“Nice hotel.”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 November 2010

The Hotel itself was amazing. Our room was clean and tidy with beautiful views. We booked a $209.00 package that included breakfast for two, which was delicious.
Unfortunately upon arrival at the hotel (which was just over an hour later than we had first intended) we had to wait for our room to be cleaned at 4.15pm in the afternoon when we had advised we would be arriving at 3.00pm. I also booked the room online with a debit card (eftpos) which caused so much hassle when it came to paying the bond on the room when we arrived. The man on reception gave the card back to me after a while and proceeded to click through the computer. I stood at reception for 10minutes while he clicked away. My partner then came up to reception and asked if there was a problem and the receptionist said "No I'm just waiting for the deposit," when he had just given my card back to me. Very stressful situation for 4.15pm in the afternoon. When checking out of the hotel, the woman receptionist then gave me my $500.00 bond back in $20.00 notes. That's 25 notes I had to try fit into my wallet. I was glad to get out of there. The staff were very helpful and efficient when we left a bag behind in our room. We phoned the hotel and they retrieved the bag straight away for us to pick up. The Hotel overall was superb, the best location. I would recommend to others for the quality of the hotel not the service of the staff.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
hotelteamAuckland, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2010

Dear 'natalatattack'

Thank you for your feedback on SKYCITY Grand Hotel and I am glad that you enjoyed 'The Terrace' Breakfast Buffet at the hotel.

In regards to your debit card (eftpos being used for check-in), requirement for proof of identity and credit card or cash guarantee/bond is standard practice within the industry and has always been a requirement at SKYCITY Hotel and Grand Hotel.

This would have communicated to you at the time of your reservation confirmation and is as per our standard process and a requirement for everyone staying in our hotels. I apologise if this was not communicated to you at the time of making the reservation.

The Visa Debit Card can only used for online, phone or mail-order purchases, as it utilises your bank account funds as opposed to using credit (please refer back to you bank for further information). Unfortunately it is unable to be used as a credit card and therefore your reservation required a cash guarantee/bond, which we used your Visa Debit Plus Card via EFTPOS for and reimbursed back to you upon checkout.

I have passed on your positive feedback regarding the staff being "helpful and efficient" in retrieving your luggage.

Kind regards
Caureen McAtee
Hotel Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,650)

Reviewed 21 November 2010

SKYCITY GRAND .. is the best hotel in auckland .. its casino was the best , the sky jump was one the best adventurous activity .. it got a very huge car parking and the best of the holiday goers stay there .. enjoy the breathe taking views from your room and try to stay on the highest floors .. at the end experience the best holiday ever

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank santoshkumar83
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Modern, classy, elegant. I liked this hotel. It is pretty big and right across the street from the skytower so our view was awesome and it was convenient. I ended up doing the valet parking which I personally hate but it was efficient and ended up being the best choice because we tried the self park option and it was confusing so we gave up. The room was large, well appointed and had a nice bathroom. Walking distance to shops and restaurants and the casino is right across the street. My only complaints were that they had no laundry facilities and I needed one desperately so we walked to one up the street a ways. My other complaint would be the robes. They provide robes but both of ours had huge holes in them. My point is that if you want to come off as a classy hotel either provide decent robes or just don’t. If you want to appear upscale you cannot dole out ratty robes. I can see an error letting one slide but BOTH? Come on. Robes with giant holes just cheapen the experience and make you feel like you are in a super 8. The staff however, was very kind and helpful for everything we needed…they even let us weigh our luggages on their big scale!

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HollyA
hotelteamAuckland, Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2010

Dear Holly

Thank you for taking the time to write feedback about your stay at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, Auckland, New Zealand.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the valet service that the hotel provides here, and I have passed this feedback onto the concierge team, which they appreciate.

I have followed up your comments in relation to the bathrobes, as I was most disappointed and shocked to hear that one bthrobe, let alone both the bathrobes in your room had holes.

Our team has completed an audit in all the rooms at the hotel from your feedback, and can confirm that all the rooms at the SKYCITY Grand Hotel have lovely fluffy bathrobes in them which are of a 5 star quality. (Any item which is not up to standard at the hotel, but still useable, we donate to a local charity).

I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention, and trust you had a wonderful in New Zealand.

Warm regards
Caureen McAtee
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 9 November 2010

The first thing you see when you arrive at this hotel is the Auckland Skycity Tower & then the atrium of the hotel. It is huge with a water wall, escalators Maori carvings & a good size desk well manned so check in is quick & easy. The room was very spacious with good views of the city unfortunately we were the wrong side to see the harbour. It has all the amenities of a good quality hotel & the room was well suplied with toiletries & coffee making etc'. As a bonus in the restaurant you can watch the thrill seekers jumping off the Skytower at the end of a rope that controls their descent, rather them than me but it is facinating to watch. Enjoy your stay there is nothing in the hotel to spoil it.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DavidPMessingham
Reviewed 22 October 2010

stay here everytime when in akl,suite harbour view is best if you stay long enough to enjoy the view and need space, but all otjer rooms are perfect too. spa is great, recommend at least 60min massage! location, ok, reception could do faster or create a quick check out for businesstravelers,since yedterday i had 100s of 80+ people in front of me, waiting for a cruise ship. see you soon!

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank gekom82
Reviewed 15 October 2010

Nice greeting on arrival, checkin without a fuss. Room was very nice indeed. Bathroom a bit small, but appreicated the nice bathtub, great for soaking in. Came back to our room after being in the casino to find a nice plate of dried fruit and chocolate cake coutesy of the hotel. A very nice touch, not asked for. The price vis-a-vis quality is outstanding at this hotel. I have stayed in many nice hotels, but this would only rate 2nd to the westin in sydney. Will def be staying again. Too, the bed was sublime, so rare to find these days, usually I find theyre too soft, but this was just magic. Worth the few extra dollars when compared with the Sky City Hotel. Ive stayed at both, and this one is much better.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scb222
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We booked a package on Wotif for a 5 day trip to Auckland, basically for shopping and appointments, so wanted to be central. arrived early morning and were checked straight into room. later in the day we looked across the hallway and saw a much better view from the other side so asked to change rooms, and were promptly moved to a new room, lower down on the 12th floor but with a view of the city. staff were always attentive and helpful. the only downside as others have commented was small box tv, and lack of free wifi, but other than that we were happy with our stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple