“Everything you'd expect, both good and bad”

Stamford Plaza Auckland
Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersBronze level
ResearchTraveller
“Everything you'd expect, both good and bad”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Spent only a single night here while travelling with a friend. Thought it would be fun to have a city centre hotel with a pool to chill out in before going out. SP is a lot like other city centre hotels I've experienced before - the character is all in the lobby and once you're out of the lift, it's the same endless corridors and very smart but generically decorated room. That said, the views are good from a lot of windows, our room was extremely clean and comfortable, and a bit smarter than other hotels have been, particularly the bathroom. The staff were really helpful, the location is great and there was almost no road noise in our room. So we got a great nights swim. The pool and fitness suite are pretty good, although the spa tub is a bit lacking in gusto. Really annoying that you have to pay for wifi. I don't see why this can't be free these days, as we are not all business people with expenses accounts. Nice to have real milk for coffee! Didn't try the breakfast. In all, it's just what you expect from an inner city four star - won't blow you away with originality or style, but very comfy, clean and friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assistant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear ResearcherTraveller,

Thank you for your recent review, I am pleased you had a good experience and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

admirmullaaliu@spak.stamford.com.au

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
New Zealand
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Rated Qual mark five star but three and a half at best in my opinion.
On booking I upgraded to the delux room, the best on offer. Our first room, while it had a view of the harbour, only had a small queen size bed. We were moved to a room that looked directly into the service lift shaft of the apartments above the hotel. We had to keep the curtains mostly closed because it was so disturbing having the lifts whistling up and down outside our window. We made repeated requests to be moved and while being offered two alternatives, the view was largely the same. We were being fobbed off time and again by the front desk staff.
We were in room 1018, near the hotel lifts,so to add to the distraction of the view we had a persistent noise from the hotel lifts.
Did I mention the street noise? Yes that too on the top floor of this promoted five star hotel.
The breakfast buffet in no way compares to any decent hotel I have stayed in. The choices were minimal. Hard to believe that this place is an international hotel. On our second morning we walked to a cafe down the street. A first for us anywhere in the world. That is how uninspiring breakfast is at this hotel.
In room wifi? Yes it's there for $25 dollars a day
One small bottle of complimentary water between two people. No toothbrush and paste in the toiletries. Two star hotels across Asia are way more generous than this.
I often stay in Auckland so have a good sense of what is on offer. This was my first time here and my last.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tikiland
Dear Tikiland,

Thank you for your honest review, I appreciate it.
Our team strives to deliver outstanding service and product offerings to our guests and your feedback will be used as a tool for us to improve on.

Please get in touch with me directly as I would like to provide a full response to your recent stay with us.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed for business and it was ideal. Close to everything you need and in walking distance to some great places to eat. Didn't actually eat at the hotel so can't comment. Room was a great size as was the bathroom, bed was confortable etc. All the things you need on a business trip to make you feel at home. Staff at the bar downstairs are very friendly as well. Would stay again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank HolnMatt
Dear HoInMatt,

Thank you for your review of Stamford Plaza Auckland. I am pleased you had a great experience and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

I have ensured your feedback has been shared with the lobby bar staff.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Honestly though... call yourself a top class hotel and then charge $25 per day for in room wifi. Ridiculous. I don't know how these hotels can keep doing this.

Beds were nice. Hotel was clean. Rooms were big and comfortable. Room service was prompt. Nothing special all round, but adequate. Great part of town.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your honest feedback, I appreciate it.

Please get in touch with me directly and I will ensure we are able to look after you on your future stayes.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights at the end of Oct which happened to be NZ's labour day long weekend. I booked and paid for the booking through a website a few weeks prior and got a good price, so I was quite happy about it and was looking forward to the stay.

There was certain old world charm in the decor of the lobby, public areas and the hotel room. Our room was quite small but with a lovely view of the Auckland Tower, the bathroom was clean and spacious.

However the TV set was a shocker, it was a old tube TV of the smallest size, it must be at least 30 years old. In where I live there is a cleanup day for electronics every couple of months where people can throw out their old TVs and computers, etc, TVs discarded on the streets in cleanups are much better than the one in our room at this hotel - unbelievable! We had subsequently stayed in many other properties in our NZ trip, many were motels in small towns, all of them had flat screen TVs.

The more serous problem however is the noise at night. Our room was on level 8 facing the street where the hotel entrance is. There was a nightclub directly across the street, it seemed to open until early dawn with partygoers constantly in and out of the venue, and gathering on the street screaming, yelling, singing and chanting all night long. On my first night (Saturday) I could not go to sleep and called the reception at 2 AM to complain about it, the staff simply said he would see what he could do. I didn't have high expectation that the hotel would go out of its way to do anything, sure enough the noise continued for another 2, 3 hours.

The next day I asked whether I could change room, and was told that there was only one disabled room I could change to. Considering the trouble of repacking just for another night I decided to stay in the same room and hoped the noise would be less bad the second night. The night club again opened for business and the same stuff went on, I was so tired by then that I managed to have a couple of more hours of sleep,

The hotel may not have much say in how other surrounding businesses can operate, but it can certainly raise issues with the local government - surely Auckland city has a noise regulation. And the hotel can upgrade the windows (which are sealed shut) and make them more sound proof. Finally the hotel should throw out its tiny, flicking, almost black and white, ancient TVs - they are a disgrace to the Stamford Plaza brand.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JadeForr
Dear Jade Forr,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate it.

It is through feedback such as yours that we can address issues as we strive to excel in our service and offering.

Please accept my sincerest apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and I welcome you to contact me directly so that I can provide a full response.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This was a top place to stay, staff were helpful. The hotel was clean & well appointed. Most importantly my room was very quiet. This hotel is central to buses & shops. There is a supermarket just around the corner. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assistant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear A P,

Many thanks for your recent TripAdvisor review of Stamford Plaza Auckland.

We thank you for you recommendations and I look forward to welcome you back again soon.

Tauranga
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The superior room we stayed in was although clean, very tired. The T.V. reception was blurry, The wardrobe couldn't be closed due to a wonky door, which meant that the light was on all night. Not wanting to dehydrate with Air Con, we asked for an extra blanket and was told that there was a spare in the room. It was a Single fitted blanket, hard to fit onto a king size bed. When we asked again we were bought another single size blanket. The bar across the road from the third floor room provided constant noise all night.
Next night we had a delux room on 10th floor, exact opposite. Nice room and great service.

Room Tip: Dont stay on bottom floors on fri or sat night due to noise from patrons of bar across road