“lovely hotel, but missing the true 5 star touches”

SKYCITY Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Australia
“lovely hotel, but missing the true 5 star touches”
Reviewed 10 March 2011

Stayed at the Skycity Grand Hotel in March 2011. It is a lovely hotel, with well trained, friendly staff and a modern lobby. The Hotel features dine by Peter Gordon which I ate at on my first night which was excellent and high recommended.
The room itself is lovely, modern, large-ish however I felt that it was missing the 5 Star touches. Little things that i tend to notice in other 5 star hotels weren't there - such as tissues in the bedroom, a glass in the bathroom to keep your toothbrush or rinse your mouth, complimentary bottled water- small things that make a difference to me. If this doesnt bother you, then I would highly recommend this hotel, which I thought was excellent value compared to other Auckland Hotels including the Hilton or Westin. This hotel was much much cheaper.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank 180mis
Alison B, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We are in the final stages of the sign off process for a full hotel room refurbishment – we are very excited about this and hope to welcome you back in the future to experience our new rooms. We are also pleased to announce that we offer complimentary WIFI access to all hotel guests.

alison.borland@skycity.co.nz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Stayed here for a week and really wanted to like this hotel as the staff are excellent. Unfortunately I'm not sure if it's because SkyCity is best at running casino's or are excessively cheap but I found this hotel frustrating as a business traveller.

Liked
- Truly great staff, probably the best in any Auckland hotel
- Can bill from any restaurant / bar in SkyCity across the road to your room (went to Bellota which was excellent)
- Small but good gym and nice indoor pool
- Good sized room

Disliked
- Excessively expensive internet
- No WIFI in rooms only cable! When you pay for internet for the day they give you a wifi password that you can use in the lobby
- worn towels and bathrobes and a general lack of amenities in room (no slippers, toothbrushes, razors etc)
- No business centre (staff very sympathetic and helpful and gave me a email address I could email printing to that they would then print)

Overall I think this is a hotel that was built to be great but seems to be affected by severe cost-cutting that makes it more 3* than 5*.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank splatnz
London
Reviewed 24 February 2011

Stayed at the Sky City Grand recently when in Auckland with my husband. We were there for a night and were very happy with the check in and hotel generally. Did not get a chance to use the pool. Lovely harbour view and good breakfast. No WIFI however in the rooms which I would love to see hotels provide free of charge!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 February 2011

I am a fussy sleeper.... Possibly the fussiest sleeper ever, and if the place is even the slightest bit off (too hot/too noisy/too light) I won't sleep right or worse I freak out and my poor wife has to convince me that the sheets aren't vines attacking me, or that there really isn't something wrong with my arm, or even better that I don't need to bury the clay to grow pottery and that its ok to get back into bed and go to sleep! Oh the joys of being married to me...

Anyway forearmed with that small snippet of a backstory and context I think it's only fair to continue with my review.

Everything about this place was pristine, and from the moment we pulled up the staff did nothing but impress me, in one instance we called to find out exactly was in our package and minutes later the clerk from the front desk was knocking on our door with an envelope containing our freshly printed details. The room was immaculate and really felt like luxury. The location is great and the casino is obviously extremely close if you are into that sort of thing. The restaurants are well regarded and although we didn't eat dinner at any during our stay we did have a breakfast in the morning that was great.

But back to the main theme here, I had possibly the best sleep I have ever had in a hotel room. So fussy sleepers fear not!!! This is the place for you!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Sydney
Reviewed 6 February 2011

This hotel is in a great location, the staff were very helpful, and the rooms/beds were very comfortable. This hotel is central to everything in the Auckland CBD, and I would highly recommend that people travelling to Auckland stay at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Brighton
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Stayed here at the end of a long trip around NZ for a night of luxury. First up all the staff were exceptional from front desk, concierge and cleaners. Room on 8th floor so entry level but was big, clean and well kept. However the location isnt great, most of the good bars & restaurants are near the waterfront which is about a 10 minute walk away. Not the end of the world but for the money it may be better to stay near the viaduct area or liner terminal.

Ok for a night but for a long stay I'm not sure it would be right.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 28 January 2011

Good 5* hotel with centre city location, across the street from the Skytower and casino. The hotel staff was very friendly and went out of their way to sort out some issues that we had with our reservations. Concierge was very friendly as well and helped us with dinner reservations and airport transfers. Highly recommended.

The hotel is quite far from the harbour so there isn't much point in having a harbour facing room.

Good indoor swimming pool area. Room service was excellent as well.

Family friendly and you can try the apartments with a kitchenette if you are here with kids.

Stayed December 2010, travelled with family