“decent price for what you get”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
akld
“decent price for what you get”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed here with 2 friends.. We got a room with 2 double beds.. Beautiful bathroom and small fridge/minibar.. We also checked out the swimming pool and spa which were nice! There was also a small gym and sauna.. Nice and close to everything in town and connected to the casino.. Awesome place to stay when you're going out on the town!

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear riaAkld

Thank you for reviewing The Grand Hotel following your stay earlier this year.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us with your friends. There have been many changes since your stay, with new restaurants opening and from November 18 we will also have our new refurbished rooms available to stay in.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to experience all that we have to offer.

alison.borland@skycity.co.nz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This is a really good hotel. Rooms are spacious, modern, very clean, and comfortable. Wifi free and reliable.
Good location with plenty of good eats right outside the door. Would definitely book here next time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear rdehavil

Thank you for your reviewing The Grand Hotel.

I am pleased we met your expectations and you enjoyed your stay with us. Free Wi-Fi is a real bonus when away from home and it’s great to hear that you will return to us in the future.

We look forward to your next visit.

Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Every time we go to Auckland we stay at the Grand. The hotel itself is located in a superb spot and within easy walking distance of the Viaduct and other attractions. Hotel and rooms are very very smart and clean with great facilites. All the staff are friendly and offer an efficient service with a smile - they go the extra mile to make you feel special!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear GFamily30

Thank you for your review of The Grand Hotel.

I am delighted that we are your hotel of choice when staying in Auckland and that the team look after you on each occasion – we take real pride in offering great customer service.

We look forward to your next stay at The Grand. Remember to have a look at our website for details of our new rooms which can be booked now for stays from 18 November.

Bay of Plenty Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We picked this hotel for it's great location, amongst restaurants and bars. We went into the city for the weekend to watch the show "Wicked" and enjoy a weekend away. We dined at "The Grill" and "The Depot". The food and service at these restaurants was great. The hotel was everything we asked for and delivered on service, amenities and cleanliness. We have only ever stayed here as a crash pad for one night on other occasions, so haven't appreciated the services on offer. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear badpistol72

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel, it sounds like you had a wonderful night weekend in Auckland and pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I agree that we are in a fabulous location in the city with most attractions within walking distance and all that SKYCITY has to offer on our doorstep.

The team at The Grand look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This hotel stood out from the start when researching online for a hotel to stay at. Their web site provided the information I required. Where as others were very sparing in their information and previously I have found buying without full information to be very disappointing.
The hotel is centrally located and was ideal for me to do a little business and a variety of social entertainment.
On arrival, and throughout my stay, the staff all stood out for their friendly and hospitable service.
We stayed in a King Suite and the room was very neat clean and meet the expectations I had from visiting their web site.
There is the facilities of the Casino across the street and the surrounding streets have a number of small and enjoyable restaurants and eateries.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Cedric C

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our website informative and helpful when booking.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed for 4 nights on a business trip... a last minute decision as there had been a mix-up with a booking at another hotel and I needed to find a room fast. I literally booked and turned up 10 minutes later. I found the reception staff to be very welcoming and helpful and they upgraded me to a harbour view room. The driveway staff - doormen, valets and concierge are execptional. Kevin the doorman is an absolute treasure. He made me smile every morning. My room was large - the sofa was a welcome change from having to sit on a bed to watch TV. I really appreciated having a separate bath and shower - and contrary to another reviewer, did not find the floor slippery. Yes, there is not a lot of choice of TV channels, but the picture quality was fine. If you want to go the movies, the cinemas are only 500m away.
I had a room right at the end of the hallway, and it was probably one of the quietest rooms I have ever had. I heard no noise from outside at all. I turned the fan on the air-con right down and it was not an issue either. The free wi-fi is one of the best I have encountered in a Kiwi hotel. I believe they are renovating the lobby soon and will install a new bar.
The gym and pool are also of good quality, and well equipped.
The hotel is in a great location with plenty of choice for restaurants and cafes nearby. I have stayed in a lot of hotels in Auckland, and I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: The view from the "harbour view rooms" is really worth it. They face west so you get spec...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Becca3189

Thank you for reviewing The Grand Hotel on Tripadvisor.

What a pleasure to read your review – I am delighted the team looked after you. We take a real pride in delivering excellent customer and I look forward to sharing your comments with them and in particular with Kevin our Commissionaire.

We are in the final planning stages and will be opening an all day dining area in the lobby where guests can relax. We are also due to commence our room refurbishment with our new rooms available from 18th November. This will certainly take The Grand Hotel to a new level and we look forward to welcoming back in the near future to experience the new look.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I booked SkyCity Grand online back in February 2013 for a 4 night stay Sep 26-30. The website was very good at describing room options, and available services. We also used their Limo services to have a town car to pick us up at Auckland airport (following a lengthy 20 hr trip from Atlanta, GA, USA.) Driver met us, gave us some friendly tips on way to property. We had an easy, pleasant check-in. We had reserved a Harbor View room - and they even upgraded it. As we arrived quite early, about noon, the room was still being cleaned. So we had a delicious lunch in the adjacent Grill restaurant.

The room was large, well-appointed and had a GORGEOUS view! Internet was easy to access and free (big plus for us, as we used it to stay in touch with work and home).

Hotel location is terrific, as you can walk all around the main shopping areas on/off Queen Street and down along the Harbor. If you like casinos - they have one.

As we were in town for a family wedding, we made good use of the Limo service to take us to further locations on North Shore. The hotel was so nice, comfortable - we recommended it to another relative who changed hotels and was very glad they did.

And when we missed our flight to Tahiti due to bad weather out of Queenstown, we returned to the Grand for an additional, unscheduled night on Oct 3rd, because we enjoyed it so much. Had another fantastic meal at The Grill. Same excellent service.

The only 'CON' I can mention: Room service was not exceptional. They were rather slow and the food was average. We ate later in the Terrace for the buffet, and it was a little better.

Recommend this property and would return again!

Room Tip: The view of the Auckland Harbor is so lovely, it's worth the little extra, in my opinion. On our...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear DMLehman6

Thank you for reviewing The Grand Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to read your feedback following your stay with us and will certainly pass your feedback, both positive and constructive onto all of the teams.

Our Limo service is a really great option for our guests and I am pleased the team looked after you.

I do hope you enjoyed your visit to New Zealand and we look forward to welcoming you back should you have to the opportunity to return.