I was disappointed with this hotel. It was not up to the normally high standards of Stamford hotels.
The first thing that "got me" was on checking in I noticed there was a 1.5% surcharge if paying by credit card. Surely, in this day and age, that should be incorporated in to the tariff.
We decided to dine at "The Grasshopper" Modern Thai restaurant which is part of the hotel. No complaints about the food or service. All wonderful. But when we got the bill I asked for a pen so I could sign it to our room. The , very apologetic, waitress advised us that there was a 5% surcharge to charge it to our hotel room !!!! I understand that maybe the restaurant is a separate entity from the hotel but it is still "in house" I paid by credit card and withdrew the 10% tip I had intended to give. That was a shame as I know the waiting staff are not to blame for the restaurants polices.
Finally the room itself. We had a room on the 5th floor facing the main street. We even had a view of the tower. Very nice. But very noisy. Around 3.30 - 4.00 am a group of "very happy " people had gathered outside the hotel. I think a nightclub must have just closed and they had nowhere else to go. But they stayed there for nearly 2 hours. I'm not blaming the people. They were enjoying themselves, but the soundproofing of the hotel might need an upgrade. Or request a room on one of the higher levels.
Finally the bathroom. This is what really let the hotel down. It was badly in need of refurbishment. The shower enclosure had cracked tiles, and very visible mold growing quite extensively. Not up to the Stamford quality I have come to know.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- World-class luxury in the heart of the city, just minutes away from the harbour and viaduct. Please note that construction on the city rail link project is underway on Albert St. Stamford Plaza Auckland remains accessible to vehicles and pedestrians, all day, every day. Albert St remains open in both directions throughout the CRL upgrade. However it is limited to one way in each direction. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Stamford Plaza Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stamford Plaza Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Stamford Plaza Hotel Auckland
- Auckland Stamford Plaza Hotel
- Stamford Plaza Auckland New Zealand