“Top quality city centre hotel”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Everything you would want from a city centre five star hotel - clean, grand, and modern. Rooms are spotless, staff are welcoming and helpful, hard to find fault. Hosts "dine" by Peter Gordon, an award winning restaurant, and is around a 15 minute walk away to "The French Cafe" - arguably the best in Auckland and well worth a visit for fine food.

I would suggest the hotel is more aligned to convention attendees and those on business, the size of the hotel does leave it lacking the vibe of a boutique property, but that's as expected and not the fault of the hotel. Easy walking distance from the harbor, domain, museum and many other attractions. Heading out to more interesting parts of the city for the evening like Ponsonby does need a cab.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 July 2010

Stayed on night on the hotel's "extravagance" package. All was good, from the valet parking, right through to the checkout at the end. Maybe not quite a 5 star hotel really, but certainly 4 stars plus.

Reviewed 22 June 2010

My three nights stay at the Skycity Grand was truly great.I checked in with family late , almost midnight , the moment we arrived the receptionist warmly welcomed us. the staff was really pleasing and the guys at the concierge desk helped with several maps of the city to help us explore the city better.
Breakfast served at the hotel was also nice and the chef made us good vegetarian food at special request.
Located next to the SkyCity Casino , and very near to major tourist attractions ,Skycity Grand is a good value for money .

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2010

Recently stayed for a night with my wife and loved everything about it! We booked kind of last minute on the "glamour package" and that was exactly what we got. When we arrived we were greeted by great service that began and finished at the driveway. Our car and luggage was taken care of and we were left to check in. A very helpful gentleman at the desk asked if we would like to pay for an upgrade to the top floors and a harbourview room and we thought we would splash out so we did. WOW! Amazing room with stunning views (when we checked in the sun was setting in the direction the room faces, very romantic). Our package also included 2 free drinks in the lobby bar area and they were fabulous. The bartender also recommended we try Belotta. A spanish type bar/restaurant across the street. Great atmosphere and the food there was superb. Only thing I can find to complain about was the ease in which the casino took the change from my pockets... but to be honest, that was fun as well.

Loved every minute of our stay and will be back for sure!

Reviewed 9 June 2010

We decided to stay in the city to celebrate my birthday and got a great deal at the Grand from Wotif. The package was superb value - room, valet parking, 2 cocktails, bottle of bubbly, chocolate tasting plate and breakfast for 2. The chocolate tasting plate was phenomenal and the breakfast one of the best hotel breakfasts we've had in a long time. The room was very nice but small, especially the bathroom. The staff were very welcoming. The main problem here was noisy neighbours rolling home late at night eg 2-4am, presumably from the attached casino. It was such a good deal though that I am sure we will return

Reviewed 27 May 2010

I found this hotel to be rather disappointing and does not deserve consideration as a five-star hotel.. Bottom line is the SkiCity Grand Hotel is better suited for convention attendees or business people who are comfortable staying in Marriott or Sheraton business style hotel.

To me the components of a great hotel are quality of service, the facilities, and attitude of its staff. In my experience this hotel failed on both service and staff attitude. With hardly an exception much of the hotel’s staff came across as unwelcoming and lacked genuine hospitality.

This is the first hotel I have ever stayed at where a housekeeper and the mini-bar attendant could use their electronic keycard to override a deadbolt when the guest has locked the door. In all my experience such an override is limited to a hotel’s security staff or management in the case of an emergency. Neither a housekeeper or a minibar attendant should have be granted such access and this seriously brings into question a guest’s privacy when staying at this hotel. Fortunately I was not caught is some kind of undress or compromising situation.

In this hotel if you desire a daily newspaper, the hotel has a special card you hang on your outer door knob. While this works well in controlling the needless distribution of unwanted morning papers, the morning delivery person will knock on your door in the early morning hours to announce the arrival of your paper. The knocking is startling and annoying all at the same time. Perhaps the knocking is a clever way to discourage people from requesting any additional newspaper delivery? I much prefer my wake-up coming from a phone call at the time I select and not at the convenience of a bellman delivering the paper.

On the third day of my stay, as the minibar attendant was already entering my room before I could answer the knock at the door, I questioned her as to why a bottle of wine had been placed on top of the minibar. She explained that it was a replacement for the partially consumed bottle in the refrigerator. It never dawned on me to conduct an inventory of my mini-bar and I assured the attendant I had not opened the bottle. She explained that she had already charged me for it and would check to see if the charge could be removed. I do not understand why this was not caught when the last guest had checked out of my room several days earlier and, unfortunately, resulted in a rather uncomfortable interaction with the mini-bar attendant.

Equally troubling was the fact a light bulb in my bathroom had burned out and though I had brought it to my housekeeper’s attention, it remained unaddressed. The next day this still had not been repaired.

Upon going out of the hotel in the morning, I approached the front desk to inquire about a late check-out since I had a late afternoon departure the next day. I told the young lady I had read a 50% day rate would apply up until 5:00 pm and I was interested in this service. I was immediately corrected, rather sternly, I was in error and that there would be a $35 per charge per hour for a late departure. The fact I had spent five nights at this hotel was of no concern to this autocratic desk agent; but, she suggested she might be able to arrange an additional one hour use of the room.

Following my request for a late check-out, I requested to speak with the hotel manager to bring to his or her attention the lapse in privacy, my minibar charge, the maintenance failure to fix the light, and a threadbare bathrobe with holes. I was directed to a young man also at the front desk. When I shared my concerns to this “manager”, he became flustered and ill trained in dealing with such simple complaints. At no time did he make an effort to make notation of the issues I had expressed.

