“Great hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
melboutne
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Very pleasant staff, nice friendly doorman. My room was very large, with king bed I paid for views & all I got was another accommodation windows to look into. Room had mini fridge, tea coffee, robes, safe, toiletries, skycity casino across the road. Very central hotel. 10 minutes walk to ferries. 3-5 minute walk to airport airbus. $16 one way. This hotel had fast free wifi that was very good & never cut out. Buffet breakfast was amazing, so much to choose from.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
ColetteLeonardAKL, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear foreveritalian,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us - and will be sure to pass on your great feeback about our team to them.

Free Wifi is such a necessity these days, and we are happy to be able to offer this to all of our guests, at no additional charge.

I was also pleased to read that you had an enjoyable breakfast at Gusto, the newest addition to over 20 restaurants and bars, within the SKYCITY Complex. Gusto is headed up by Sean Connolly, who is also the name behind The Grill, in the Grand Hotel lobby.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we do look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please feel free to contact me direcly, so that I can arrange your reservations for you.

colette.leonard@skycity.co.nz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This was our 3rd stay and as always the team from the doorman to concierge,reception, and restaurant teams all very welcoming and attentive. Our harbour view room provided incredible views over the city to the harbour bridge both day and night. The new Gusto Restaurant is the best hotel breakfast in Auckland - quality simply superb. All the recent changes in the lobby, restaurants, and street level have given the hotel and real energy. We will be back!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mandl17
Dear mandl17,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay - and I have passed on your comments about our wonderful team, to them - they love receiving feedback such as yours. ..

Gusto is our newest restaurant, and has been open for two months in the Grand Hotel Lobby - the breakfast is amazing - so many choices!

Federal street works are continuing and will be complete in June 2014 - we look forward to the new streetscape, and the options that it allows our restaurants situated on Federal Street.

Thank you for returning to stay with us, and for your feeedbac. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon - please feel free to contact me directly, so that I can arrange your reservations for you.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Took the wife for a night of luxury, from the minute we got in greeted with a lovely bottle of bubbles to the lovely robe and spa bath the night was fantastic. Extremely well appointed, would go again in a heartbeat

• Stayed February 2014
Dear wannaeatoutmore,m

I was pleased to read that you and your wife had an enjoyable time with us.

We look forward to welcoming you both back again soon!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed 4 nights. The hotel location is perfect, a lots of restaurants and shoppings.Only min walk to Sky tower. Also very close to the harbour, where have nice restaurants and u can take a day trip boat to the islands.Staff are very friendly and service is good.
Room is very clean, comfortable bed, nice amenities.Internet should be faster, but at last is free.
Expected more from the food in the hotel, for me its just ok, nothing amazing.
Overall is a great hotel and best location in Auckland.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Rodrigo ,

I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us, and I will be sure to pass on your comments about our team, to them - they love receiving feedback such as yours.

I do apologise if there was an issue with the complimentary Wifi during your stay.

SKYCITY has over 20 restaurants and bars within the complex - I was disappointed to read that you did not find something that you enjoyed.

Thank you again for your feedback - we do hope to see you back at SKYCITY Grand Hotel again soon!

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 April 2014

arriving at 10am, i left my bags with concierge who were very friendly and prompt with storing my bags. came back to check in later in the evening and was greeted by Bernadette who was very cheerful and friendly, she also genuinely tried her hardest for me when i asked if an upgrade would be possible, and wished me well for my graduation, kudos!

