“FREEZING cold pool a big disappointment!”

Stamford Plaza Auckland
Ranked #14 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Christchurch, New Zealand
“FREEZING cold pool a big disappointment!”
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Stamford Plaza in a a superior room with breakfast (winter snuggler package) that we booked online with wotif. We choose this hotel primarily for the pool and spa because we both love to swim. Here is what we believe to be a fair summary of the positive and negative sides of our stay.
Positive side:
- excellent location close to the sky tower and viaduct harbour.
- wonderful award winning asian style food court just - across the road.
- hotel staff from receptionists to cleaners, and breakfast staff, and porters were friendly and professional.
- room was clean enough
- nice big king size bed (slightly springy) but certainly sleepable.
- quiet hotel
- separate toilet
- manager quick to deal with annoying cell phone alarm of neighbouring guest that was left to endlessly ring.
- very good buffet breakfast
- very good water pressure
- well equipped gym
- lovely changing rooms by pool.
- Hotel staff are gracious about letting their guests still use the gym, pool area, and change rooms for the rest of the day after they have checked out.
Negative side:
- pool was a huge disappointment. Though indoor in a beautiful setting with city views, the water in the swimming pool was absolutely freezing! We estimate only about 13 degrees at best. I love to swim laps and would have even swam in an outdoor pool, but this was the coldest pool I have ever come across in my life! I tried twice to get in it, but it was unbearable! My boyfriend managed it (staunch avid swimmer that he is) but he found it very unpleasant and swam furiously. He was the only guest who was brave enough to use the pool. I spoke with an asian lady who said that even in the summer that pool is far to cold to use and that she had complained on occasions and nothing had been done. A nz man who lives permanently in one of the luxury apartments above the hotel also told us that he had been complaining for over a year for them to heat the pool properly to no avail. Two asian ladies sitting in the lukewarm spa with us (because that is doeable, but not hot) were also annoyed that they could not swim in the pool. A staff member came into the pool area and we mentioned about the pool and spa temperatures. He patronizinly felt both trying to make out that the freezing pool was 23 degrees or more and the other pool 36 degrees. We insisted that he was mistaken and my boyfriend asked reception to please heat the pools. They said they would, but 24hrs later the spa pool was still just as luke warm, and the other pool maybe 2 degrees more, but still far to cold to use and likely to remain that way! The air in the pool area was also cool. The pool situation is such a pitty as it has massive potential to be the best selling feature of the hotel, but the management are seemingly more concerned with saving on their electric bill!
- light inside waldrobe would only turn off on one of the 3 cupboard areas. We searched and searched but could not find another switch anyhwere, so were stuck with annoying glow from the closet while sleeping.
- great detachable showerhead over the bath, but no shower curtain and even though I was careful it was impossible to use it and not soak the foor. I would have liked for the handheld shower to have been inside the separate shower.
- bathroom sink, etc was dated - but ok.
- view out window was dull - back of hotel of neighbouring building - though this may have been better with a room upgrade.
- had to use a swip card for lifts and pool access. Ours did not work, so after wasting 15mins going up and down in the lift and trying to get it working we got it changed. Even then the cards had to be used slowly in just the right direction or they would not work.
Overall we loved our time in Auckland and the hotel though not really a 5 star in our view was ok. From the reviews of other hotels we have read on trip advisor, they all have their good and bad points.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jetset_girl_78
StamfordPlazaAkl, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 22 August 2011
Dear Ms Cameron

Many thanks for taking the time to post what I found to be a fair and constructive review of your stay with us and I was delighted to learn of the many positives

I sincerely regret the problems that you experienced with the pool temperature and the manner in which your feedback was handled and would like to apologise for this

The comments that you reported to our staff during your stay were followed up and upon investigation we found that there was a problem with the pool heat pump thermometer. This thermostat is set at 25 degrees for the pool and 35 degrees for the sauna, which is generally recognised as the optimum operating temperatures. Despite daily checks by our engineers, we had not realised that whilst the gauges were showing that the temperature was as set, that the actual temperature was indeed significantly less. This problem was rectified and I am sorry that feedback we had been receiving from our guests appears to have been ignored and can assure is certainly not an attempt to save on electricity costs as the pool area is indeed one of the great features of the hotel

I do hope that we get the chance to welcome you and your partner back (to a warm pool!) on a future occasion

