“Dreadful customer service”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Stayed here on the first night of our honeymoon to NZ on 7th Feb.

Arrived at 15.10 after 36 hours on a plane from the UK to be told the only room ready was a smoking room. I explained we did not want a smoking room so was told to come back in one hour. I said I would not come back and I wanted my room as it was well after their check in time and my room should be ready. I was told that we could go to the gym for a shower in the meantime!!!! I said absolutely not and after 10 minutes of tooing and froing a room became available. The room was small and did not have a good view and the bathroom was shower only but we were so knackered by this point I didn't argue anymore.

I spent £149 for a night in this hotel which was WAY too expensive only stay there if you can get a bargain. The only good thing was the breakfast which was lovely.

We stayed here on our last trip to NZ in 2005 and were very impressed with the service and room which is why we went back. Who knows what has happened in the meantime but the service was awful. When we checked out they tried to charge me for valet parking - we didn't even have a car!!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank c~~k~~Uk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,584)

Reviewed 17 February 2009

I stayed at the Sky City Grande from the 13th to 15th Feb for my Wedding. I decided to book there because of the location and I wanted somewhere extra special for the occasion. I booked an Executive suite for the extra room and had arranged an extra roll away bed for my Mum who was staying with me the night before the wedding which was then to be taken away the next day for when it was myself and my Husband staying. On arrival this had not been done and I had to ask for it a couple of times. Also my Executive room for some reason did not have the extra guest toilet as stated in the room description which was one of the selling points for me when I booked it because it meant it would be easier for me and my bridesmaids to get ready with the extra facilities.
On check in there were plenty of staff around to help but when I arrived back at the hotel after the wedding late at night there was only one staff member on reception and lots of waiting guests

The room itself was very comfortable with all the amenities needed should you want to stay a night or even a week. The bathroom was large with a separate shower and toilet. The shower nice and powerful but did have some mould issues which I wouldn't expect of a five star property.

Overall it was a pleasant experience but there are a few issues which need looking at if it wants to compete as one of Auckland's Premier Hotel

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2009

We just came back from a two-week vacation in New Zealand and stayed at the Sky City Grand for the first 2 nights.

The hotel is located right across the street from the Sky Tower and the Sky City Casino. The hotel is fairly new, rooms are spacious with all the amenities that you find at a nice business hotel, such as in-room safe, bath robes, etc. The bath room is also quite nice and spacious.

We stayed there on the Grand Park, Play and Stay package, which gives you the 2-for-1 coupon for the Sky Tower visit, which was nice. Note that if you go to the Sky Tower restaurants for meal, the Tower entrance will be free, but apparently, the restaurants are not well regarded for the quality.

It has an indoor swimming pool (which can only allow 2 people as it is quite narrow), a gym, a spa pool (really a jacuzzi) and a sauna room.

I would rate this hotel a 4-star hotel, probably not a 5-star, what it lacks is probably in the area of servives. It's not bad, but just not exceptional.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 February 2009

I stayed in this hotel for two nights in december 08. The rooms are spacious with very nice bathroom. The hotel has only one very expensive restaurant in which there is a limited menu. I did however, find the room service menu to be good and not overpriced. Like many large hotels, this one is characterless and its only strong point is its location.

My main issue with the hotel was the customer service. I found the staff at check-in to be cold and unwelcoming. When my room key did not work due to a malfunction in the locking system, I was left standing in the unairconditioned hallway for nearly an hour - It was an exceptionally hot day, and the manager who attempted to fix the lock did not once apologise for the inconvenience or offer us water whilst we melted in the heat.

overall, very disappointing

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2009

A good central hotel, very well located, with very well equipped rooms. Our room had stunning views over the city and harbour from the 21st floor. Curiously, despite asking for a quiet room we discovered our 21st floor room was next to a function room in which a loud party was taking place. To his credit, the duty manager let us have the key to a room on another floor in case it got too noisy - we didn't need it in the end, but it was reassuring to have an alternative. That aside, a great central city choice.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2009

I had a comfortable stay here, the room was new, modern and very clean however the views were average. The best thing about this hotel is the location and lobby. It is situated right in the heart of central Auckland and next to SkyCity Tower for those wanting to bungy jump or gamble. The reception area has been decorated with bright and vibrant paintings with modern and comfortable furnishings to match with a bar that creates tasty cocktails. The hotel's website rates itself as 5 stars, I think 5 stars is too generous and would only give it 4. Certain things like having a porter to take luggage to room and little extras in the room would gain an extra star from myself. Overall is was a good experience, just one star short of a total WOW experience.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 9 January 2009

A recent month long trip to New Zealand ended with a two night stay at the SkyCity Grand Hotel, Auckland (part of the massive SkyCity complex). The room (billed as Delux) was a major disappointment, the carpet looked as though the local Rugby team had used it as a 'Boot Room',we opened the fridge to find a mouldy piece of Stilton, the batteries in the safe had all expired and as for the Shower Door, I believe a 'design fault' was the term used by the Conceriege. What was more annoying is that even after the cheese was removed, housekeeping did not even bother to refresh the Fridge.
Overall the hotel was good, but if you are going to sell yourself as a Delux Hotel, then you need to take care of the little things and here the Grand falls down. To use a phrase from one of my old school reports, 'Could Do Better'

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple