“Perfect for that special treat”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Skycity Grand Dec. 30th and enjoyed a pre-new year's dinner at Orbit in the Sky Tower. Friendly staff, easy check in, great sky bridge to the casino/restaurant. Delicious ordered in breakfast, just the right amount of luxury for the right price. Robes & slippers with a view of the harbor, can't beat that!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We are in the final stages of the sign off process for a full hotel room refurbishment – we are very excited about this and hope to welcome you back in the future to experience our new rooms.

alison.borland@skycity.co.nz

Write a ReviewReviews (2,646)

Reviewed 21 January 2012

I loved loved loved every second of my stay. it was our anniversary last night and our stay
was worth the time and money. From the moment we arrived we came across these friendly valets and reception satff. All staff were so efficientl and of course glad to help.
A splendid outcome for our occassion!

THANK YOU SKYCITY GRAND! ALL ARE REALLY GRAND IN HOSPITALITY....

Room Tip: not sure... but do visit this place...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 January 2012

We spent 2 nights at SkyCity Grand. Absolutely faultless. Friendly, helpful staff. Easy check in & out. Immaculate room. Great location. Just stay there!

Room Tip: We were late for dinner...all decent dining venues in the casino were fully booked so we checked out...

Reviewed 20 January 2012

It makes me soooo angry to read some of the negative reviews on here about the FABULOUS Sky City Grand Hotel!! It is my absoulute FAVOURITE place to stay during a visit to Auckland and for the people like me who only desire to have the finest things in life, look no further.

Arrival to the Hotel was splendid, I booked one of their luxurious Mercedes limousine transfers from Auckland Airport and felt like a real star being whisked away from a crowd of hopeless travellers waiting for taxi's and shuttle's to arrive. The big beautiful black sedan seemed to just zip through the hectic Auckland traffic with ease thanks to our lovely and professional chauffer (who I sadly forget the name of!) - pulling up to the Grand Hotel entrance on a busy Saturday afternoon there was definately lots going on but the staff are obviously trained at the highest levels to deal with such happenings, as soon as we arrived, the wonderful commissionaire opens my door, greets me by name! and welcomes me back to "The Grand", I turn to get my luggage from the trunk however another concierge (with help from the driver) has already got it ready on a trolley and is pushing it inside the magnificent lobby - I have arrived!

The driver escorts me to the HUGE reception area that is decorated with the most beautiful floral arrangements I have ever seen at any Hotel, the entire hotel lobby smells of fresh vanilla and the most darling french macaroons are placed next to every receptionist allowing for an extra treat during a usually quite boring experience of registering your details - nothing is ever boring at The Grand! The staff are ALWAYS so happy, courteous and REAL. It makes me so angry to read some reviews on here where people judge them so harshly and call them un-proffessional (they are anything but!) I admire them as by reading some of the previous posts on this website of people finding the SMALLEST things to complain about ("...the huge barron space on the way to the elevators is random and confusing....") - hello! its called a galleria! I believe people like this should not be allowed to stay at such fine hotels and kindly advise them their are other (much "less-confusing") options - such as the 3 star motel next to the airport.

My suite was stunning as usual, the harbour view always a bonus. Clean and spotless, beautiful and modern decor and every aspect of hotel life has been thought about with a very adapt gymnasium, spa, sauna area right next to the beautifully long and clean indoor heated lap pool.

Booked in at the exclusive East Spa at The Grand for the next morning, was quite lucky to actually get in as I left booking a bit late - nothing but the best and I always feel a million dollars when I walk out of East, just amazing! Thank you Erin for continually looking after me and always offering the most friendly personality, you are an asset.

Ive dined at Peter Gordon's famed restuarant 'Dine' many times in the past so was excited to see a new celebrity-chef restaurant addition to the Hotel, The Grill by Sean Connolly is a new favourite on my list, I could go into detail about everything I had but honestly I dont think that would help, trust me - you just NEED to try it. Its amazing.

Had a light meal at another new place with my husband the day we were checking out, right next to the enchanting lobby, Depot Cafe (also part of The Grand) was BEAUTIFUL! If you like seafood like my husband does, definately go there - they shuck Oysters right in front of you! So fresh! Not so keen on the tap wine though, im a bubbles girl - and for all my other bubbles ladies (or men) out there, I had the most scrumptious magnum (yes, magnum - it was a special occassion) of Moet at The Lobby Bar while listening to the wonderful pianist play on the Grand piano.

Not sure if I should mention this, but im not suprised The Grand Hotel has gained the notable attention of Hollywood celebrity, we were absolutely shocked to ride the elevator down to the lobby with one of the Worlds' most famous comedians! They must have had a show or something on and im now kicking myself I didnt ask the Concierge for details about this, in the past they have been excellent with helping me get tickets to the most saught after concerts and theatre performances - they must truely have some powerful contacts!

Check out was lovely, a young man looked after us and ensured we had everything organized for our trip back to the airport (this time travelling with family friends) and the porters were so attentive (as usual) the doorman Kevin continually remembered our names during the stay which I think adds a real personal touch. As we waited happily in the gorgeous lobby for our friends to arrive, I watched all the other guests come and go from the Hotel, it definately is a place for the gorgeous people, beautiful girls dressed in designer clothing, super high heels with expensive Louis Vuitton luggage stoll the marble floors, happy families enjoying a laugh with Kevin, obvious tourists admiring all the wonderful art adoring the walls and looking wonderfully amazed at their new home away from home. It truely is a magical place and now people must be thinking I am just mumbling along, but for those who have stayed at The Grand - you will know EXACTLY what I am talking out.

I have already booked again for my next New Zealand getaway, and can not WAIT!

Fabulous.

Room Tip: Splash out - treat yourself to a harbour view room or suite. Views to die for!

Reviewed 19 January 2012

The Skycity Grand is known as one of the top hotels in Auckland being 5 star and part of the Sky tower and Casino complex.
Even though is was good, I felt slightly underwhelmed based on other 5 star hotels I have stayed in recently.
The room was very average and small. The staff were efficient but not that friendly.
The breakfast choice, quality and range was excellant although the service was missing and not that friendly.
Having stayed at other hotels in auckland, I would rate places like the Heritage higher than the Grand even though its not 5 star.

Room Tip: not much choice, we faced the opposite hotel looking into 200 windows.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2013

Dear thepaulharper

Thank you taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your feedback allowing us the opportunity to identify areas which we can improve on.

We have some very exciting developments taking place over the coming months. We now offer free unlimited Wi-Fi and have 3 new eateries opening and a full rooms refurbishment taking place. We are really looking forward to this and I am certain you will be impressed with the new look.

We hope to welcome you back to The Grand, please contact me directly before your arrival and I am certain we will meet if not exceed your expectations.

Kind Regards

Alison Borland l Guest Relations Manager l SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Alison.Borland@skycity.co.nz

Reviewed 18 January 2012

As a regular user of several hotels in the Auckland region, SkyCity Grand offers the best overall service package without question.

The level of professionalism from all staff involved is almost unrivalled in NZ. I find all of the rooms on offer to be clean and comfortable, well appointed and suitable for both business and personal travel. I regularly use all the facilities on offer which never disappoint. And you are spoilt for dining options with dine, The Depot and even the room service menu offering fantastic quality food.

The team at dine by Peter Gordon take the service offering to an entirely new level, and if time permits sit down to enjoy the Degustation.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 January 2012

Walked in off the street on NYE and was able to get a room (a bit pricey). The room was on the 20th floor and was very nice.

Lobby bar is amazing for drinks and light meals, highly recommend it.

We ate dinner at the sports bar across the street in the casino, terrible food!!