“sitting on the fence! lovely staff”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My partner and I decided to splash out for a few nights in Auckland as my partner is English and never stayed in the city. I know the city well, having lived there and have also stayed in quite a few hotels city centre with family, but never stayed in the sky city.

We decided on a 'luxury city view' room (or wording to that effect) and added on breakfast, costing just under NZ $300 per night. We arrived to find extensive renovations (concrete cutting, the whole lot) being undertaken on Federal St, which the hotel is located on, we were not told of this.. not a huge problem as you couldn't hear it from the rooms but would have been nice to know.

Lovely staff on reception, checked in to our 'city view' room only to find it looked directly onto another building and nothing else- not the view we were after. Needless to say, the staff were very accommodating and offered another room though it was only 2 doors down so you just looked into different windows of the building in front. Not overly impressed, we decided to pay more (nz$312) per night for water views. Again staff were lovely and saw no trouble in us moving to our 3rd room... However, we were not told about the renovations (drilling, hammering, ladder being pulled along the floor) going on the floor above us! Which stopped (no jokes) at 9pm and started at 7.30am the following morning.. feeling embarrased about complaining once again, but also mystified that no one told us of the renovations, we asked to move again - 4th move. Again, the staff were lovely and upgraded our room on 18th floor. The upgraded room was the same as the other in size but different decor, better shower, clean and tidy and bigger TV and great view of the harbour. You could still hear the renovations but they were at least below us and not right above your head.

Would I stay again? Knowing other places in Auckland I wouldn't though my partner said he would if there were no renovation. The renovations hasn't helped in my decision making, but I do feel that I've stayed in nicer places for less. It was disappointing, I would say to anyone considering this hotel make sure you ask about renovations! If you want a view, go for the harbour side and pay a little more.
The breakfast was pretty good, reminded me of being in a conference room though.
One thing then hotel has got going for it is their staff, full credit to them.

Room Tip: Harbour view, make sure no renovations are being undertaken
1  Thank Loz H
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Loz H,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us at the SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I do apologise that you were disappointed with your initial room booking, but pleased that our staff were able to assist with an upgraded room to a Harbour View room. I was disappointed to read about the noise your experienced while we carry out our room refurbishments, and have addressed this with our contractor, as the hours you have mentioned are not agreed working hours.

We have a new restaurant opening in the hotel lobby mid-February 2014 and this is where breakfast will be served - it is going to be a different look and feel from the current offering, and we are very excited about it's opening.

Thank you for your comments about the team - I have passed your feedback to them, and they were delighted to read it - they love receiving comments such as yours.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon - please do contact me direclty so I can organise your reservations for you.

There are newer reviews for SKYCITY Grand Hotel

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Had a great time here, arrived jet lagged from the UK, was welcomed by friendly staff and shown to one of the refurbished rooms on 18th floor. Quiet, peaceful with all the facilities that we needed. Concierge was helpful and the hotel is well placed for getting to most places. We ate in the Marina area which is buzzy and full of lots of good places. Would definitely go back. The front street area is all being redone but seemed to be nearly finished, will look great when done. Did not impact on our stay.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear AnthonyPit,

THank you for your post about SKYCITY Grand Hotel!

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay across all areas - we are loving our newly refurbished rooms in the hotel - and looking forward to completing the rest of the hotel this year.

I do apologise about Federal Street and the development - we are looking forward to the whole street being completed in May 2014 - there will be a new look and feel to the complex, which will be fantastic.

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon - please get in touch with me directly, so that I can arrange your reservations for you.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Finally, a hotel room with a good bathroom! The only thing that let me down and cost the fifth rating star was the absolutely crap breakfast offering at Fortuna Restaurant in the neighbouring Sky City Hotel...

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kris E,

I was delighter to read your post about your stay with us, and pleased that we are your preferred Auckland Hotel!

We do have a breakfast offering here at the Grand Hotel - The Terrace Buffet on Level 7 and plenty alternative breakfast options with the complex - current favourites are the bacon doonas at Depot and the griddle cakes at Federal Delicatessen.

We have a new restaurant opening in the Grand Hotel lobby in a few weeks, which will be serving breakfast, lunch and dinner - we are looking forward to this addition to the lobby.

We look forward to welcoming you back - please contact me directly so that I may make your reservations for you.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Despite arriving around 9:30 AM and finding our room not ready, and being grumpy, Chief Concierge David Tabor cheered us when he made certain luggage was stored and particularly our hand carried items secured. He made several recommendations for sightseeing and dinner reservations for us, all of which we enjoyed immensely. It was unfortunate the street was under construction, dusty and noisy but improvements are necessary.

1  Thank Stuart P

Dear Stuart P,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was pleased to read your comments about David Tabor - our Chief Concierge - he is a wonderful addition to our team here at the Grand Hotel.

I do apologise for the inconvenience of the road works in Federal Street - we are looking forward to having it completed in May 2014 - it will make the look and feel of the SKYCITY complex completed different, which we are excited about.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

The rooms whilst not huge are comfy and well maintained. The entrance was a little bit tricky to find due to the access road being upgraded, it is located opposite the entrance to the casino in the small side street next to the Sky tower. The staff are great and the dining options attached to the hotel are excellent including the Federal Diner (consider making a booking as they can get very busy). A good hotel I would recommend and definitely would have no hesitation in staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Holidays196

Dear Holidays196,

Thank you for your post about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

It was a pleasure to read your review - Federal street is undergoing redevelopment at the moment, with construction to be completed in May 2014.

We are lucky to have over 20 restaurants and bars within the SKYCITY complex - with one more being added in the next few weeks in the Grand Hotel Lobby. I have also passed on your feedback to our team - they love receiving feedback such as yours.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon - please do contact me direclty so I can organise your reservations for you.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Ok so there is nothing particularly wrong with this hotel except that I feel it doesn't warrant it's 5 star rating.
We have stayed in many 5 star hotels throughout the world and feel that to deserve a 5 star billing hotels should have something special perhaps in the facilities they offer or the service.
Here the gym and pool area were reasonable, the buffet breakfast had plenty of choice and the quality was ok but nothing special. There was no evening room turndown service which I would expect and whilst the staff did their jobs there was no warmth. We ordered a quick bar snack for lunch which took forever to arrive.
This may be the best hotel in Auckland, but if you arrive anticipating a 5 star hotel comparable to those in Sydney, Singapore, Johannesburg etc you will be disappointed.

2  Thank Lucyleopard

Dear Lucyleopard,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you did not feel we are a true 5 star hotel and have taken your comments on board, and used these as a training tool with our team. We take pride in the levels of service we deliver, and I do apologise that on this occassion you felt like we did not deliver.

Should you wish to stay with us again - please get in touch with me directly, so that I may arrange your reservations for you.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed at the Sky City Grand Hotel, for a weekend getaway. Our room was lovely (amazing view) clean, comfortable and modern. The pool/gym was excellent. The staff were friendly (especially the lovely valet man!) and we loved our in-room dining! A very memorable experience and would definitely stay again.

1  Thank Courtney P

Dear Courtney P,

Thank you for your post on Tripadvisor.

I was thrilled to read that you had an enjoyable stay - I loved your comment about our team and I have passed this on to them all - they love receiving feedback such as yours!

We do look forward to welcoming you back again soon, so please do get in contact with me directly so I can arrange your reservations for you.