“Perfect location to explore the city centre”

Stamford Plaza Auckland
Ranked #15 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We had a night here a couple of months ago. The hotel is placed in a great location close to all of the downtown restaurants. It was clean and the bed comfortable, but found the decor and bathroom very tired. The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. All in all it was very comfortable and would recommend if you wanted somewhere close to the shops, public transport, Viaduct Basin and Wynyard Quarter.

Room Tip: Surf the net for deals for this hotel, we travelled with another couple but made separate bookings...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assistant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Frei44,

Thank you for your recommendations on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased you found our staff friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon as we would be well underway with our room refurbishment

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night but were looked after from the moment we booked as we needed extra help regarding medical advice upon our arrival. Kelly from concierge went out of his way to provide the information we needed. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear BritishBetty,

Thank you for your review and recommendations on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased you had an exceptional experience and I note your mention of our Concierge Kelly.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

My husband and i just had a 2 night stay at this lovely hotel. The reception staff were great - we arrived on the day of the triathlon and due to many road closures could not get to the hotel with our rental. Ended up parking at Skycity and walked down a couple of blocks to the hotel. after explaining our predicament - 2 staff went up to Skycity - collected the car and paid the parking!! - which i thought was amazing. The pool and gym facilities are great and the location in spot so close to everything.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assistant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Vicki M

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable experience

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Auckland was our first stop on our honeymoon and we booked at the Stamford as we were so impressed with the one in Adelaide :)
Staff were really helpful and lovely, and surprised us with chocolate cake as a congratulations present :)
We ate at the restaurant there & the staff there were perfect especially Sean Vincent, he was fun and gave us some awesome menu recommendations!
Loved the pool area too!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assitant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Alicia K

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable experience both at Stamford Plaza Adelaide and Stamford Plaza Auckland.

I have made sure Sean has received your appreciations.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

We spent 2 nights at this hotel and found this to be a good location and facilities. Staff were accommodating and the bathroom was generous in size - the toilet did run all night unfortunately and was quite disruptive. The location is a good location to the main shopping areas and the wharf area. We used the pool and spa areas of the hotel and these were enjoyed by the family.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Navman_Tom

Dear Navman_Tom

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased overall you had an enjoyable experience, however I am disappointed the toilet ran all night. Please let me know your stay details as I would like to investigate this further.

I trust you had a safe trip back home to London and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Booked 3 nights via hotels.com meal deal package with free valet parking. Monitored bills via TV in the room. Called reception to sign in with their promo for the 3 nights. Called reception the next night about parking charge. Called reception again the next day about more parking charge.
Erroneous charges deleted only to appear on checkout time. had to remind reception of the meal deal and promo I signed up with them.
I could be pinged with those charges later with my credit card plus 2% if I can not recall what package I bought. Housekeeping knocked on the second day although I have called reception not to.computer system not synchronised?

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Daniel C,

Thank you for the TripAdvisor review, we value your time in letting us know about your experience.

As we always strive for improvement, I would ask you contact me directly with your stay details so I can fully look into your experience.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Years ago, this was the Regent. Nostalgia, because now it's very disappointing.

Nobody at the front door to help with my luggage, or even after check-in. Slack. 6.10pm on a Thursday evening and I asked at Check-In if I could get a suit pressed for the following morning, and I was told that Housekeeping had gone home and would be back at 'about' 8am the next day (so not geared for business). Tired room, woefully inadequate air-conditioning. In April, so no idea how it must be in the height of summer. No turn-down service.

Get this: NZ$26 (US $22) a day for painfully slow WiFi. US & UK hotels would LTFAO! When will the rest of the world realise that frequent business travellers expect free (or reasonable) WiFi as a component of their booking, not a profit centre on the hotel's balance sheet? Make sure you bring a plug adaptor if your appliances are not Australian or Kiwi, because there aren't any in the room. Apparently you can get one from the concierge.

Twice I went outside and had to hail my own taxi. The bellmen just weren't interested. In fact, nobody seemed to care very much about anything involving the guests.

Laundry (not even dry cleaning): out at 0830, back sometime after 6pm. Room bar not refreshed.

Came home on Friday night at 11.45 and the bar was apparently closed. "You can have room service Sir." Seriously? Friday night? 11.45?

On the upside, its a great location for the city and waterfront. The rooms are a good size. There's a 24 hour convenience store over the road. The chair for the work-desk adjusts height-wise. The cleaning seems OK. They have a fax number. There's an ironing board and a steam iron in the room. You can rent a 'telepager", a typewriter, or an Overhead Projector. The room services directory looks like it hasn't been updated since the 90's.

Now maybe none of this matters to you, but if you're here for business, or any kind of 'special' experience, it probably won't hit the spot.

Sad; I used to love this place, but it seems its just a faded shadow of its former glory.

Room Tip: A different hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Hypnotist,

Thank you for your detailed review, we value all guest feedback as we always strive for improvement.
I am pleased to advise Stamford Plaza Auckland is embarking in a full refurbishment which will bring the property back to the glory days.

We look forward to welcoming you back and seeing the improvements.