“Baby Grand way to spend a weekend in town”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Baby Grand way to spend a weekend in town”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and I chose the Grand to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary primarily due to its reputation and central location. We were not disappointed. The booking and check in process was effortless. The contents of the package were outstanding. Valets were polite and efficient. Reception staff were beyond reproach, friendly, helpful and efficient. The package highlights (bubbly and chocs) were amazing and delivered daily as promised. The view from our 'city view' room was not too bad and only ever really spoiled by the weather. The room and general decor were not really to our personal taste with a kind of mustard on mustard on brown feel that you would possibly get from an interior decorator type but, overall clean, tidy and comfortable. The Terrace breakfast was fantastic and resulted in not needing lunch for the day! Also dined at Bellota one night and were not disappointed, great food in a great atmosphere. The pool, gym and sauna were fantastic. A great way to unwind and relax after a day of being dragged around the shops!! All of the staff we interacted with were friendly, courteous and professional - they made you feel right at home and nothing was too hard. Overall the experience was fantastic and we will definitely be looking at another stay sometime.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank olddadnz
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Dear olddadnz

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grand Hotel, I was delighted to read your feedback, that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to passing it onto the team.

Congratulations on celebrating your 10th wedding anniversary and look forward to welcoming you back.

Alison.Borland@skycity.co.nz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We spent one night here on the Baby Grand Package as a bit of luxury at the end of a campervan trip - and we were not disappointed! Everything from the efficiency of the check-in, the friendliness of the staff, the comfort of the rooms and the extensive breakfast made for a very relaxing stay. The Baby Grand Package included breakfast for two, a bottle of champagne and a yummy chocolate platter on arrival and late check-out - which allowed us to make use of the Spa on the ground floor. The swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi were clean and plenty of towels supplied. The location is central, within minutes of the SkyTower and not far from the quay front. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone looking for a bit of luxury.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline H
Dear Caroline H

Thank you for your review of The Grand Hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay on our Baby Grand Package and thank you for recommending us to other TripAdvisor viewers.

I do hope you enjoyed your New Zealand holiday and had a pleasant journey home.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel. The staff remained friendly and helpful one our second stay. The difference was in the cleanliness of our room. The shower curtain had mold all the way around the bottom for at least a foot. This did not happen overnight. More care to cleanliness required.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Patricia W

Thank you for your review and I do apologise that we did not meet our usual high standard of cleanliness.

Our Executive Housekeeper has received your feedback to share with the team and should you wish to contact me the details of your stay, I will be pleased to hear from you.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My stay was only short as i stopped over in Auckland for the night however i was thoroughly impressed by the welcoming and helpful staff! The check in process was easy and efficient and my room was much more than i expected - definitely exceeded my expectations, the photos did it no justice! Would recommend to anyone, wish i could have stayed longer! Thanks Sky City Grand :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear bryleas

Thank you for your review of The Grand Hotel and for recommending us to other TripAdvisor viewers.

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Christchurch
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I stayed last night at the SkyCity Grand in Auckland. The quality and class of the hotel is expected and lived up to expectation. Without doubt one of the best hotels in Auckland. What made the difference though is two things which made the stay just that little bit better. One is free Wi-Fi in the hotel. This is such a good idea. It really isnt a massive cost for the hotel and there is nothing more frustrating that having to pay the bill to check a few work emails. Having free wi-fi is a superb addition to the hotel. The second was not long after I checked in I was delivered a drink and a bowl of nibbles and a welcome card from the head of guest relations. You know, this isnt a huge cost to the hotel but it shows they really do care about their guests and you do really feel welcome. These are the sort of things that will make me come again!

Room Tip: The 21st floor rooms are superb!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ChristchurchJono
Dear ChristchurchJono

Thank you for your review, we are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at The Grand Hotel.

We have recently introduced free and unlimited WiFi which is proving very popular with all of our guests.

We hope to welcome you back to The Grand Hotel in the near futre

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed upon arrival to Auckland from Australia with no idea of what to expect. OMG great setting, wonderful setting, everyone helpful and friendly. Special thank you to the big man in concierge, great personality he went out of his way to be helpful. Rarely do you visit any hotel on one occasion and have someone remember you. The suite we had was quite a surprise, comfortable does not truly describe our room. Quite, despite having a casino in the building. Surprisingly, coming from USA, no smoking was allowed in the casino a plus as far are we are concerned. Staying in Auckland this is your hotel.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Dear PatriciaW

Thank you for your review of The Grand Hotel.

I was delighted to read your feedback and will take great pleasure in passing your comments onto the team, and particularly to our Commissionaires.

I do hope you enjoyed your vacation in New Zealand and we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Dust, dirt and old food under a door; Fraying furniture; significantly chipped furniture; a DVD player that three staff couldn't fix; a lift that didn't work properly; unaware and disinterest staff; and a hopeless marketing disconnect - and all this for $NZ900 per night (two interconnecting rooms, one $550, one $450) . We've stayed at the Grand a few times over the years. Its location is handy if you don't need to be near the water. But this was the worst accommodation experience since backpacking in Asia 15 years ago. The pictures show some of it.

We had interconnecting rooms. The lady came up to open it (why do they never do this without being asked?) and I asked for a chock to keep it open (because there wasn't anything!). She went away and I noticed something she hadn't - the gap between the doors was crusted with dust and dirt and old food (while she was away I also spotted the room key pouch with the slogan "You're about to discover Luxury On A Grand Scale". Hmmm.

