“perfect stay”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We arrived Xmas eve morning, exhausted from 22 hours of flying. The Grand allowed us to check into our rooms 7 hours early and did not even charge us extra. We were so grateful to be able to just collapse onto beautiful beds. It was relaxing, lovely-- perfect. We had Christmas morning brunch there the next day and it was so most expansive, gorgeous brunch I think I had ever experienced. Thank you for a great stay. We hope to be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gena424
Alison B, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Gena424,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

The title of your review sums up your stay in two words... thank you for the great feedback!

I was pleased to read that you had a "perfect stay" with us, and that the team were able to provide a room for you when you arrived at the hotel early morning. We do recommend our guests that should they be arriving on early flights, to pre-book the hotel room for the night prior to ensure they are given immediated access to their rooms. Alternatively, they can leave it to chance - and see if anything is available when they arrive.

I have passed your feedback on about the restaurant and brunch - it is a fantastic breakfast offering, that we are very proud of.

Thank you again for your feedback - it was a pleausre to read.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Another fantastic stay at the 'Grand'. The concierge is amazing, genuinely the most friendly person in the world and full of old world charm. Reception staff very friendly and helpful, rooms lovely, and dining experiences second to none without having to walk any distance. Would thoroughly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AALattimer

Dear AALattimer,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at Skycity Grand Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found the staff to be fantastic - they love receiving feedback such as yours - it makes their job that much more rewarding.

We are spoilt for choice when it comes to dining at SKYCITY - so many fantastic options to choose from!

Thank you again for your feedback. We trust you will visit us again soon - please get in touch with me directly so that I can arrange your reservation for you.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

The hotel ( The Grand ) is adjacent to Sky City Tower which gives you access to all it's facilities close at hand.
The hotel while quite impresive, the reception area gives an impression of emptyness and has a rather cold and bleak feel. Only staying for one night I can;t comment on it's facilities or service, reception very efficient and friendly. Our room was excellent with two double beds and a plentyful supply of tea and coffee etc. The breakfast was excellent with a wide choice to suit all tastes with a very efficient staff.
The hotel is suffering at the moment ( Feb 2014 ) from some extesive building work going on in the road along side but dosn't generally interfere with the comfort of your stay.
The hotel is about 1 K from the waterfront while a walk down Queens St gives you a variety shops to check out. A taxi to the waterfront will cost between $6-$7. The waterfront is the place to head for as it offers plenty of restauraunts and ferry trips ect, it also looks good and has a very pleasant atmosphere.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kiddosky,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at The Grand Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us - it was a pleasure to read your feedback.

Federal Street is undergoing some major redevelopment at the moment - with works due to completed at the beginning of June 2014.

Thank you again for your positive feedback - we trust you will visit us again soon - please get in touch with me directly so that I can arrange your reservation for you.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed at the Sky City Grand for 2 nights (February 9-11, 2014). We stayed next door at the Sky City Hotel for one night before moving here. Between the 2 properties, the Grand is quieter and a little newer & nicer in spite of the construction outside the door. The lobby & front desk is not remarkable. Check in & check out were a breeze. Most of the cruise lines book their passengers in this hotel. The bell service is very efficient, friendly & professional especially Manuel. Location is a 5-minute walk from the busy Queen Street shopping (3 blocks), restaurants & banks. Save your energy as it is an uphill walk back to the hotel. The area around the hotel is not that nice but it's not too bad as Auckland is just like any other city. We felt safe walking around. There is no casino inside the Sky City Grand. The Sky Casino is inside the Sky City Hotel which is right next door. There's a restaurant next to the front desk. We got a double room (one king-size bed & one twin) with a big picture window. It was modern, nice decor, very clean & very comfortable beds & fresh linens. Housekeeping was attentive and efficient. Wifi was free, a big plus. The bathroom was big with a tub & shower and very clean. Water tend to seep outside the shower so we had to put towels on the floor to stop the leakage. Overall, we enjoyed our stay here. Take a look at the pictures I took to see for yourself.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Celestial G

Dear TellyGabriel,

Thank you for taking the time to right such an extensive review about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

Excellent customer service is of paramount importance to SKYCITY and I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It is only through such feedback that we are able to improve our service, our products and the attention to detail.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us - although disappointed to read about the experience with the shower - it would be great if you could let me know which room you were in, so that I can have our maintenance team look at it immediately.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback, it is much appreciated.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Hotel was ok but not more of a decent 4 star to us.
Long queues developed at check in and check out. The valet parking at 35 dollars was a financial winner as it proved cheaper than parking yourself at 5 dollars for the first hour then 2 dollars each subsequent hour. The downside is that you had to queue at the concierge while guests were getting travel and tour information to ask for your car back then there seemed only one member of staff designated to the job so ended up waiting ages for the car.
The rooms were ok without being exceptional.
The hotels real benefit is if you were there to use their casino or meeting rooms.

Be aware if you wander out, the Auckland main shopping street, which is also to route down to the waterfront, is littered and is unindated with beggars and druggies.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Uppermilden
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear uppermilden

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Grand Hotel.

Your feedback which has been shared with our management team and rest assured will be reviewed – my apologies for the wait that you encountered and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope to welcome you back to The Grand Hotel in the future, please do contact me directly prior to your arrival.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I booked this hotel about 8 months prior to my stay and contacted the management to let them know it was my 50th birthday. Several months prior to my stay, I added another room for some friends who decided to join us on the trip. It was evident that our rooms had been upgraded and upon checking in, I found a hand written birthday note and a bottle of wine in my room. Room was very nice and modern, views were amazing, amenities were plentiful but the free wifi with unlimited data really set this hotel apart from other places. We take that access for granted but after having been in Australia and NZ for three weeks, this is a wonderful amenity to have. The staff and management were very responsive and went above and beyond to be of assistance and to ensure our stay was nothing but perfect. Location was just a few blocks from the waterfront so walking places was very easy especially to the wharf to take ferries to the surrounding islands. If you are in Auckland - this is a must stay hotel due to the staff, the location and amenities!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mah0519

Dear mah0519

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Grand Hotel.

I am just delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We love to look after our guests especially when it is a special occasion and it is wonderful to hear that you had the perfect stay with us.

Once again, many happy returns and I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Grand Hotel.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We didn't get the initial room that we requested but apparently they stated we got upgraded. The staff are very friendly and the rooms are spacious and modern. The location is fantastic and a short walk to just about everything in Auckland. There is a lot of construction going on near the hotel but it didn't prohibit driving in and out. I would recommend doing the valet parking as it will save you money in the long run. Kevin, the doorman is very friendly and will make you smile upon your arrival.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room is possible.