Upon returning to my room nearly six hours later, I discovered the bathroom light had not been repaired which further annoyed me about the lack of attention to service in this hotel. When I phoned down to speak with another manager, he stated there was no record of such a complaint and asked if a maintenance person could be dispatched to my room. I accepted his offer and the light was repaired within fifteen minutes.

To be completely fair, I did experience a positive level of service on my morning of arrival when the front desk called me a couple of hours of my arrival to ensure the power adapter for my computer was in my room as I had requested via email several days prior to my arrival. The desk agent mentioned I would find it in the minibar drawer, which it was. The only negative to this bit of service was being awoke from a deep sleep after having just arrived about two hours earlier around 6:30 am.

Another plus in this hotel are its guest rooms. They are large and the bed is extremely comfortable. The housekeeping and condition of the furnishings were excellent. The rooms feature very relaxing earth tone colors and have a hot water cooker for tea and instant coffee. There is a small wooden box containing a nice arrangement of teas; but, a word of caution to coffee lovers - the instant coffee is not very good. Not to worry, there are a number of coffee stores within a easy walking distance of the hotel as is a small convenience store in the event you want to save 50% of more for the high minibar costs for soda, water or snacks.

The bathroom is nicely equipped with a glass enclosed shower and a large soaking tub. The bath towels are generously sized and thick.

For older travelers such as myself, I would suggest having a bellman escort you to your room so that you can be trained in the operation of your room lights as well as the heating and cooling systems. The windows in the rooms do not open to allow in fresh air, so proper operation of the heating and cooling system can be important for your comfort. I found myself technically challenged with learning how your key card has to be inserted into a master control unit next to your door enabling the guest to take control of their room.

Without you room key card inserted into this unit, you cannot control lighting of your air handling system. Equally as unusual for American travelers is the fact the electric outlets all have on/off control switches, too. The only lights that will work independently of the master light switch are the two nightstand lamps. It is unfortunate the desk lamp cannot operate independently like the bedside lamps.

Equally as challenging for us Yankees, is the absence of a Fahrenheit setting on the thermostat. Because the room temperature is automatically reset to a maintenance level when your key card is removed from the control unit, it becomes somewhat challenging to calibrate the comfort level of your room. Fortunately I traveled with my net-book and used it to convert my preferred temperature level to Celsius. “Set it and forget it” does not apply to the comfort level in these hotel rooms.

My comments may seem petty to some; but, such petty service issues do not make a five star hotel in my honest opinion. It is my sincerest hope these remarks will find their way to Skycity Grand Hotel management and they can use them to better their hotel and strive for a true five star classification, as well as a flawless guest experience. As my experience has shown me, just because the hotel calls itself grand only serves to differentiate itself from its sister hotel across the street.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank TraveljohnsonJ
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Booked in to stay 1st night with Wotif and 2nd with a voucher that I had purchased through the hotel. My brother and his wife checked in before us and had put on their wotif form that they were travelling with us and could we be on the same floors...upon arrival before us he checked again and was told that that was fine and we were all on the same level. Upon OUR CHECK-IN I was told that it was impossible to be on the same floor although we could change levels the next day, which we opted not to. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEMS START..... we discovered that you could not use your key cards to get to the other families level and vice-versa. I went to reception and the lovely guy issued 4 new keys (2 for each family) that would work but they also would open each others room doors???? We had no problem respecting one anothers privacy but felt that it was not really an acceptable solutin to be able to walk into each others rooms.

The next day I was in south Auckland and got a call from my daughter saying that reception wanted to know 'when were we checking out?'. She explained to them that we were staying 2 nights and for the 2nd one I had given a voucher to the lady when I booked in. They had no record of the voucher and wanted me to show "PROOF" of the voucher when I got back. As I was in the middle of negotiating a car purchase when she rang my blood pressure was through the roof, and I was ready to give them what for!!! She then had to get another lot of keycards for our room as they had cancelled ours thinking that we should of been out of there. Luckily I had a covering letter in the room to verify the voucher purchase but as I said to them that was not the point, I had handed it over to the lady the day before and where on earth had it gone?
BACK TO THE ON GOING KEY SAGA.......we had to have a third set of keycards activated as we were back to the problem of not being able to get onto my brothers floor again. Not only did this inconvenience ourselves it also impacted on them, as we had to keep getting the keycards off them and swopping them!!!!

BREAKFAST THE FIRST MORNING COULD OF BEEN ALOT BETTER.... the terrace was fairly busy but we have seen it just as busy before and not had the problems encountered on this visit that the food kept running out. You might get your bacon, but no eggs and vice-versa, considering it was 9am I would not expect this on a Saturday morning and after 'raving on about the breakfasts' to my family and encouraging them to stay here, it was rather deflating. The 2nd morning we ate at 7.30 and everything was fine.

Yes the rooms are getting shabby, the carpets look like they need replacing and the bathrobes had lost their 'whiteness' and were a lovely shade of yellowing/pilled old robes that you might have at home.

This whole experience was not 5 star and as I told reception it was like a comedy of errors on their behalf that made our weekend 'memorable' in not the right kind of way. As I say we have stayed here before and found it ok, but not sure if we will be back or indeed the regulars that we have been.

Concierge / valet were fantastic.....helpful, friendly, effiecient!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family