“Skycity not so Grand” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Buckinghamshire
“Skycity not so Grand”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

Ok so there is nothing particularly wrong with this hotel except that I feel it doesn't warrant it's 5 star rating.
We have stayed in many 5 star hotels throughout the world and feel that to deserve a 5 star billing hotels should have something special perhaps in the facilities they offer or the service.
Here the gym and pool area were reasonable, the buffet breakfast had plenty of choice and the quality was ok but nothing special. There was no evening room turndown service which I would expect and whilst the staff did their jobs there was no warmth. We ordered a quick bar snack for lunch which took forever to arrive.
This may be the best hotel in Auckland, but if you arrive anticipating a 5 star hotel comparable to those in Sydney, Singapore, Johannesburg etc you will be disappointed.

2 Thank Lucyleopard
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Lucyleopard,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you did not feel we are a true 5 star hotel and have taken your comments on board, and used these as a training tool with our team. We take pride in the levels of service we deliver, and I do apologise that on this occassion you felt like we did not deliver.

Should you wish to stay with us again - please get in touch with me directly, so that I may arrange your reservations for you.

colette.leonard@skycity.co.nz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Gisborne, Gisborne, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed at the Sky City Grand Hotel, for a weekend getaway. Our room was lovely (amazing view) clean, comfortable and modern. The pool/gym was excellent. The staff were friendly (especially the lovely valet man!) and we loved our in-room dining! A very memorable experience and would definitely stay again.

1 Thank Courtney P
Dear Courtney P,

Thank you for your post on Tripadvisor.

I was thrilled to read that you had an enjoyable stay - I loved your comment about our team and I have passed this on to them all - they love receiving feedback such as yours!

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon, so please do get in contact with me directly so I can arrange your reservations for you.

Swaffham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We arrived at the Skycity Grand very tired after a long journey to discover that we had been upgraded to a wonderful suite with great views across Auckland. Everything about this hotel is five star and particularly the staff, for whom nothing was too much trouble. Unfortunately on our second night I was taken ill and the staff were hugely helpful, even providing a couple of medics to assist my wife in dealing with me. The hotel is situated literally in the shadow of the Sky Tower and is conveniently located for the Downtown area and waterfront. We would heartily recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable and affordable city centre base in Auckland.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear Graham L,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay, and that you were upgraded! I have passed your feedback on to the team - they always love receiving feedback such as yours from our guests.

I do hope that you have now recovered and are feeling better.

We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back again soon - please do contact me direclty so I can organise your reservations for you.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed at the Sky City Grand Hotel for our wedding night and it was perfect. The room was very modern, clean & comfortable. Great location too! We had such a wonderful time staying at the Grand Hotel and would definitely book there again when staying in central Auckland.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Michael A,

Congratulations on your recent marriage! And thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us!

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon - I am sure we can organise something special for your wedding anniversary. Please contact me direclty, so that I can organise your reservations for you.

Napier, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I must say by far, your stay at The Grand Hotel and Sky City Casino will stay with you forever!
The staff are amazing and extremely friendly. It's like being treated like royalty.
Situated right in the heart of the city. The fun part is you simply park the car for your duration and don't get back in it till you leave.
The casino is a must see. Even for grabbing a cold beer and people watching from The Aces Bar.
I highly recommend booking at this establishment.

Its like Trump Tower!
Cheers

Room Tip: Try The Occidental Belgian bar off Lower Queen Street. Great mussels and beer. Also the Cowboys bar...
Dear Ethan G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I loved passing on your comments about the team to them at their daily briefing - it brought a smile to their faces and they were very pleased with themselves!

We have over 20 restaurants and bars on site, so our guests are spoilt for choice for places to have a drink or a bite to eat. We are adding a restaurant to the Grand Hotel Lobby in the next 4 weeks, and we are looking forward to having that available to our guests.

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon - please get in touch with me directly, so that I can arrange your reservations for you.

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We've stayed at the SkyCity previously but this was the first time at SkyCity Grand. Lovely hotel, decent size room. The gym was great with modern equipment and the pool was nice too.
Only downside was that the room was cleaned at and 5pm each day. There was also a lot of footpath and road works at the time but that can't be helped and you couldn't hear it in the rooms.

Dear Becstar107,

I was pleased to read your feedback regarding your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel. I will ensure that it is passed on to the team - they love receiving our guest feedback!

In regards to the road works - I do apologise if this caused you any inconvenience. We are working with the Auckland City Council to create a more pedestrianised street, and we are looking forward to having it finished in May 2014.

We do look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the near future - please get in touch with my directly, so that I can arrange your reservations for you.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Thank you so much to the team at Sky City Grand Hotel! Our stay was for 7 nights and throughout our time we enjoyed it very much. The rooms are clean and modern and the restaurants are very nice, Rebo was our favourite. The staff are very friendly and defiantly go out of their way to help you with your needs. The hotel itself is set in an easy location just moments from Downtown Auckland and Ferry terminals. Good job guys I will definitely be returning! :)

Daniela

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Danielac20,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience while staying with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay - we have a fantastic team here at The Grand and they will enjoy receiving your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon - please do contact me directly, so that I may make your reservations for you.