“Nice Hotel but not much atmosphere.”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Perth, Australia
“Nice Hotel but not much atmosphere.”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Lovely hotel and location was perfect in terms of walking around Auckland, but it did not have much atmosphere. When you check in there are no seating options in the reservation desk area itself apart from some very uncomfortable bar stools. There is a small bar/lounge area but it is just that little too far from the desk. Same scenerio with seating when your waiting to collect your luggage at check out or waiting for transport at the front door/concierge desk. The bar /lounge is next to the reservation desk and lifts... very small and no TV's or music etc. Room service is outstanding and the food very nice however it comes at a hefty price.!!
Very good hotel for business travellers.

Room Tip: We stayed on two separate occasions on the same trip as a stop over on our way to the USA. As the ai...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wazza71
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear wazza71,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as room service - we love receiving great feedback, so I have passed your comments on to the team.

In regards to the hotel lobby, I do apologise if you felt like there was not much seating - our lobby has recently undergone some extensive work - with the edition of Masu by Nic Watt and the new lobby bar (with restaurant to follow in the next 4 - 6 weeks).

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon - please contact me directly so that I may arrange your reservations for you.

colette.leonard@skycity.co.nz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We spent a night in the city and chose this hotel as we had never stayed here before. The receptionist Mary was very friendly and we were able to check in early. The room was spacious ..king sized bed.. chaise longue view of the hotel next door but we were in the cheapest rooms so not a problem. They had free wifi but it wasn't working for about 4 hours. No complimentary cookie which we had experienced in other city hotels...my husband needs a mid afternoon snack we bought one for $4 ... we did appreciate the complimentary morning paper . The 11am checkout was good as we could go out for breakfast and not have to rush back. The location is very central and walkway over the road to the casino. This is the 7th city hotel we have stayed at and although we couldn't fault it I don't think it was worth the extra$50 a night compared to others.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear LyndyNZ,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and great to hear that Mary was able to offer you an early check in - I have passed your feedback on to her - we always love recieving feedback about our team.

Our in room minibars have an extensive offering of snacks at very reasonable prices. We are currently part way through hotel room refurbishments, and I am sure that you would love the new rooms - they are available to view on our website.

We do look forward to welcoming you soon - please get in touch with me direclty and I would be happy to organise your reservations for you.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I was here for a conference and the facilities were very good. The room was ok. Clean and modern but probably a little small. The nice thing about the hotel is how central it is to everything. We were able to walk down to viaduct area and to the local bars. In fact the bar in the hotel was very good. Great vibe therefore a great place to hangout.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear 1MoreTrip,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel - I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Our hotel rooms are currently undergoing refurbishment, and the new ones are available to be viewed online, as well as booked.

The hotel lobby bar is now open, and we are looking forward to the new restaurant opening in the lobby mid-February.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future - please get in touch with me directly, and I can arrange your reservations for you.

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed for 2 nights and 3 days last september 2013.the bed is big, the room and the bathroom are quite spacious. The problem i had was that the bed and pillows are hard. I wakeup with back pain and stiff neck.. It is near restaurants, casino and you can go around cbd by walking

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Taav1
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Taav1,

I was pleased to read that you like the room and bathroom. We do have pillow menus in all rooms, so should you stay with us again, be sure to order a pillow from this menu, to ensure you do not leave with a stiff neck.

We do look forward to welcoming you back - please get in touch with me directly so that I may assist in making your reservations.

London
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel is part of the Sky City Complex, it is quite a stiff 500m uphill walk from the main street, Queen Street, but the Inner city bus link stops at the door. Some of Auckland's best restaurants are on the same site.
There are only three lifts to service the rooms, conference suites and so on. They provide a slow service often with full cars too, meaning many stops on the way up or down.
Our Harbour view room on the 17th floor was a good sized room with pleasant furnishings, a very comfortable bed and a pillow menu to taste.
There was a floor to ceiling window with a view over the industrial edge of the CBD to the upper harbour and bridge. The curtains did not provide a perfect blackout. If you have arrived during the day on a long overnight flight with a big time change and want to get some daytime sleep the room is reasonably dark, too dark to read, but still light.
The Bathroom is well designed with a bath and a separate walk in shower. There are interesting, quality, local amenities but really only sufficient for one person unless carefully rationed. Good supply of thick fluffy towels.
The Wifi signal in the room was strong and the connection was fast and reliable. It was free on the package I was on but I am not sure if it is free for all bookings.
The Breakfast buffet was four star in quality. The scrambled eggs are cooked in small quantities and refreshed frequently so always look and taste fresh and the bacon was the best I can recall in any breakfast buffet. In a land of fresh fruit by the bucket load it was a pity about the orange juice, cheap and nasty, tasting of wax and cardboard with no hint of orange.
In summary a good modern hotel in an interesting area and with immediate access to some of Auckland's best restaurants, up to five star quality in most areas, but the lifts, drapes and breakfast four star.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank GBSLondon
Dear GBSLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

As mentioned in your review, we have plenty of restaurants and bars on site - we are lucky to have over 20 outlets - including restaurants run by famous chefs, namely Nic Watt, Sean Connolly, Al Brown and Peter Gordon. We are going to be adding to this, with another restaurant in the hotel lobby due to open mid-February.

I was pleased to read that you stayed in one of our newly refurbished rooms. We have planned the refurbishment at length, and have completed three floors of the hotel. I was disappointed that the curtains were not up to black our standard - it would be great if you could contact me on the email address below and let me know which room you stayed in, so that I can check on this, and address with the manufacturer.

We are proud to offer complimentary WiFi to all of our hotel guests - it is one of the most important things when travelling, and we are pleased that we can offer this at no charge to our guests.

I have forwarded your comments about the breakfast in The Terrace to the Restaurant Manager and the Chef, so that they are aware of your comments. It would be great to know the dates of your stay, so that we can ascertain what happened that day, as this is definately not our usual standard.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the near future.

Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We arrived after our cruise ship docked and the hotel allowed us to check-in at 10am, which was a blessing. We then headed directly outdoors in front of the hotel and got on the sight seeing hop on hop off double decker bus for the day. Very convenient location. After a long day we paid to go up to the sugar tower 60th floor bar and have a few drinks and apps and enjoy the view. The casino on site was ok, but blackjack tables too high $$ for me and slots seemed tight. No one was winning that I could see, and we certainly didn't. We ended up eating at their outdoor restaurant for dinner and it was fab.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KkFiff
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear KkFiff,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and experienced the Sugar Club by Peter Gordon in the Sky Tower. We are lucky to have so many fabulous restaurants at SKYCITY. The lobby bar in the Grand Hotel has recently opened, and we are looking forward to the new restaurant opening in the lobby as well - mid to late February.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon - please contact me directly so that I can make your reservations for you.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We enjoyed a stay here after our wedding and we were greeted with a nice card upon our arrival congratulating us (although I would have thought a bottle of bubbles might have been a nice touch). We enjoyed a very comfortable and large room with great views. Comfy bed and pillow selection, large and well supplied bathroom and a large tv. Good size mini bar as well and access to lots of great restaurants. Great located and valet parking was an added bonus!

The onyl let down was the breakfast the next day, it was relatively unders stocked and the food was a little on the stale side, perhaps a sign of how long it had been out for?

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear Kiwigurl2014,

Congratulations on your recent marriage. I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us - we are spoilt for choice with the fantastic restaurants on site - our hotel Lobby bar has just reopened and we are looking forward to the new restaurant in the hotel lobby opening in late February 2014.

I was disappointed to read about your breakfast experience and have passed your feedback on to our restaurant manager and head chef - this is definately not our usual standard, and we will use this feedback as a training tool for our food and beverage team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future - please get in touch with me directly so that I can arrange your reservations for you.