“Great Rooms and well priced if it is room only!”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I stay at the Grand at least couple of times a year and had a terrible stay the last time I was there and vowed never to come back and switched to the Hilton. Thought I will give it another go a few days back. Inauspicious start when I spoke to the worst salesperson ever trying to book two rooms. He almost didn't want me to make a booking!!

The hotel looks fabulous after the renovation. The rooms look fabulous as well.

The in room dining menu is one of the most expensive I have experienced across the globe. I ordered a Club Sandwich and chips which cost $25+ $5= $30 to be delivered to the room!! The Gusto restaurant downstairs serves a main course for the same price. Breakfast starts at $35+$5.

If you like a work out like I do they have a reasonable Gym. Plenty of cardio machines and a very limited free weights selection. They have two machines which are ancient. One of the machines has been broken and not fixed for at least a year.

Great spa and pool.

Great hotel if it is room only!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Gimajay
ColetteLeonardAKL, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Gimajay,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

Firstly, I do apologise for your encounter over the telephone - I have addressed this with the Contact Centre manager directly.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the new room refurbishment, and the hotel lobby change as well.

The gym equipment has been repaired, and we are looking at alternative options to the weight machines you commented on.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

A friend of ours gifted my Fiance and I a night at the hotel. Upon check in we were upgraded to a newly renovated king room with a great view out to the harbour. The room itself was great, definitely worth the money and almost without fault. The nespresso machine was an excellent touch. My fiance and I went out for lunch and when we returned there were two bottles of bubbly on ice with a cute card waiting for us in our room congratulating us on our engagement. That really made our stay extra special! I would like to thank the team at The Grand and both my fiance and I would be glad to recommend them to anyone!

Room Tip: a higher room facing the waterfront is worth the extra $$
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
ColetteLeonardAKL, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Ambiepants,

Congratulations on your engagement and thank you for your feedback about your stay with us.

It was fantastic to read that you had an enjoyable stay, and that we were able to assist you both with celebrating your engagement.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I normally stay at the sky city casino hotel and i always ask for king room with harbour view, i made my booking as usual however upon my arrival i was told i didnt have a reservation and upon checking i was advised i was booked into the grand, not what i expected but i decided to give it a try. So off to the grand i go. It is not a long walk as these 2 hotels are opposite each other as well as there is a sky bridge for access to the casino. Upon arrival at the correct hotel :-) we were greeted by a young receptionist and checked in. She was polite and efficient however i thought her presentation was average for a 5 star front of house receptionist, hair not done no makeup looked like she didnt take pride in her appearance. The room was good. A good view of the harbour bridge, great to see a seperate bath and shower and plenty of towels, a very spacious room and bathroom. I dont normally use the mini bar however it had been a long day and i couldnt be bothered going out and wanted a glass of wine and to my surprise there was a lovely bottle of wither hills sav and at an affordable price. The mini bar was priced where you could use it without breaking the bank. Too many hotels and especially 5 stars bump the mini bar prices up. In my opinion if they kept the prices with in reason like this hotel it would be used more. My only complaint was that it was not restocked over our 3 day visit. Room service was very fast the meal was huge and it was hot. Check out was fast considering the queue of people all leaving at the same time and i enjoyed my stay. I travel to auckland every few months and from now on I think i will change my bookings from sky city to the grand

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Shane N,

Thank you for your wonderful comments in your review of SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

It was a pleasure to read your review, and I was pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

I have noted your comments regarding the reception team member, and will address this with her directly. I have also made sure your comments have made it to the minibar team.

Thanks again, and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

It was a toss up between here & The Hilton & the reviews for the Grand were better. But frankly these are just hotel rooms. Nothing wrong but nothing spectacular.

We got a king harbour room upgrade, room 1707. Little coffee machine is a nice touch.

Hate to be glass half empty but I had hoped for a little more given the reviews.

We stayed here & enjoyed dinner at a The sugar club.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear weeta1045,

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your stay with us.

I do apologise if you felt disappointed and I welcome you to contact me directly to discuss your stay with us.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I had booked us in for the evening for my partner's birthday. From the moment we booked in, when she was wished all the best for her day and we were upgraded to a 20th floor harbour view room, till we checked out the following morning the experience was outstanding. After we checked in we wandered around town for a wee while, and upon coming back to the room discovered a personalised birthday card, chocolates, and complimentary champagne. The room was tidy, well positioned, with an amazing view, a very comfortable King-sized bed, large bathroom with separate shower and bath, exceptionally well stocked mini-bar, and spacious. The whole experience could not have been better. Thank you SKYCITY Grand!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room - great outlooks
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
ColetteLeonardAKL, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear T1NM4N ,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

It was a pleasure to read your comments, and I am pleased that your girlfriend had a wonderful birthday celebration with us. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team as well - they love receiving feedback such as yours!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Spent three nights here. Great location. Nice sized room, great concierge, great front desk staff, great housekeeping. The housekeeping was probably the best I have ever seen in any NZ hotel. The room was spotless and well stocked. Everything worked as it should. The only negative feedback would be the effort of the front desk staff to up-sell to a harbor view room and offering better prices each time we declined the upgrade. Not very professional and kind of "cheap". If you have empty rooms all you need to do is offer a complimentary upgrade. Try it. It can't hurt and doesn't cost the business anything. The affiliated SKY Casino was a "bust". It had the feel of an arcade with 85 - 90% of all activity centered around slots. There were numerous Chinese gambling games. Not very impressive.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear hotelreview77,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at SKYCITY Grand Hotel.

I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay with us, and will be sure to pass the comments on surrounding the team with them - they love receiving feedback such as yours!

Regarding the upgrade, we do encourage our team to offer an upgrade at an additional fee, however I will address your comments with the team members on Reception.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Skycity Grand is part of a two hotel complex and casino that includes the Skytower. The casino is located in the other hotel across the street from the Grand. I like this hotel better as it is more quiet and dignified. It is located in the middle of the city with many options for shopping and dining around it. The wharf and ferry are not far from the hotel. The whole complex has a variety of restaurants including some of the top dininng places in Auckland. It is difficult to beat the location of this hotel even if you do not gamble.

We stayed at the newly renovated part of the hotel which was comfortable and quiet. The room was well appointed with comfortable beds and pillows. My only comment is that the room is dark even with the lights on. It is partly from the dark hues used in the room. I saw a room that has not been renovated and I thought it was brighter and more cheerful looking. The staff in the front desk were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Orpheus Texas

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Grand Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in one of our newly refurbished rooms. I must agree with you that we are ideally located in Auckland with so much to do and so many restaurants at SKYCITY and nearby to choose from.

We hope to welcome you back to The Grand Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards