception staff was very good and professional. I had requested to print out an important document from an e-mail and they obliged immediately. Concierge was also helpful and thoughtful. I also managed to get a 2-for-1 voucher to go to the top of the Sky Tower!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear ALim76

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to hear that our staff were pleasant and professional during your stay and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your lovely comments have been passed to the team.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The room was pleasant and fairly clean nothing different or interesting. Some of the staff were pleasant, others just did not understand customer service, and came across as indifferent. The breakfast was very average, was expecting a much higher standard, disappointing. I have also stayed at the other hotel at this casino and found the rooms just as good, and more importantly the staff were excellent, friendly and kind which enhanced my experience, perhaps they could mentor their team mates across the street!

1  Thank millymm

Dear millymm

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to hear that the room was pleasant and clean.

I am disappointed that some of your experiences with some of the staff was indifferent. Noting from other guests experiences on tripadvisor, this is not the normal level of service that we offer at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, and I shall be following this up with the team.

We normally receive very high reviews on The Terrace Buffet Breakfast and I am sorry that this did not live up to your expectations.

Thank you again for your feedback which I shall be addressing with the team.

Reviewed 10 September 2011

One of the nicest rooms I've ever had, and the rate was surprisingly cheap. Really modern, but what made it was the beautiful view. We wanted to go to dinner at Ballota, the tapas place next door, as we had been told it was good, but it was closed (Monday). We went to Dine instead, which is in the hotel itself. It was really expensive and the food was just so-so.

Dear JustineKa

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you enjoyed the modern room, but more importantly the great views of Auckland from the hotel.

Bellota by Peter Gordon is a sensational bar, and they do the most delicious goat cheese balls drizzled in honey which you should try if you get the chance to return.

Your lovely comments have been passed back to the team.

Reviewed 8 September 2011

Hey let's get one thing straight right away,these guys redefine the term "great service".they got it worked out real great.we were on our honeymoon and trust me ,I felt that we were being pampered just like we would be back home by our family!!genuine warmth and caring,and the complete intent to exceed our expectations..in all aspects.grt rooms,fantastic location,and service straight frm the heart.We've been in hotels all over the world n this one is right up there,!!sincerest regards and appreciation to Alycia(at reception) and Kevin (d regal n friendly concierge)n d manager at the helm of things caureen mccatee.good leadership indeed!!no complaints,absolutely.

• Stayed: September 2011

Dear Vikram

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

It was lovely to welcome you and your wife on your honeymoon to the hotel.

I have passed your lovely comments back to the team, and thank you for the lovely mention, we do try our best to ensure that all of our guests feel at home when they stay with us, and I am delighted that you and your wife had a lovely time.

Congratulations on your recent wedding, and perhaps you will have a chance to return to Auckland where we can welcome you back.

All the best for the future.