Regards

Peter Gee
Stamford Plaza Auckland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Central Coast NSW
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We were staying here with 15 other couple on a conference and we had to unload our own bags from the airport transfers whilst the conceirge stood there, check in was good but the staff were not friendly and quiet abrupt in ways. Certaintly not like the Sydney Stamford. Rooms were lovely we had a corner view and well appointed and clean, beds were not great 2 singles stuck together and very hard. But overall nice room. Breakfast was nice but not to a standard you would expect from Stamford, standard choices, but no omelette stations and at times the meals were cold and the tea you received was a mix of coffee and tea maybe it was the language barriers with some of staff but they were attentive and friendly more than the reception staff. Overall i think service needs to be improved at this type of level of hotel but overall great position and nice rooms

Room Tip: ask for a corner room they have more room and better view
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
StamfordPlazaAkl, Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
Dear SCMG

I was very sorry to hear of the short comings you experienced with your breakfast and would apologize on behalf of my team and myself and assure you that these matters have been addressed,

Warm regards,
Christian Pulley
Director Food & Beverage
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed here on the last night of our NZ trip and wished we'd stayed longer! We booked a package that included a full buffet breakfast, valet parking, a bottle of champagne and late check-out. We chose to upgrade our room and the hotel upgraded us again to a spacious room with a separate living area and a kitchenette/laundry. The room was fantastic and the buffet breakfast was by far the best we had ever eaten in a hotel, both in terms of the quality and variety of food. The staff were very friendly and efficient and having access to the business centre was useful for doing our on-line check-in. We would thoroughly recommend the Stamford if you're looking for a comfortable hotel that's well located in the city centre.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear QldTheresa
Thank you for your comment. We are glad you enjoyed your upgrade as we love to pamper our guests.
Warm regards
Edwin Saldanha
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I stayed at four hotels, both 4 and 5 star, across NZ and Australia throughout the month of July 2011, and will be reviewing them all. This is the only one that I could not find anything worth criticising. Friendly staff, fast lifts, spacious room with a nice ambience, very comfy bed, quiet, and central to the CBD. Maybe my only real nitpick is that I always found the bathroom shower difficult to set to the right temperature quickly.... yep that's all... I'd thoroughly recommend this hotel to anybody. That's twice I've been to Auckland now - two different hotels, and both excellent. Well done Auckland!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
StamfordPlazaAkl, Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Dear sw2092,

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and delighted to pass your very kind comments on to all of our staff.

Warm regards
Edwin Saldanha
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Booked on the hotel's website for 3 nights.
After I checked in I found that the bedlinen was stained (it had been washed but had a stain that hadn't been removed by washing).
I also found a hand towel that was stained also.
One of the night managers who I complained about the bed linen to was unhelpful and a bit rude I felt.
I checked out 1 day early as I didn't feel comfortable staying at the hotel after encountering more than one problem with the linen and that the deluxe room I stayed in was a bit shabby and not good value.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on upgrading to a Deluxe room
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
StamfordPlazaAkl, Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
Dear SYDGUY2130,

I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Following our discussion prior to your departure from the hotel and upon further investigation, we discovered an issue with a chemical imbalance with our in house laundry which caused these marks. This has now been corrected and we regret that it took your experiences to bring it to our attention.

Why it is not possible to undo the past, and as discussed, we would like the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel next time you are in Auckland in order to make amends

Once again I would extend my apologies

Lochie Cameron
Rooms Division Manager
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My husband and I spent a week travelling around NZ in a motor home, but as our flight came in late Saturday we decided to stay somewhere nice in the city for our first night in NZ. After the shock of paying for our cab into the CBD from the airport ($85NZ!!!!!!), we were pleased to walk into the lobby of the Stamford Plaza. The lobby is spacious and welcoming. Staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was nicely fitted out with modern furnishings and a very comfortable king size bed. The bathroom included a bath and a separate toilet with beautiful L'Occitaine toiletries. From our room we had a great view of the sky tower and the hotel is situated centrally with everything only a few blocks away.
We had the buffet breakfast, being a Sunday morning it seemed that the entire population of Auckland was there too. It had a wide selection but was extremely crowded, meaning you had to wait in line to get most things.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to other travellers.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NellyC76
Admir_Mullaaliu, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review.

Stamford Plaza Auckland team looks forward to welcome you back soon.

Admir Mullaaliu | Assistant General Manager
sydney
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Expensive but nice hotel. Looks a bit run down and needs a refurb. Lifts take ages to arrive. Lovely warm pool at the top with city views. Friendly staff and great restaurants on site. Loved the meals in the restaurant in the lobby.. nice fusion food. The Teppanyaki and Thai restaurants also seemed popular. Rooms are spacious and clean. No wi-fi in rooms or lobby but only in business centre. Hotel central to everything. Nice pubs and restaurants close by.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street front.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review.

Stamford Plaza Auckland team looks forward to welcome you back soon.

Admir Mullaaliu | Assistant General Manager