“A perfect night”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We recently celebrated my husband's 70th birthday with a party in the private room at The Grill. Since we didn't want to drive afterwards we checked in to the Sky City Grand Hotel. It made the whole evening a wonderful one. From the friendly greeting at the door where the doorman arranged for our car to be whisked away, to the friendly reception staff the whole experience was great. From our room on the 17th floor we had a whole new view of our home city. The staff at The Grill arranged with a staff member of the hotel to carry all the birthday presents up to our room after the party. The rooms are quiet and extremely comfortable. Altogether a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear wjam

Thank you for reviewing The Grand Hotel following your recent stay with us - I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us on your special day.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future and again Happy Birthday from all the team.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I travel to New Zealand frequently for business and I always stay at the Skycity Grand. I have tried lots of hotels in the CBD and can find none better that this one. The staff are always friendly and helpful and the Restaurants are second to none. The rooms are quiet and comfortable and always clean and well stocked. I recommend this hotel to all travellers both buisness and holiday.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Keith B

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.

It is lovely to hear from one of our regular guests and I am so pleased that we are your hotel of choice when visiting Auckland

We are in the process of refurbishing our rooms with the first floor now complete -don’t hesitate to contact me prior to your next stay to see if we have any availability.

We look forward to your next visit to The Grand Hotel.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed at the sky city grand a week ago to catch up with some friends in Auckland. Check in took a long time as there were a group of 5 people checking in in front of me and only 1 reception staff and she checked them all in one by one,,,,so was left waiting for a long time and no other staff or management to help and no recognition that I was waiting or to get anyone to help.
The room was good quality and comfortable and nice local amenities. Mini bar well stocked and bed was comfortable.
Breakfast was pretty average and if you want to see a good buffet for much better value then
walk across the road to crowne plaza and you will not be disappointed.
Overall disappointed with this 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear experiencedir,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I do apologise for the wait you experienced upon check in, and I have addressed this with the Front Office Manager and his team. Since your stay, we have relocated our breakfast restaurant, to the Grand Hotel Lobby. Gusto Cucina and Bar is an italian inspired restaurant, and our buffet breakfast is simply amazing. I do hope that you visit again so that you can try it.

Thank you again for your feedback. Should you visit Auckland again, please get in touch with me directly so that I can arrange your reservation for you.

Kind Regards,

Colette Leonard | Rooms Division Manager | SKYCITY Grand Hotel
colette.leonard@skycity.co.nz

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in October 2013, Beautiful hotel & ambience, from checking in to out staff all very friendly & helpful. Package included tickets to sky tower which is wonderful what an amazing view went before dusk & stayed til dark an experience not to be missed. Our room on the 19th floor had a great view overlooking, it & it was lit up pink for breast cancer, very pretty. Beds absolutely beautiful & comfy good size room & nice bathroom . Ate over the road at Rebo in the Sky City Casino, very handy as arrived late. Good buffet breakfast included in package also. Beautiful hotel would thoroughly recommend a stay here & glad we did. Handy to walk everywhere & a Countdown just around corner handy for us to stock up for our road trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Lulu09

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to passing your feedback onto the team – we take real pride in looking after our guests.

We are certainly in a prime location in Auckland with the iconic SKY Tower on our doorstep.

Have fantastic time in New Zealand and we hope to welcome you back to The Grand Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Good things:
- Great location: close to casino, marts, restaurants, short walk to viaduct.
- Nice rooms: simple functional rooms
- Well stocked mini bar: slightly expensive but not far off minimart prices around here

Bad things:
- No housekeeping after 7pm. Maybe its a norm in New Zealand but paying $300NZD a night here and to be told my room cannot be serviced because there's no one left? What am I paying for? This greatly irked me although I had my towels changed I find it unacceptable at a highly rated hotel with slightly expensive rates.
- Twice my door was knocked on, to clean the room and to re-stock the minibar despite having a DO NOT DISTURB sign there.

I get a hotel to sleep, and to return to a comfortable room and my job/meetings/schedule demands me to sleep thru the afternoon before heading out. What am I supposed to do? Wake up in the morning or halfway through my sleep to get my bed made, linen changed, rubbish removed and room service remains picked up?

Room Tip: Please make sure they DO NOT DISTURB when you have a DO NOT DISTURB sign out. Ask for high floor fac...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear BrassBryan

Thank you for reviewing The Grand Hotel following your recent stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. This is certainly not the high level of service we take pride in and rest assured your feedback has been discussed by our management team and shared with the their respective teams as a training tool.

We do hope to welcome you back to The Grand Hotel – please contact me directly prior to your stay and I am certain we will meet if not exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We had two nights at Skycity Grand Hotel after driving around the North Island for 4 days. It was a great location to walk to most things. Across the road from the Sky Tower, we spent our last afternoon there taking in the view and then having a coffee in their coffee shop while looking back at our photos from our trip.
The restaurants are great with an awesome atmosphere, Federal Street Deli was a favourite.
The room was very clean and spacious and we had a beautiful room of the harbour.
We really enjoyed our stay at Skycity and would definately stay again.

Dear Emma B

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.

It’s lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass your feedback onto the team.

We are in the process of refurbishing our rooms with the first floor now complete and welcome you to have a look at our website for all the details.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand Hotel.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel is located in the Sky City complex in downtown Auckland, right next to the Sky Tower and Sky City Casino. The harbor, with access to ferries, a maritime museum and many restaurants is a five minute walk, downhill, a little longer up hill back to the hotel. The room had modern decor, a picture window view of the city and a very comfortable king size bed.
We were able to walk to the nearby art museum and had a great dinner at the top of the Sky Tower. We did not take advantage of the Sky Walk or the jump from the tower and left those adventures to the younger generation.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to enjoy the view, especially sunset.

Dear 1Vegas2008,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel. It was great to read your comments, and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel, so if you are ever back in Auckland please get in touch with me directly so that I can arrange your reservation for you.

Kind Regards,