“More than a beautiful view”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed at the Skycity Grand Hotel from December 28th to January 1st (including NYE). We booked a Luxury Harbour View room because we wanted to watch the fireworks from a great location Initially, they placed us in a room on level 14th with very limited view. After I expressed my discontent via a Tripadvisor review, the manager of the hotel contacted me an re-located us in a much better room. I'm really impressed by the prompt solution I received to my review. The manager and his team were very professional and ready to assist
Apart of the fantastic view, I would like to highlight other excellent elements of staying at this Hotel. Their food is excellent, the breakfast buffet is of high quality and variety. The service at The Terrace is excellent also. Check in and check out process were very efficient and accurate. The gym is small but has enough resources and the business centre is clean and well equipped.
In summary, we had a great end of the year in Auckland and a big part of it was thanks to the Skycity Grand Hotel. I strongly recommend it and I will be happy to come back to the same Hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a Luxury Harbour View. If possible, ask for a room above level 17th.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Chevalierlatin,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us at the Grand Hotel.

We encourage our guests to engage with our team members on reception, if they are dissatisfied with any element of their stay, so that we will have the opportunity to ensure the rest of your stay continues smoothly. We are also very active on Tripadvisor, and take any review very seriously - when I read your review, I was disappointed that you were not enjoying yourselves at our hotel, however I was pleased when the team were able to offer you and your partner an alternative for the rest of your stay.

We take pride in the service that we offer, so I was pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay over the New Year period. We strive for excellence in all areas, at all times, and I am glad to read that you had a wonderful experience.

We look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel again soon - please get in touch with me directly, so that I can assist with your reservations.

colette.leonard@skycity.co.nz

Write a ReviewReviews (2,646)

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed at the Grand Hotel in December 2013.
This hotel is located across the Skycity casino in the heart of Auckland.
Our room was really nice with a fabulous view on Auckland's bay but the bathroom was a bit too small for us.
Unfortunately, there were some loud roadworks at the entrance of the hotel plus the gourmet restaurant was close!
Luckily, the staff was very helpful and nice. A special big up to Kevin who welcomes each guest with his great sense of humanity

Room Tip: Rooms facing Auckland's Bay are exceptional
1  Thank Moanaura T
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear Moanaura T,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

We pride ourselves on excellent customer service, and I was pleased to read that you dealt with Kevin during your stay - he is one of our shining stars!

We do apologise for the works being undertaken right outside of the hotel - this is all in preparation for the upgrade of Federal Street - it will become more pedestrian friendly, and allow the street to have a more vibrant feel to it. The works will be completed in May 2014.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon - please contact me directly so that I can make your reservations for you.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

The accomodation is First class, the location sensational, the restaurants fantastic and the only hotel I have found in Australia / New Zealand that offers free wi-fi!
This is great for business travellers and families alike!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Nicholas R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Grand Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay - the complimentary WiFi makes a lot of diference, doesn't it?

We are very lucky to have over 20 restaurants and bars at SKYCITY - Masu by Nic Watt, The Grill by Sean Connolly and Sugar Club by Peter Gordon to name a few. We are looking forward to opening another restaurant in the hotel lobby in the next 6 - 8 weeks.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon - please get in touch with me directly, so that I may arrange your reservations for you.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed at the Grand for three nights from 27/12/13 - 30/12/13. The rooms are nice but the service and hotel facilities themselves leave much to be desired. The Grand is not a cheap hotel and I expected the staff to go above and beyond for customers but they would not help accommodate us with restaurant bookings, service was slow and never exceptional - always average. The location was good but unfortunately over this time (the busiest time of the year!) they were performing major roadworks right in front of the hotel, so we would hear jackhammers from 8am. We thought this hotel would blow us away, and to be honest it was hardly impressive.

1  Thank Sinead_Booth

Dear Sinead B,

I was disappointed to read that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us.

The roadworks taking place out the front of the hotel are to enhance Federal Street and make it a more pedestrian friendly street for our hotel guests and other visitors alike. Works finish outside the hotel at the end of January, the street will be 100% completed in May 2014. We do apologise for any inconvenience you experienced during the works - we have worked with the council, who are undertaking the works, to make the arrival and departure experience as seamless as possible.

We pride ourselves on excellent customer service, and I was disappointed to read that you felt that this was not the case during your stay. I have passed your feedback on to the relevant department managers, so that it can be used as a training tool with the teams.

We do hope that you will visit us again soon - please contact me directly so that I can assist with your reservations.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We arrived super early morning from a 14 hour flight from Vancouver. We were exhausted and jet lagged. We were fortunate that we were able to check-in. The reception was friendly and efficient. Our room was great. We faced the back of the hotel towards the Crowne Plaza but didn't mind because it was quiet. The front of the hotel is undergoing major construction (on Federal) and it's loud, so facing the back was perfect. Unfortunately the resto Bellotta was closed during this time, otherwise there were plenty of other restaurants within Skycity open. We found the location perfect and convenient for all our sightseeing needs. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear Maria_M_Vancouver,

Thank you for your feedback - it is always enjoyable to read about our guests experiences whilst staying at the hotel.

I was pleased to read that our team were able to assist you when you arrived early after a long flight - it's always worth the chance that your room might be available - but we always recommend booking the night prior, just to be 100% sure the room will be available for you when you arrive early.

Federal Street is undergoing a big makeover - this work will be completed fully in May 2014, with the work at the front of the hotel completed at the end of January. We are looking forward to the new street - much more pedestrian friendly, and it will give more space to our fabulous restaurants on Federal Street.

Should you visit Auckland again - we would love to welcome you back - please do not hesitate to contact me directly to look after your reservations.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We had a fleeting one night stay here in Dec 2013 and all I can say is, I wish it was longer! We stayed in a luxury suite and it was exactly that - complete with chocolate dessert plate on our arrival. Gorgeous bathroom facilities and the bed was super comfortable. Probably the best location in the city - walking distance to restaurants and the waterfront. We checked in during a very busy time so there was a bit of a wait but the staff were efficient and aware of it - apologised for the delay etc. I'd highly recommend this hotel.

Dear Laura H,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the SKYCITY Grand Hotel - we love receiving feedback from our guests about their time spent with us.

I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay - next time you will have to stay for longer and make use of all the facilities available. Our new lobby bar is now open, with a restaurant opening in the lobby late February 2014.

Improvements to Federal street are also underway, with this to be completed in May 2014.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future - please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can make your reservations for you.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Needed a hotel in Auckland for the last night of my trip so was not too far from the airport for a relatively early flight. Chose the Sky City Grand partly because I got a good deal with breakfast included and partly because of location.

Arriving via Inter City Bus from Rotorua it was steps around the corner from the bus terminal to check in. Although there was some construction going on outside the hotel it could not be heard in the rooms. Everything was clean and well maintained. Room only had a shower not a bath but since this was the third time I encountered this in NZ I accepted this. Particularly loved the chaise longue in the room although the TV was a little small with limited free channels.

Tried out the pool which I had to myself changing facilities all clean and plenty of towels, shampoo etc.

Breakfast was included in my rate and the choice was enormous. If you wanted it they likely had it and a few things besides!l

Staff all very friendly and helpful. Outside terrace on floor 7 has the most amazing view of the Sky Tower as well!

However, after a long holiday of activity the greatest bonus was the fun to be had on the doorstep. Access to the Sky Tower (with one of the best tourist shops I saw) the excellent Orbit revolving restaurant, the casino, what I think was a nightclub, lots of other eating and drinking choices, all without having to even go outside. With an early start the next day it was lovely to eat dinner knowing there was no long walk or taxi ride between you and your bed!

And in the morning a short walk (downhill) to the Airport bus stop.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear celi36,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay and experience at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us - it certainly sounds like you made use of a lot of the facilities available - we are very lucky to have such wonderful restaurants and bars on our doorstep, as well as the Skytower.

Federal Street is undergoing construction to be a more pedestian friendly street - much like Elliott Street and Fort Streets in Auckland City - this will be complete May 2014.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKCITY Grand Hotel one day in the future - pleaes get in touch with me directly to make your reservations.