“Decent Corporate Hotel in Heart of Auckland”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Sky City Grand is the corporate conference partner to the Sky City Casino hotel- both colocated with the Sky Tower in central Auckland. This is a perfectly competent, modern hotel that works but is not that interesting. The lobby and public area is very large and well appointed in a modern sense. The front desk, concierge and valet personnel were all pleasant and competent. The king room was large with good- very good bed, linens, towels and toiletries. As usual expensive or corporate hotels almost always charge for in-room internet and the Sky City Grand is no different- and the rates here were outrageous. We had one breakfast in the hotel- a very large, quite good buffet that was too much to eat at a fairly hefty price- US$28 per person. Overall the hotel was a fair value and its location provides a good access to much of the central city.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We are in the final stages of the sign off process for a full hotel room refurbishment – we are very excited about this and hope to welcome you back in the future to experience our new rooms. We are also pleased to announce that we offer complimentary WIFI access to all hotel guests.

Reviewed 15 January 2011

Auckland was our first stop in New Zealand. We arrived at 10am after a long flight and were so grateful that a room was ready! The room was huge! Massive bed and a sitting area. The bathroom was also huge with a separate bath and shower cubicle. We were on the 12th floor and had great views over the harbour and islands. The room really does feel 'grand'!
The hotel is right next to the Sky Tower and the harbour area is in easy walking distance.

Reviewed 12 January 2011

Great hotel in a central location. The Casino was OK.. Not very crowded and there is a small hotel right at the back which served great burgers. The hotel is linked to the SkyTower so that was a great attraction. Breakfast was nothing to rave about - the usual baked goodies with eggs station, etc.
Walking out of the hotel was great as everthing is nearby - shops, cinemas, great restaurants. Overall a great place to spend a couple of days in Auckland.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 January 2011

I had been wanting to stay at Sky City Grand for a while as I had heard such great things about it. I was bitterly disappointed.

I booked in for a stay on the way back from an international trip and my first issue arose when I checked in. First they would only accept certain credit cards on check in or otherwise required a $500 deposit. It took quite a while to check in as service was very slow.
When I got to my room I discovered it didn't have a bath even though my confirmation had said there would be one. I called downstairs to discuss this and after a long conversation was eventually offered a room change. I declined as I was exhausted and couldn't be bothered facing the queues at the front desk again.

Later that evening I went down to the pool as I was hot and in need of a swim. I arrived to find the entire pool area shut. I called downstairs again to find out when it would reopen. The person on the front desk said she didn't know.

The next day I arrived back in the evening to find my room serviced but the bathrobes were gone. I called down AGAIN to ask for a bathrobe. I was told they would send one up. 45 minutes later and still no bathrobe. So I called again and then one did come up.

Finally the following day when I went to check out, the receptionist asked whether there were any expenses other than a drink at the bar. I toid her I had certainly not ordered a drink at the bar. She said she would check the signatures and figure it out.

All in all there are FAR better places to stay in Auckland. Skycity Grand is down the dirty end of the CBD, the decor in the rooms is old fashioned and the service is terrible. Usually I stay at hotels without having to call reception once. In less than 48 hours at Skycity Grand I had to call 4 times. Poor. Will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank acnz1
Reviewed 11 January 2011

We stayed for 2 nights, new years eve and new years day...excellent choice.

Being that sky city tower is right next door you barely have to go anywhere, there are plenty of restaurants, clubs/bars, activities(sky jump), spa and even a casino.
On new years eve there was special events/entertainment at sky city which created a fun atmosphere. And despite everything going on around the hotel, once up in our room we couldnt really hear any noise form the street which was great!

Our room was on level 19, no.4 (Luxury King room) and we had an awesome view of the fireworks which came from the sky tower, as well as a great view over the city of firworks from the harbour and other random places.

The room was beautiful, very clean and classy...lovely bathroom - except the toilet seat was a strange shape which was a little uncomfortable.

Buffet breakfast was great, staff were lovely, room service quick.
Definitely recommend! And ask for a high level room...

DO NOT dine at the Peter Gordon restaurant, unless you enjoy paying $50+ for a main the size of your palm. Very snobby waiters.

Reviewed 5 January 2011

We stayed two nights at SkyCity Grand and enjoyed it very much. The room was clean, modern and comfy. The bathroom was spotless and well maintained with quality toileteries provided.

The breakfast was excellent with lots of quality options. The service was great too. Being in central Auckland, it was very handy to go around and the valet parking was a bonus.

The only downside was that we were given a room with 2 beds (1 queen & 1 single) which we didn't need. As a result the room felt too crampy for 2 people.

Overall it was a very nice place to stay and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 December 2010

Stayed for two nights in November and again for two nights in December. Both stays were with out fault. Meals on site were good and reasonably priced, security between floors was good and incorporated your room key card with the elevator controls. The roof top pool and exercise area were topped off with a large sauna . Al staff were polite and eager to help out with any thing we needed. Location is well suited if you want to shop or use the harbor but this hotel is a distance from the airport if you are just using it for a stop over. The only negative would be the cost of using the internet. Hotels such as this must understand that not everyone is on an expense account and should provide limited free WI FI so that guests can check E Mail etc.