“Nice and great location”

Stamford Plaza Auckland
Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We stayed here for a night off from the kids (which already made it wonderful) and we usually live in Auckland. The hotel is in a great location handy to everything you need right in central Auckland. We had a Deluxe room on the 10th floor which was nice but I am not sure what the standard ones are like. We didn't have much of a view a peep to the sea and views of other buildings. There seems to be no floors above the 10th. The pool, spa and gym looked really nice although we did not swim in them (no time).
Breakfast was nice also, my only negatives were, the noise, a little noisy I was woken at 6am by faint but annoying music likely in another room, you can hear voices and bathroom noise but it't not too bad. There were continuously however room service used dishes in the hall some were there for hours and hours not that nice to walk by. And it was very busy, likely as they have had some special deals, which is good but meant check in, check out there were queues and at breakfast very busy and our car took half hour to come from valet parking. Overall I would stay again, a nice hotel with all the service extras you would expect.

Room Tip: Floors 9 and 10 are the better rooms although you have to pay for them.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
John M, Public Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Dear Lynette,

Great to read you gave yourself a treat and had a break from the kids.

I have taken your concerns regarding room service and queues to the relevant heads of department to address directly with their teams.

I am glad you found our amenities up to standard and look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

We managed to pick up a deal to stay at the Stamford for a night - we have stayed at a lot of hotels in town but this one normally out of our price range. We got to enjoy valet parking, a cocktail each at the bar - which I must say was fab! We arrived at our room to find a spacious room with a large bathroom which consisted of a bath, separate shower and a separate toilet - this impressed me as most toilets are just in the bathroom. I love the long basin area so we can actually put all our deoderants, toothbrush, make up etc and still have space. The bed was nice (have had better but not bad). We used the spa in the gym which was great, also had heated indoor pool, was lovely to look outside as the wall was almost totally glass. Breakfast was nice, large selection, the only think I'd like to state is that it is behind the foyer which is all open plan. I just found this odd, didn't bother me though - nicely decorated. We had also arrived at 1pm for book in (was also impressed with an earlier book in time than some places) so enjoyed a slightly later lunch of High Tea - nice but disappointed we only were offered one cup of coffee...not a continuous pot!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheBarrsNZ

Dear TheBarrsNZ

Great to hear you finally managed to come and stay with us.

You sure sound like you made the most of the fantastic facilities whilst here.

You will be happy to know we are undergoing a refurbishment this year and the bed that wasn't quite up to standard will be replaced.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

PR& Marketing Manager

Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

We got a deal for the room for the value was amazing for the hotel. From previous comments read about paper thin walls - we had no issues there the room was silent and had no external noise coming through. The bathroom was amazing one of the only hotels I have stayed in that the toilet is separate to the bathroom and the shower is separate to the bath - very luxurious! The room was smart and very flash and that's where it ended! The bed was advised to be an actual king bed not 2 pushed together however we had 2 beds pushed together. When u sat on the bed it did not sink in with your body weight - it was like sleeping on the floor - mind I probably would have had a better sleep on the floor!! The pillows were as hard as a rock. So not a very comfortable sleep!!! My back is now killing me and got a total of about 4 hours sleep on and off - I don't know why hotels don't invest in medium beds rather than hard ones. But otherwise a nice hotel!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Zimjay

Dear Zimjay,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am happy to read that you were pleased with our large rooms and extensive bathrooms, we are very proud of these ourselves. However am less pleased that you had an uncomfortable bed. You will be happy to hear that we are under going a refurbishment of the rooms this year and those beds in question will be replaced.

I hope to see you back with us sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Fantastically appointed and central to everything in the auckland CBD. you would struggle to find better. Friednly staff and choice of restaurants downstairs. Great rooms and facilities. Now my favourite place to atay in auckland. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank LukaszZ

Dear LukaszZ

Thank you for the glowing review after your recent stay with us.

Its always nice to read we are ticking all the right boxes for our guests. Our location is second to none in Auckland City.

I look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

The Stamford Plaza is very well located. A short walk to restaurants, the shopping district and the harbour. The lobby was impressive, the front desk staff friendly, and the concierge was very helpful. I enjoyed the friendly top-hatted gentleman who always greeted me at the door.

Now, a few negatives - while they were able to hold my luggage when I arrived early (after a long overseas flight), they did not make any other effort to accommodate me in any way. Rooms were okay - nothing special at all. There was dirt on the wall light switch (where you placed your room key to power things up) which was never wiped off - I checked each day, no change. This was a small thing, but it left me with the feeling that if they missed this detail, what else did they miss? Housekeeping didn`t seem to know the difference between shampoo/conditioner and body wash. We had a shortage of one, and a surplus of another. I finally resorted to hiding all and they replenished (put the surplus back when we left). One day, they forgot to clean our room - even with the green “service room” light on. Called the front desk to get this effectively resolved. While many hotels have a policy re: placing a card on your bed so that linens aren`t changed daily (to preserve energy), at the Stamford they wouldn`t service your room. I read the card so I understood this, but I found it to be the strangest policy I`ve seen anywhere. They have to come into the room to see the card, and then leave.

Again, the location is great. Just a few small quality checks that the staff should look at addressing.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank sandalsnosox

Dear sandalsnosox

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to our property.

Our location really in one of a kind here in Auckland city and Miguel our doorman is just as fantastic and unique as our location.

I have taken your feedback regarding the housekeeping to our head of department who will be reviewing this and looking at procedure in the future to ensure these issues do not arise again.

If you are back in NZ I would warmly invite you back to ensure these issues have been rectified.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

10 year anniversary celebration so my husband made it special. Stayed in town so we can have a drink with dinner and no hassle of driving home. Very central. Had a drink at the lobby bar which had good ambience except for giant tv by bar showing rugby. Kinda cheapened the place I feel. Room was spacious and clean. Bit tired but nothing too obvious. Everything was going well except we got an unwanted wake up call at 7:30am! Reception staff was a let down. There was no how was your stay when we checked out. No apologies as well when I told the girl about the wake up call. Tsk tsk for letting down everyone else in the hotel who had fantastic customer service.

Room Tip: Top floors as always offer the best view!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Gracie2010

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay and congratulations on your 10 year anniversary.

We are very pleased with our location in Auckland and I am sure you would find it hard pressed to find a better located hotel. I understand your reservations about the game being on the biog screen and this is not the norm, however if a guest requests that a certain sports event be played and it is relevant to the guests overall then we will from time to time put the Rugby, netball, cricket or even American Football on the the big screen.

You comments regarding the front desk staff has been forwarded onto the head of department to be addressed, I am sorry to read that this left you with a negative final image of the hotel. it s far from the norm.

We will be under going a refurbishment this year also so those few tired rooms will not be tired any longer, everything will look fabulous.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next special occasion.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

Very impressed with the Stamford Auckland. Service was fantastic. The rooms were very nice, comfortable and clean. The Pool and Spa area is amazing, had tall glass windows allowing you to see out to the city views. My next stay in Auckland will definitely be back at the Stamford.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear JRD09

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Stamford Plaza Auckland.

It is always great to read that we have ticked all the right boxes for our guests. Our unique central location and fantastic facilities are always appreciated and I am glad you appreciate these as well.

You will be happy to hear that we currently run a free in room wi-fi campaign and that the hotel will be under going refurbishment shorty to iron out those parts of the hotel that could do with an upgrade.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.