Room is very spacious and clean. Soundproofing from the roadworks is not so good but not their fault! you can also hear if anyone is in the hallway and when other doors are opening and closing but no biggie. Also not so good that if my curtains aren't drawn anyone on the smoking deck or sky city hotel opposite can see straight into my room! (wouldn't wanna walk around naked lol!)

the first night was not so good. dialled in room dining for room service at 9.40, no answer. 9.45pm.no answer. again at 10pm, no answer. pressed "reception" on the in room phone to order room service and gave them my order.
at 10.45pm "in room dining" then calls and asks if I would like to order (odd?) when asking where's my order from 10pm the operator then changed her story and said "Well, if you didn't interrupt me and listened I was about to tell you there was a miscommunication and we are putting your order through now" (rude much).
I asked to be put through to the manager and was put on hold for more than 10mins (gotta love on-hold music when you're annoyed).
Decided to hang up and venture out for a bite. Went down to reception, Megan(?) was very helpful and apologised right away. you could tell she really felt bad for us and offered comp breakfast for the following day. Even double checked with us on the way back in if we had a good night.

the second night after a long day we decided to have a peek at the minibar, only to realise one tin of pringles was half eaten! aesthetically it wasn't visible but upon picking it up it was obvious by how light it was.

on the way out to dinner we informed reception so that we wouldn't be charged. Tony the duty manager was the absolute star of the show. he apologised again for what happened the night before and completely turned our perception of The Grand around. he WOW'ed us out of the park with his professionalism and sincerity.

whoever's in charge of pay, Tony, Megan and Bernadette deserve a pay rise or bonus!
the staff are the absolute backbone of this place and without them this stay would've been a complete disaster and I would never return. I can now say with confidence i know that if there is an issue that I can rely on the frontline staff to help me feel at ease again, well done you 3!

Room Tip: get and upgrade if you can! even if you have to pay the difference!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank a_little_asian
Dear a_little_asian,

I was pleased to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I do apologise for the issue you experienced whilst attempting to order in room dining during your stay - this is definately not the experience we want our guests to have, and I have addressed this with both our In Room Dining and contact centre teams.

Thank you for your lovely feedback about Tony, Maggie and Bernadette - they were thrilled to read your feedback!

Again, thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us, and we do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon!

TX
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here recently before our New Zealand cruise. The hotel is very well located, although construction around the entrance made it a little complicated to get to. The lobby was fairly busy, with bars and restaurants and lots of people, but with lots of lovely artwork as well. The rooms were spacious and very well designed. The bathroom was immense, but more attention should have been paid to functionality rather than design. For example, the bowl of the single sink was about 3 times as large as it needed it to be, leaving almost no space for things like toiletries. Also, the lighting in the bathroom was not great. And there was no shelf in the shower for soap or shampoo. But it was beautiful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zaphodfw
Dear zaphodfw,

Thank you for taking the time to write abouty our stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us before your cruise. Thank you for your comments about the room and the bathroom design - we will look in to this with our team.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Verwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights before flying home to the UK after our 6 week tour of New Zealand.

During our tour we stayed at over a dozen motels and while I was very happy with the quality and value of all the motels it was nice to be pampered for our last few days.

We stayed in a Premium Luxury Harbour View King room on the 17th floor, the views over the city and harbour were fantastic. We also had a good view of the tower and the jumpers!! The room was very well appointed with an enormous bed (and TV to match), a comfortable settee, coffee table and desk.

Our package included breakfast in the Gusto restaurant on the ground floor. The breakfast was a cold buffet with hot food available if required. The cold buffet was great with the choice of meats, fish, cheese, fruit, cereals, yogurt, pastries, juices and breads. Tea and coffee were available from the busy but very effecient waiting staff.

The service was very good, particularly the concierge who helped with our luggage and the return of our hire car when we arrived and also arranged our transport to the airport on leaving.

The hotel is located just a 10 to 15 walk from the harbour with its great selection of cafes and restaurants.

A really enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear 5tings,

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, in one of our newly refurbished premium luxury rooms. The new design and decor are fantastic, and we are receiving a lot of feedback about the rooms.

I was also pleased to read that you had an enjoyable breakfast at Gusto - this is our newest restaurant, and it joins over 20 other restaurants and bars within the SKYCITY complex.

Thank you also for your comments about the team - I will be sure to pass the feedback on to them - they love receiving feedback such as yours!

Thank you again for your feedback - we do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.