“Comfortable NZ Hotel”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Great starting point for a visit to NZ, easy walking to all CBD attractions and lots of great restaurants within a few blocks. City bus stop less than one block away and concierge very helpful. If we ever get back to Auckland I'd certainly stay here. Very good breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: There is a disco/bar on the 6th floor, try to avoid proximity to it. Remodeling was underway in lob...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
ColetteLeonardAKL, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear jall55,

Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I have passed your comments on to the concierge team - they love receiving feedback such as yours. Our guests are spoilt for choice when staying with us - we have over 20 restaurants and bars within the complex - and they are all very popular.

Gusto, where you had breakfast is our newest restaurant - headed up by Sean Connolly, who is also behind The Grill, also in the hotel lobby.

Thank you again for your feedback, it is much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Auckland and Skycity sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is a well-kept large city centre hotel, well located in downtown Auckland. The rooms are reasonable in size, though not spacious, very clean and reasonably equipped, though a bit pricey. The best thing about this hotel is its staff. Like throughout New Zealand, the staff could not have been more helpful. We arrived without one piece of luggage which had been misdirected by our airline. The reception staff (in the middle of the night too!) immediately took charge of things, contacting the airport and airline for up to date information and arranging that the case be delivered to our room the next morning while we were out. Very impressive service indeed! I did not enjoy the rather loud "musak" in the breakfast area, but found The Depot next door, which serves excellent fare all day.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ColetteLeonardAKL, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Jasperco,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was delighted to read your feedback, and happy to hear that our staff exceeded expectations with their assistance with your missing luggage. We pride our selves on excellent customer service - I will be sure to pass your comments on to our team - they love receiving feedback such as yours.

I have also passed on your comments regarding the music in Gusto, our newest restaurant at the Grand Hotel.

Depot is great isn't it - the bacon doonas for breakfast are amazing!

Thank you again for your feedback, and we do look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We chose to stay at Skycity Grand Hotel when we went up to see Mama Mia. We booked the Baby Grand package. Check-in was easy, even though a large tour group had arrived and the helpful lady in reception gave up directions to the theatre. The room was clean and had a spectacular view. Breakfast at Gusto was delicious - a great variety. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear kandkbell,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

We love hearing from our guests, and I was delighted to read your feedback. Thank you for your comments about our team - I will be sure to pass them on; they love receiving feedback such as yours.

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that you were able to try out Gusto, our newest restaurant addition. We have over 20 restaurants and bars within the complex - lots of choices for our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback - we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We booked one of the (newly refurbished) premium luxury harbor view rooms. First of all, I LOVED the bathroom. It had a large shower with two great showerheads and strong water pressure, a big separate bathtub, and lots of counter space, all done up in some kind of gray tile or stone. Very clean, lots of big fluffy towels. Excellent. The room itself was also very comfortable, with rather minimalist furniture that doesn’t take up a lot of space, but it was almost just enough. The only thing that I missed was a couple of deep drawers for storage. I found a couple of very shallow drawers in the closet, but they really weren’t very usable, plus they looked a little dusty, so we mostly kept stuff in our suitcases. Drawers would definitely be handy here.

There was a small refrigerator that was stuffed full of mini-bar items; we had to remove a few before we could add anything. I was excited to find a big drawer above the fridge (yes!), but it was also full of mini-bar items (darn).

Extra outlets are conveniently placed under a black plastic cover on the desk. And, wi-fi here is free, thank you SkyCITY. Maybe other hotels will take note.

Our room had a decent view of the harbor, given that the hotel isn’t that close to the harbor. We had an even better view of Sky Tower, from which we could occasionally see people jumping off (not to worry, they’re attached to a line). The renovation on the third floor must have been finished before we arrived, since we saw no signs of it- there was a newish-looking bar area between the lobby and the elevators. Construction on Federal St. was continuing, but we didn’t notice it inside the hotel. Nearby restaurant options are AWESOME. We ate at the Fed once and at Depot twice.

On check-in, we asked for a late checkout of 3pm, which the front staff gave us at $30 per hour after 12pm. This was well worth it for us, given that we had a late flight out. The staff was consistently friendly and helpful.

All in all, I’d definitely stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear travelerfromsj,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

The newly refurbished rooms are fantastic aren't they - and we receive a lot of positive feedback about them - the tones and materials used are amazing, and we just love them!

The new restaurant and lobby bar in the hotel lobby on level 3 are our newest additions to the vast variety of eatieries and bars within the complex - it is fantastic to have three restaurants within the hotel lobby.

Depot and Federal Deli are two of my favourites, and I am pleased that you were able to try them out during your stay.

The driveway is almost complete, and the whole Federal Street redevelopment project is due to be completed at the end of May 2014 - we are looking forward to having a brand new street!

Thank you again for your feedback - I enjoyed reading it, and I will be sure to pass it on to the team as well. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Very good hotel with very co-prating staff. Special thanks to pinky for helping me in booking, It was my business trip and this hotel convert it to luxury. Great value for money. Too good room service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Gauravjain_1982,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us - I am pleased to read that although it was a business trip, you felt like you had a luxurious stay.

I was also pleased to read you enjoyed the room service, and I will be sure to pass this on to the team.

Thank you again for your feedback - we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed here in early February for 2 nights prior to departing on a cruise. The first thing we noticed when we arrived was the chaos at the front desk and bell stand as there were several ships sending clients there, and they were not equipped to handle the volume of guests. After waiting for more than 20 minutes to check in we finally were directed to our room on the 19th floor. When we got off the elevator we noticed that a black top table in the area was so dusty, that someone had written "clean me" in the dust. When we checked out two days later the only change in that table was the dust depth had increased! We waited 30 minutes more for our bags to arrive at our room.
The next time I'm in Auckland I'll stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ColetteLeonardAKL, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Dear Robert S,

I do apologise if you felt that we were not equipped to handle the volume of guests on your arrival date - we have measures in place to deal with our large volume of arrivals, especially on cruise ship arrival days - these are always our busiest days.

I have addressed your cleanliness concerns with our Executive Housekeeper, and she has asked me to pass on her apologies.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I do hope that you will come back and stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We arrived and the door person was very genuine and helped us with our bags and then we went over to the desk and the person over the counter was nice too.

They were all doing their job to the best of their ability its not like they went out of their way to go beyond their job.

They all were well dressed in their uniforms but I do think that we looked a bit shabby thinking that we were in the wrong place a bit too flash.

The next time we were there we stayed at the Sky Casino Hotel and felt more comfortable there as there were no pretending and the workers there had a more human side to them and genuine smiles.

I guess that is why I gave it an average score.

Room Tip: I have no helpful tips sorry
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laufoli

Dear Laufoli,

I was happy to read that you found our doorman and reception team friendly - although I was disappointed to read that you felt you were in the wrong place - that is definately the impression we want you to have.

I have passed your feedback on to our team, and used it as a training tool - we generally receive very good comments about our team - I do apologise that you did not experience this for yourselves when you were here.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I do hope we will see you at the Grand Hotel again soon.