She put the chock in the door without even noticing the mess. I mentioned it to her and said with a smile it didn't look so much like luxury, she shrugged with embarrassment and went for a vacuum. The family was getting organised and I went to the window, immediately noticing the sofa next to it which was frayed across the entire centre. It wouldn't pass muster in second hand sale (LOAGS?). I was now on a bit of mission. Glancing down at the floor I observed the table and chair legs. Now these are going to get knocked overtime, but these looked like someone had had some kind of battle with them (LOAGS???). We retired depressed but not defeated to a great dinner at a nearby restaurant.

On the way down we passed the restaurant Dine by Peter Gordon. It has recently closed but the sign outside said: "Due to the exiting developments taking place at Sky City, Dine is closed." Now, my wife and I have must have eaten at Dine more than a dozen times over the years. In the first years it was a favourite restaurant. Classy space, fabulous service, with stunning fusion food. There will a number like us who rue its passing, although we know things change. Is Sky City Grand tight for money in the marketing development that they have to employ high-school students to write copy like this? (Apologies to smart, talented high school students). It's a bit like the "Luxury On A Grand Scale". For those of us who can JUST remember the likes of the Regent, it was scarcely true when the Grand opened - but it's a joke now. There are a range of tried and true (and authentic) ways of "announcing" the closure of a place like Dine. "Goodbye friend, we had a blast. Stay tuned for what's coming up" or "After 10 great years, Dine has closed. We welcome the start of the next 10 years in a few months."

The rest of the evening went well, and we returned in time for some DVD watching. I couldn't get the DVD channel going on the archaic TV they had and so phoned reception. They said they would transfer me to concierge and they would talk me through it on the phone. The concierge talking lasted about a minute and he said he would get a technician up.

The "technician" arrived, and I recognised one of the guys who had been on the door when we arrived. He spent a few minutes fiddling and then phoned for advice. No luck. He said he would have to get a technician. I said isn't that you? They new "technician" arrived promptly. He looked more like the night manager, and he spent 5 more minutes fiddling and then, guess what, he said he would have to get a technician. By this time I did not believe they existed and so thanked him for his efforts and said not to worry (LOAGS????). I also mentioned we had had a few less than luxury experiences since we arrived and he shrugged with an embarrassed smile - much like the lady earlier.

The following morning we left, and as the elevator door opened I saw the lift had not reached the ground floor! So we had to lift the bags and step out of the lift like this we were in the third world (where this has actually happened). I couldn't take much more LOAGS!

Checking out I mentioned (nicely) that we had really been disappointed with the standard of the hotel and I mentioned some of the issues. The manager overheard and she gave the line I see often used on Trip Advisor that they are about to upgrade the hotel rooms. I could have pushed it (seeing other Trip Advisor guests had got a 10% discount for complaints) but the kids were with us and I didn't want to make a scene. She hand over the bill saying with a smile she had comped our room service (two coffees and three croissants). So that made a $1000 bill only $975....

Now, I know these are first world problems that too few of us are fortunate to have. But I thought the Trip Advisor community would be pretty frank. I looked at other reviews and was just astonished at how good the rest of the reviews are. Clearly no-one has stayed in the corner room on level 19 that we stayed in! (Or maybe we are just too particular!)

I have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world (I guess everyone says that with a review like this), I can't recall a worse aggregate experience. Perhaps the Sky City Grand isn't interested in "luxury" hotels - they certainly have no idea how to run one. But they also don't seem to know how to do a repair job, or cope with problems/change. Their refurbishment planning has clearly failed, but why not do things like get rid of the LOAGS marketing. I have stayed in rooms where they advertise the start of their room upgrades, but these are usually just old-fashioned styles - not broken or damaged furniture. This is unacceptable in a much lower standard establishment.

One thing Sky City does do is respond very assertively to Trip Advisor comments. So I'm sure Alison will soon reply with "How important it is to get feedback like this" and "They are disappointed to hear they didn't meet expectations: or "They are in the final stages of deciding on refurbishing the rooms" or "The feedback will allow them to identify areas to improve" or (my favourite) "Please don't hesitate to contact me directly should I return to Auckland".

So, as you may have gathered - never, never again. And LOAGS? Lazy Out-of-your-depth Attempts At Giving Service.

Room Tip: Avoid the level 19 corner harbour view room.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TheTruthisreallyhere
Dear TheTruthisreallyhere

Thanks for the review of The Grand Hotel. We take great pride in everything we do here at SKYCITY Grand Hotel. We have a number of fantastic individuals in our business whom are considered hospitality professionals and we have gone through your comments in detail.

As a Hotel we are led and driven by how our guests judge their experience. If the feedback received both on review forums and in person is accurate it tells us overwhelmingly that we are indeed doing plenty of things right. I and we as a team certainly acknowledge there are opportunities to improve every day and we constantly discover ways to be and do things better. I firmly believe that we continue to advance on the right track and personally I am extremely proud to lead this Hotel and this team into the refurbishment programme and our attempts to one day soon be the number 1 hotel in New Zealand. We have a way to go yet I understand.

I note your frustration at our feedback to reviews so I will simply say sorry we let you down and that we have noted all of your comments. We take them very seriously.
I wouldn’t like you to take offence by offering you a discount or inviting you back to experience SKYCITY Grand Hotel so I have decided to leave things here and trust that you understand our disappointment and embarrassment that we have not met your expectations.

Thanks & Regards