“Very Nice!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Very Nice!”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Very nice room. I booked a room for a special occasion and the room was really nice and big we had a nice view of the city. It also included breakfast and it was soooo good! The buffet has lots of fresh fruit and pastries you can also choose a hot item off a menu. Would recommend!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear CaseyJayne

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Hotel.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your special night away with us and I will be sure to pass your comments onto the team. Gusto is the latest restaurant to open at The Grand Hotel, isn’t the breakfast amazing? I personally have a weak spot for the pastries!

The team look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Alison.borland@skycity.co.nz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Recently here for a conference had a great stay lovely room with harbour views and very comfortable beds. Nice location in centre of Auckland. Would stay again if we pass through again, also convenient for on-site conference

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear mumandherboys

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Grand Hotel.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us while attending a conference and it’s great to hear that you will be back!

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 June 2014

When I arrived I was met by a friendly doorman and the concierge grabbed my bag and took me to the front desk for check in. There were only 2 check in people when I arrived and there was a queue but soon someone else arrived and check in didn't take long at all. The young girl who checked me in was polite and gave me the run down.
I was catching up with an old friend so we shared a room on the 11th floor. The room was spacious, clean and well stocked with refreshments, toiletries and robes. There was also a safe in the room. Being on the 11th floor we did look down onto the roof and kitchen vents and the back of the Casino but lift your eyes a little further and there were the Waitakere Ranges and a little piece of the Waitemata harbour. The sunset was lovely. We had a Queen or King size bed and a King single. The beds were comfortable and the room quiet - and the curtains kept out the early morning light.
We didn't dine here but had breakfast in the morning. Great buffet choice for $29, probably the best buffet choice I have seen in a NZ hotel for a long time. You could has a cooked breakfast for the same amount of money or have both for $39 - but seriously, unless you have a very large appetite the buffet breakfast was more than adequate. The wait staff were friendly and served us quickly with tea and coffees.
Check out was seamless, we needed to split our bill and that wasn't a problem for them. The concierge went and collected my car ($35 for valet parking!) and as I waited I watched the very attentive, happy an charming door man with his top hat on.
I can highly recommend this hotel and would definitely come back and stay here

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear fieldadvisor

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Grand.

What a pleasure to read your review – it sounds like you had a great time away and the team will be thrilled to read your comments.

You may know that we have commenced a full refurbishment of our rooms and in our new twin rooms there are 2 double beds – something to bear in mind for future stays.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future – don’t hesitate to contact me if you would like help with your booking.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Very clean. Great lap pool and gym. Very high, vertigo looking out of the windows. Very good service but too big to be comfortable. I thought $35 to park the car was a bit of a rip off and service is good but people wait for a tip which makes me uncomfortable as I hadn't taken cash as we were just there for one night and I never thought I'd need cash.

Room Tip: $35 to park the car was a bit excessive
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear RBridget

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Grand.

Thank you for your comments – we constantly review ours charges to ensure they are in line with our competitors and we also have the option of self parking with one exit for a $20 – please don’t hesitate to enquire about this option on your next stay and the team will be happy to help.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Tauranga
Reviewed 19 June 2014

If you are looking for a great location with fantastic rooms, staff and value for money and my view you can't do past the Grand as the place to stay. The newly remodelled rooms have a great feel to them!!! Love the fact that you can call into the Depot next door for healthy and quick breakfast.

1 Thank John W
Dear John W

Thank you for your review of The Grand.

It was great to read feedback from a return guest and I look forward to passing it onto the team – they love to hear that our guests have had a great time.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Macau, China
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The Grand is one of two hotels at the SkyCity entertainment complex. It is the more up-market option, in particular because it offers better views than the other hotel, which is located in the same building as the complex's casino.
Depending on traffic, the hotel is 30-40 minutes from Auckland International Airport. The reception area has been reduced in recent years, as Sean Connolly's The Grill restaurant has been located in part of what was the originally vast reception and lobby area.
Our room was located on the 17th floor; rooms are available up to and including the 21st floor. The room had an excellent view across Auckland Harbour. The king bed was very comfortable, and the room had all the amenities to be expected of a quality hotel. The only disappointment was the bathroom, which was small and rather dark.
Two real positives for the hotel. First, both The Grill and Gusto, also by Sean Connolly, are located within the premises, on the ground floor. We ate at both, and commend them highly. Gusto is ore informal, and ideal for breakfast and lunch. Secondly, it is connected by bridge to the casino, accessed from the 5th floor. The casino is nothing to write home about, but it does offer a unique form of entertainment in Auckland.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the views
Dear greenstOat24

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our newly refurbished rooms. We now have 5 floors that are complete with the next phase due to start in a couple of months – very exciting!

There have been a number of changes to our lobby area and I am delighted you had the opportunity to eat at both Gusto and The Grill and I will pass your compliments onto the teams.

The team look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The hotel itself is great but the service certainly needs some improving!

1) The cleaning staff are VERY loud in the hallways. The doors are thin and you can hear every last word. They made no attempt to be quiet what so ever. Party in the hallway, anyone?

2) I paid for valet parking during my stay. One morning when my car turned up, the guy who delivered it had changed the radio station to some hip-hop station. Unprofessional to say the least.

3) I had to ask 3 times to have my dry cleaning collected from my room. The first time I left the clothes in the bag provided with the filled in slip ON the bed for the cleaners and it was missed. The second time I rang reception and the third time I walked down to reception.

So as my title suggests, the hotel is almost there. The bed is fantastic, the food out of this world, the room very modern and clean... Just tweak the service!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Whitney T

Thank you taking the time to review your recent stay at The Grand Hotel.

Though pleased that you enjoyed our rooms, and numerous restaurants and bars, I was disappointed to read the remainder of your comments about your stay. I welcome you to contact me directly, with some further information, so that I can look into this further.

I look forward to hearing from you.