“Sumptuous rooms and awesome breakfast”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 July 2008

There are plenty of hotels to choose from in Auckland but Sky City Grand just next door to the Sky City casino complex is a fantastic place to stay.

Great location within the heart of Auckland and just a ten minute walk down to Viaduct Harbour.

The rooms are super. Huge king beds, massive wardrobe, fantastic bathroom with walk-in shower and bath. I loved the amienities from the East Day Spa which housekeeping topped up everyday.

Little touches such as hot chocolate and cookies in the evening and do upgrade to b&b. The breakfast is just amazing - choose from a huge selection of hot things and a massive spread of continental things. We totally gorged on our breakfasts here and never had to eat lunch - infact we were still groaning by dinner.

I could go on and on...free internet in the business centre (you do have to pay for wireless) and lovely staff. When we come back to Auckland we'll be back in a flash.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Desparately_seeking

Reviewed 12 July 2008

We stayed in the Grand for 2 nights on a late deal so the reduced rate accommodated our budget. The overall experience was wonderful and the location brilliant to enjoy the sights of Auckland. From the impressive reception to the comfortable,clean and modern rooms to the polite staff and excellent service. The room was a good size and all fixtures appeared in good order. We then moved onto the Hilton which had an overall tired and worn appearance in comparison to the Grand. The complimentary Cinema Gold tickets were welcomed and we indulged ourselves in the luxury of waiter service and reclining chairs. The location of the cinema could have been included with the tickets just as a helpful tip for those unfamiliar with Auckland.
The parking was a little confusing initially and we did make the mistake of entering the public parking area and spent 10 minutes trying to get out which cost us seven dollars. We were then accommodated in the Grand parking area at an excellent price for city parking.

We were fortunate to enjoy fantastic weather so the views from our room were excellent. Other great facilities enjoyed were the lap pool and gym which are a must do.

To conclude the Grand lived up to its name and we would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MartynImogen
Reviewed 8 July 2008

Great room with a fabulous location. Everything very clean and service from the staff was 1st class. Breakfast at the hotel, the buffet, is worth the price. The hotel is centrally located in Auckland which makes getting around very easy. Its location right next door to Sky City and the the Sky Tower gives you entertainment at night though the Orbit restaurant suffers from poor food quality although the view is fabulous. Even got to see bungee jumping from the top of the tower. Would definitely stay here for any future visit.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank olympicoscar
Reviewed 13 June 2008

Booked a bay view room for a trip to visit relatives. The hotel is billed as one of the best in Auckland in the new 'Wallpaper' guide.

The hotel design, layout, rooms, quality furnishings and formula are indeed impressive. The niggling annoyances were the very poor level of welcome received on arrival......I'm not precious or fussy, but when a hotel bills itself as a 'cut above' the average, I would at least expect the valet parkign attendants and porters to actually get off their colective arses and help guests on arrival.

As me and my wife struggled in the rain to lift bags and accessories from the car onto the concourse, three attendants sat texting on their phones and pretended to ignore us as we tried to politely indicate our need to hand the keys over for valet parking.

I had to queue up to check in, while my wife hung around by the car, waitinmg for the valet parking attendant to do something. It took nearly 30mins from arrival to check in, unload bags, get the car parked and actually have anyone bother to assist us. Not waht you expect for a $300 a night so called 'premium service hotel'.

On the upside, a good breakfast, nice gym, comfy rooms. Service was indifferent and spoiled an otherwise enjoyable stay.

I

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2008

The SKYCITY Grand Hotel is not the usual type of hotel I would choose to stay in. By nature I prefer a more classically styled property like The Goring in London or The Observatory Hotel in Sydney. I was in Auckland on business and the location suited.

I must say I was somewhat surprised, my room was on the 18th floor and had a westward outlook taking in the Harbour Bridge and Westhaven (forgive me if I have got that wrong) Marina. The room featured a large window and the late winters afternoon sun streamed in. The room was coloured in warm neutral tones with a deep scarlet coloured throw over on the base of the bed as well as a matching bolster. I loved the framed photo's of country scenes on the wall, they are quirky a little like the kiwi's themselves.

Whilst New Zealand has lacked in a service culture it would appear in-roads have being made. A special mention must go to the hotels Concierge Jim a former Liverpudlian who supports Everton (no ones perfect) you can tell he has a passion for his job and I enjoyed his dry wit.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2008

Needless to say, this hotel has great location. Right inside of the Skycity complex and very close to other attractions, too. The hotel lobby is very stylish, room is nice and spacious. The east day spa products in the bathroom are delightful. The decoration in the room is geared towards a more modern style. I was surprised to see a traditional analog clock on the night stand instead of a more standard digital alarm clock. (No flat screen TV either). It actually took me sometime to make sure I did set the alarm correctly. Is this a retro throwback or design oversight?

Hotel check in and check out was quick and easy. I did not eat at the hotel restaurant, so can’t comment on that.

Overall, it is a great hotel to stay in Auckland.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 28 April 2008

I live in Auckland, but me and my boyfriend stayed here for a night out together. We loved this hotel - the lobby is stunning and the rooms beautifully decorated, and extremely clean.
We are students, so staying in a 5 star hotel was really just a novelty for us (at a really great rate of $175 for one night)! We didn't order any room service, and the mini bar prices were horrendous, but we just bought our own snacks and a few bottles of wine for ourselves (the cheapest bottle of wine was about $42 in the mini bar), but all mini bars are expensive. The room has a really decent stock of mugs and glasses, including champagne glasses and wine glasses, which we used. The tea and coffee chest was really plentiful, and the coffee was really nice! The only downfall was really that we had to use the bathroom tap for water and to fill up the jug, other than that they only have bottles of water for $6.50.
We didn't eat there, opting instead for dinner in Ponsonby. We did, however, eat at the cafe accross the road for breakfast, which was a great price and delicious! The Atrium bar in the Sky City Complex was also great if you can't afford the prices in the Lobby bar, it was priced greatly and had really good sized servings of delicious bar snacks for cheap.
Anyway, I should get back onto the hotel itself. The bathroom was gorgeous, had both a roomy bath and a shower which was really nice, and the complimentary toiletry set was nice.
The pool was nice, but they didn't just have a pool for relaxing in, it constantly had lane swimmers in it. The spa was really nice to relax in, as was the sauna. The gym had really up to date equipment.
We heard no noise from anywhere, not from the city below or the other hotel rooms which was great
The king bed was HUGE! Very comfortable.
Check in and check out took less than 5 minutes combined.
This hotel is good for those without a lot of money who want a luxury night if you can get a good rate, and would be wonderful if you had money to splash too!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple