“Nice hotel in excellent location”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Hotel is clean and quite modern. The room is spacious and very comfortable. Our linens were changed every day and we got two towels per person. These little extra thing matter to me!!

Location is just perfect right in city centre. 5 minutes walk to the harbor but still a very quiet room.

Nice pool and gym facilities.

Only things we didn't like were the weird smell in the lobby area (some not so fresh deodorizer) and the slowness of the service what comes into the valet parking.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear MrsMasalin,

Thank you for your lovely review about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel!

We were delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you enjoyed our services.

Due to the current redevelopment of Federal Street into a shared space, we are experiencing delays with valet parking. Work outsite the hotel will be completed by 29th January 2014 with the street completed in May 2014.

I do apologise for the smell in the lobby and will have this investigated.

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon - please contact me directly so that I can organise your reservation for you.

There are newer reviews for SKYCITY Grand Hotel

Reviewed 13 January 2014

All was great, only issue is clock in room is too bright, and more coffee with breakfast when it is being brought around. Room service fantastic when I wanted hot chocolate, ringing back to say they only had Milo, this was very late so thank you.

• Stayed: December 2013
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Moonah007,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your wonderful stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

It was a pleasure to read your review - the iHomes in the hotel rooms do have a dimmer function for the brightness of the light and I have spoken with the restaurant manager regarding your coffee comments.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future, please get in touch with me directly so that I can organise your reservations.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Lovely hotel and location was perfect in terms of walking around Auckland, but it did not have much atmosphere. When you check in there are no seating options in the reservation desk area itself apart from some very uncomfortable bar stools. There is a small bar/lounge area but it is just that little too far from the desk. Same scenerio with seating when your waiting to collect your luggage at check out or waiting for transport at the front door/concierge desk. The bar /lounge is next to the reservation desk and lifts... very small and no TV's or music etc. Room service is outstanding and the food very nice however it comes at a hefty price.!!
Very good hotel for business travellers.

Room Tip: We stayed on two separate occasions on the same trip as a stop over on our way to the USA. As the ai...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank wazza71

Dear wazza71,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as room service - we love receiving great feedback, so I have passed your comments on to the team.

In regards to the hotel lobby, I do apologise if you felt like there was not much seating - our lobby has recently undergone some extensive work - with the edition of Masu by Nic Watt and the new lobby bar (with restaurant to follow in the next 4 - 6 weeks).

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon - please contact me directly so that I may arrange your reservations for you.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We spent a night in the city and chose this hotel as we had never stayed here before. The receptionist Mary was very friendly and we were able to check in early. The room was spacious ..king sized bed.. chaise longue view of the hotel next door but we were in the cheapest rooms so not a problem. They had free wifi but it wasn't working for about 4 hours. No complimentary cookie which we had experienced in other city hotels...my husband needs a mid afternoon snack we bought one for $4 ... we did appreciate the complimentary morning paper . The 11am checkout was good as we could go out for breakfast and not have to rush back. The location is very central and walkway over the road to the casino. This is the 7th city hotel we have stayed at and although we couldn't fault it I don't think it was worth the extra$50 a night compared to others.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear LyndyNZ,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and great to hear that Mary was able to offer you an early check in - I have passed your feedback on to her - we always love recieving feedback about our team.

Our in room minibars have an extensive offering of snacks at very reasonable prices. We are currently part way through hotel room refurbishments, and I am sure that you would love the new rooms - they are available to view on our website.

We do look forward to welcoming you soon - please get in touch with me direclty and I would be happy to organise your reservations for you.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I was here for a conference and the facilities were very good. The room was ok. Clean and modern but probably a little small. The nice thing about the hotel is how central it is to everything. We were able to walk down to viaduct area and to the local bars. In fact the bar in the hotel was very good. Great vibe therefore a great place to hangout.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear 1MoreTrip,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel - I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

Our hotel rooms are currently undergoing refurbishment, and the new ones are available to be viewed online, as well as booked.

The hotel lobby bar is now open, and we are looking forward to the new restaurant opening in the lobby mid-February.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future - please get in touch with me directly, and I can arrange your reservations for you.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed for 2 nights and 3 days last september 2013.the bed is big, the room and the bathroom are quite spacious. The problem i had was that the bed and pillows are hard. I wakeup with back pain and stiff neck.. It is near restaurants, casino and you can go around cbd by walking

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Taav1
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Taav1,

I was pleased to read that you like the room and bathroom. We do have pillow menus in all rooms, so should you stay with us again, be sure to order a pillow from this menu, to ensure you do not leave with a stiff neck.

We do look forward to welcoming you back - please get in touch with me directly so that I may assist in making your reservations.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

The hotel is part of the Sky City Complex, it is quite a stiff 500m uphill walk from the main street, Queen Street, but the Inner city bus link stops at the door. Some of Auckland's best restaurants are on the same site.
There are only three lifts to service the rooms, conference suites and so on. They provide a slow service often with full cars too, meaning many stops on the way up or down.
Our Harbour view room on the 17th floor was a good sized room with pleasant furnishings, a very comfortable bed and a pillow menu to taste.
There was a floor to ceiling window with a view over the industrial edge of the CBD to the upper harbour and bridge. The curtains did not provide a perfect blackout. If you have arrived during the day on a long overnight flight with a big time change and want to get some daytime sleep the room is reasonably dark, too dark to read, but still light.
The Bathroom is well designed with a bath and a separate walk in shower. There are interesting, quality, local amenities but really only sufficient for one person unless carefully rationed. Good supply of thick fluffy towels.
The Wifi signal in the room was strong and the connection was fast and reliable. It was free on the package I was on but I am not sure if it is free for all bookings.
The Breakfast buffet was four star in quality. The scrambled eggs are cooked in small quantities and refreshed frequently so always look and taste fresh and the bacon was the best I can recall in any breakfast buffet. In a land of fresh fruit by the bucket load it was a pity about the orange juice, cheap and nasty, tasting of wax and cardboard with no hint of orange.
In summary a good modern hotel in an interesting area and with immediate access to some of Auckland's best restaurants, up to five star quality in most areas, but the lifts, drapes and breakfast four star.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank GBSLondon

Dear GBSLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

As mentioned in your review, we have plenty of restaurants and bars on site - we are lucky to have over 20 outlets - including restaurants run by famous chefs, namely Nic Watt, Sean Connolly, Al Brown and Peter Gordon. We are going to be adding to this, with another restaurant in the hotel lobby due to open mid-February.

I was pleased to read that you stayed in one of our newly refurbished rooms. We have planned the refurbishment at length, and have completed three floors of the hotel. I was disappointed that the curtains were not up to black our standard - it would be great if you could contact me on the email address below and let me know which room you stayed in, so that I can check on this, and address with the manufacturer.

We are proud to offer complimentary WiFi to all of our hotel guests - it is one of the most important things when travelling, and we are pleased that we can offer this at no charge to our guests.

I have forwarded your comments about the breakfast in The Terrace to the Restaurant Manager and the Chef, so that they are aware of your comments. It would be great to know the dates of your stay, so that we can ascertain what happened that day, as this is definately not our usual standard.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the near future.