“Wow”

GreenLeadersGold level
Orewa
“Wow”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

just had a weekend at the Grand on one of the hotels special packages, cannot fault any of it, is on my do again list and I only live 30 minutes from it

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We are in the final stages of the sign off process for a full hotel room refurbishment – we are very excited about this and hope to welcome you back in the future to experience our new rooms. We are also pleased to announce that we offer complimentary WIFI access to all hotel guests.

alison.borland@skycity.co.nz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland
Reviewed 8 February 2012

My partner and I celebrated a recent anniversary with one of Sky City Grand's special overnight packages. It lived up to our expectations. The room was well set up. The staff were friendly and professional. And on learning of our anniversary, they were quick to send us a note of congratulations and provide some complimentary SkyCity offers.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

I stayed at the Grand for two nights, the rooms are nicely decorated and comfortable. We ate at Depot restaurant which is excellent. All the restaurants close to the Grand looked good, and it was also within walking distance to the lantern festival and the shops on queen street.
The gym is really well equipped and the lap pool was a good length.

The valet parking ended up being a bit of a mix up and I am sure it would have been quicker to get the car myself, but other than that a great stay and I would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2012

Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 7 February 2012

The Sky City Grand is across the street and somewhat fancier than the Sky City Hotel and Casino. The rooms and service were great for our one night stay. We arrived via cruise ship and the hotel is less than one mile from the docks. This is a 5 star hotel and the restaurants and their prices reflect that. We ate accross the street and were able to watch live NFL playoffs.

Room Tip: limited but nice views. We were upgraded and had a wonderful view of the bridge and harbor

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 February 2012

The room was great - can't complain at all. I believe we were on 17th floor.
The bathroom was spacious and very clean, with multiple light selections (spotlights, mirror lights, main lights) for a relaxing bath if wanted :o)
Bed was very comfortable, and pillows were lovely - unlike the flat pillows you tend to get in hotels. Sheets were thick; I would say a very high thread count!
Even though this hotel is in the centre of the city, you couldn't hear sounds of traffic or people at any time of the day/night.

We chose valet parking at $30 per night. Some may think that's a little steep but we were only there for 3 nights, and for this fee you can request to have your car brought up an infinite amount of times. It also saves the hassle of having to find parking yourself under the Casino or elsewhere.

'The Coffee Club' is just around the corner from Sky City Grand, and they do nice breakfasts... However, customer service lacks here a little. I think they may hire backpackers regularly, so the language barrier can be difficult.

Walking straight out of the foyer and across the road, you are met with the Sky City Tower and Casino entrance - very easy to get to.

Now regarding the 'Posh Judgement' quote;
I won't explain the entire story, but after we checked in my partner went back downstairs for a smoke (non-smoking rooms) and upon his return passing the reception desk, was asked questions by a staff member, along the lines of "Do you need any help?", "Are you sure?", "Are you looking for someone?", in a particular tone that implied that the staff member didn't think HE would be staying there... My partner finally said he was heading up to his room via the lift, to which the man seemed surprised but at least stopped asking questions.
It doesn't matter what someone looks like; whether it be the clothes they wear or the colour of their skin; their money is just as welcome as anyone elses... Staff at Sky City Grand: don't judge a book by it's cover please!

This is the only "problem" we encountered at Sky City Grand. All other experiences with staff were perfectly fine, and very helpful. I would stay here again - in fact we tried booking for Jan 2012, but unfortunately they were booked out for the room we wanted.

**Unable to upload photos... Problem with Trip Advisor**

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank csr_shuga

England
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I stayed here as part of a trip downunder and was in Auckland for 3 days. I had come from Greymouth on the south island which was an amazing experience, so was looking forward to stopping in a comfortable city centre located hotel.

I will write this in two stages. The room and the hotel was one of the best that I had stayed in, really luxury as a backpacker. That is, once I got the idea of using the room card to get the lift to work. The view outside of the room, wasnt the best but it was nice and airy overlooking the hotel and conference centre across the road. I was really impressed, the bathroom was really posh very clean as was the room etc.

That was the good. The not so good. I arrived in Auckland mid afternoon on a Friday I think it was and had a whole bag full of washing that needed doing. I enquired with room service about getting it done and to say the word extortion does not do it justice! You pay a fee for each item something like $6-$8 for briefs and shirts and shorts, trousers etc. gets more expensive. To have my laundry done was going to cost me about 200 as there was a weekend 100% surcharge.

When I asked if they could do it any cheaper as I was travelling on a budget they would not. Their internet options were also really expensive, although I give that they had free internet useage in the lobby area, although it is there in a way that it makes stopping on for too long an inconvenience. I would have been happy to pay but again it was really expensive, so I resorted to going to one of the internet cafes across the road.

All in all, if you are after comfort then I would say you can find no better, very centrally located to the city within easy close walking distance from the harbour but for anything else ie. eating in the venue or washing etc. it is one big rip off!

I found the attitude of the staff, not always the most friendly. Would I use them again? Possibly but I would make sure that I went with clean washing!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo

brisbane australia
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Booked in two nights on a business trip in Auckland. The breakfast was fantastic. Also had dinner at Dine by Peter Gordon which was underwhelming. Basically this is a casino hotel so nothing actually special about the hotel itself. They have some great rates from time to time on line and is very convenient if you are attending at conference at their convention centre otherwise nothing special to recommend it.

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
Dear cookieabroad

Thank you taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your feedback. I have ensured that the team at both The Terrace and Dine have received your comments.

We have some very exciting developments taking place over the coming months. We now offer free unlimited Wi-Fi and have 3 new eateries opening and a full rooms refurbishment taking place. We are really looking forward to this and I am certain you will be impressed with the new look.

We hope to welcome you back to The Grand, please contact me directly before your arrival and I am certain we will meet if not exceed your expectations.

Kind Regards