“My Preferred Auckland Hotel”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Finally, a hotel room with a good bathroom! The only thing that let me down and cost the fifth rating star was the absolutely crap breakfast offering at Fortuna Restaurant in the neighbouring Sky City Hotel...

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Kris E,

I was delighter to read your post about your stay with us, and pleased that we are your preferred Auckland Hotel!

We do have a breakfast offering here at the Grand Hotel - The Terrace Buffet on Level 7 and plenty alternative breakfast options with the complex - current favourites are the bacon doonas at Depot and the griddle cakes at Federal Delicatessen.

We have a new restaurant opening in the Grand Hotel lobby in a few weeks, which will be serving breakfast, lunch and dinner - we are looking forward to this addition to the lobby.

We look forward to welcoming you back - please contact me directly so that I may make your reservations for you.

There are newer reviews for SKYCITY Grand Hotel

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Despite arriving around 9:30 AM and finding our room not ready, and being grumpy, Chief Concierge David Tabor cheered us when he made certain luggage was stored and particularly our hand carried items secured. He made several recommendations for sightseeing and dinner reservations for us, all of which we enjoyed immensely. It was unfortunate the street was under construction, dusty and noisy but improvements are necessary.

1  Thank Stuart P

Dear Stuart P,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was pleased to read your comments about David Tabor - our Chief Concierge - he is a wonderful addition to our team here at the Grand Hotel.

I do apologise for the inconvenience of the road works in Federal Street - we are looking forward to having it completed in May 2014 - it will make the look and feel of the SKYCITY complex completed different, which we are excited about.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon - please do contact me direclty so I can organise your reservations for you.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

The rooms whilst not huge are comfy and well maintained. The entrance was a little bit tricky to find due to the access road being upgraded, it is located opposite the entrance to the casino in the small side street next to the Sky tower. The staff are great and the dining options attached to the hotel are excellent including the Federal Diner (consider making a booking as they can get very busy). A good hotel I would recommend and definitely would have no hesitation in staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Holidays196

Dear Holidays196,

Thank you for your post about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

It was a pleasure to read your review - Federal street is undergoing redevelopment at the moment, with construction to be completed in May 2014.

We are lucky to have over 20 restaurants and bars within the SKYCITY complex - with one more being added in the next few weeks in the Grand Hotel Lobby. I have also passed on your feedback to our team - they love receiving feedback such as yours.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon - please do contact me direclty so I can organise your reservations for you.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Ok so there is nothing particularly wrong with this hotel except that I feel it doesn't warrant it's 5 star rating.
We have stayed in many 5 star hotels throughout the world and feel that to deserve a 5 star billing hotels should have something special perhaps in the facilities they offer or the service.
Here the gym and pool area were reasonable, the buffet breakfast had plenty of choice and the quality was ok but nothing special. There was no evening room turndown service which I would expect and whilst the staff did their jobs there was no warmth. We ordered a quick bar snack for lunch which took forever to arrive.
This may be the best hotel in Auckland, but if you arrive anticipating a 5 star hotel comparable to those in Sydney, Singapore, Johannesburg etc you will be disappointed.

2  Thank Lucyleopard

Dear Lucyleopard,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you did not feel we are a true 5 star hotel and have taken your comments on board, and used these as a training tool with our team. We take pride in the levels of service we deliver, and I do apologise that on this occassion you felt like we did not deliver.

Should you wish to stay with us again - please get in touch with me directly, so that I may arrange your reservations for you.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed at the Sky City Grand Hotel, for a weekend getaway. Our room was lovely (amazing view) clean, comfortable and modern. The pool/gym was excellent. The staff were friendly (especially the lovely valet man!) and we loved our in-room dining! A very memorable experience and would definitely stay again.

1  Thank Courtney P

Dear Courtney P,

Thank you for your post on Tripadvisor.

I was thrilled to read that you had an enjoyable stay - I loved your comment about our team and I have passed this on to them all - they love receiving feedback such as yours!

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon, so please do get in contact with me directly so I can arrange your reservations for you.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We arrived at the Skycity Grand very tired after a long journey to discover that we had been upgraded to a wonderful suite with great views across Auckland. Everything about this hotel is five star and particularly the staff, for whom nothing was too much trouble. Unfortunately on our second night I was taken ill and the staff were hugely helpful, even providing a couple of medics to assist my wife in dealing with me. The hotel is situated literally in the shadow of the Sky Tower and is conveniently located for the Downtown area and waterfront. We would heartily recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable and affordable city centre base in Auckland.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Graham L,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay, and that you were upgraded! I have passed your feedback on to the team - they always love receiving feedback such as yours from our guests.

I do hope that you have now recovered and are feeling better.

We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back again soon - please do contact me direclty so I can organise your reservations for you.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed at the Sky City Grand Hotel for our wedding night and it was perfect. The room was very modern, clean & comfortable. Great location too! We had such a wonderful time staying at the Grand Hotel and would definitely book there again when staying in central Auckland.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Michael A,

Congratulations on your recent marriage! And thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us!

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon - I am sure we can organise something special for your wedding anniversary. Please contact me direclty, so that I can organise your reservations for you.