My boyfriend and I stayed at the Stamford Plaza in a a superior room with breakfast (winter snuggler package) that we booked online with wotif. We choose this hotel primarily for the pool and spa because we both love to swim. Here is what we believe to be a fair summary of the positive and negative sides of our stay.
- excellent location close to the sky tower and viaduct harbour.
- wonderful award winning asian style food court just - across the road.
- hotel staff from receptionists to cleaners, and breakfast staff, and porters were friendly and professional.
- room was clean enough
- nice big king size bed (slightly springy) but certainly sleepable.
- quiet hotel
- separate toilet
- manager quick to deal with annoying cell phone alarm of neighbouring guest that was left to endlessly ring.
- very good buffet breakfast
- very good water pressure
- well equipped gym
- lovely changing rooms by pool.
- Hotel staff are gracious about letting their guests still use the gym, pool area, and change rooms for the rest of the day after they have checked out.
- pool was a huge disappointment. Though indoor in a beautiful setting with city views, the water in the swimming pool was absolutely freezing! We estimate only about 13 degrees at best. I love to swim laps and would have even swam in an outdoor pool, but this was the coldest pool I have ever come across in my life! I tried twice to get in it, but it was unbearable! My boyfriend managed it (staunch avid swimmer that he is) but he found it very unpleasant and swam furiously. He was the only guest who was brave enough to use the pool. I spoke with an asian lady who said that even in the summer that pool is far to cold to use and that she had complained on occasions and nothing had been done. A nz man who lives permanently in one of the luxury apartments above the hotel also told us that he had been complaining for over a year for them to heat the pool properly to no avail. Two asian ladies sitting in the lukewarm spa with us (because that is doeable, but not hot) were also annoyed that they could not swim in the pool. A staff member came into the pool area and we mentioned about the pool and spa temperatures. He patronizinly felt both trying to make out that the freezing pool was 23 degrees or more and the other pool 36 degrees. We insisted that he was mistaken and my boyfriend asked reception to please heat the pools. They said they would, but 24hrs later the spa pool was still just as luke warm, and the other pool maybe 2 degrees more, but still far to cold to use and likely to remain that way! The air in the pool area was also cool. The pool situation is such a pitty as it has massive potential to be the best selling feature of the hotel, but the management are seemingly more concerned with saving on their electric bill!
- light inside waldrobe would only turn off on one of the 3 cupboard areas. We searched and searched but could not find another switch anyhwere, so were stuck with annoying glow from the closet while sleeping.
- great detachable showerhead over the bath, but no shower curtain and even though I was careful it was impossible to use it and not soak the foor. I would have liked for the handheld shower to have been inside the separate shower.
- bathroom sink, etc was dated - but ok.
- view out window was dull - back of hotel of neighbouring building - though this may have been better with a room upgrade.
- had to use a swip card for lifts and pool access. Ours did not work, so after wasting 15mins going up and down in the lift and trying to get it working we got it changed. Even then the cards had to be used slowly in just the right direction or they would not work.
Overall we loved our time in Auckland and the hotel though not really a 5 star in our view was ok. From the reviews of other hotels we have read on trip advisor, they all have their good and bad points.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- World-class luxury in the heart of the city, just minutes away from the harbour and viaduct. Please note that construction on the city rail link project is underway on Albert St. Stamford Plaza Auckland remains accessible to vehicles and pedestrians, all day, every day. Albert St remains open in both directions throughout the CRL upgrade. However it is limited to one way in each direction. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Stamford Plaza Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stamford Plaza Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Stamford Plaza Hotel Auckland
- Auckland Stamford Plaza Hotel
- Stamford Plaza Auckland New Zealand