“When on business”

Stamford Plaza Auckland
Ranked #15 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 April 2014

It's been awhile since I stayed here last when it was called The Regent. We all realise things change over the years and indeed the 'Old Regent' certainly has.
The Stamford has a good location and services the business traveller well. Otherwise it's 'just another hotel' with a big name that can do with an upgrade and should include wifi service in the room as part of the room rate. I don't get it, how so many of these hotels charge $25 p.d. for wifi service...$9,000 per annum! My last annual bill from my service provider was $490

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assistant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear OzTraveller290374,

Thank you for your recent review of Stamford Plaza Auckland.

Stamford Plaza Auckland is embarking a room refurbishment and I look forward to your feedback on your next stay with us.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stayed here for 4 days on business. On arrival I was asked for my credit card for security (normal practice), I provided a credit card and was told that the hotel policy is to hold $100 a day for the length of your stay. So they held $400 on my card as I was staying 4 days. Personally I think this is excessive but agreed as it’s their policy.
Just by coincidence I checked my credit card statement on the 3rd day and noticed that the hotel had taken another $400 from my account. So they had hold of $800. When I raised this with them in the morning I was told that they had held another $400 because I had used the original hold already.
I couldn’t believe this as I hadn’t charged anything back to my room (to date) except a $30 parking fee. When I questioned them on this they had no excuse but admit it was an error on their behalf but offered no real apology.
Surely this has to be illegal; the hotel cannot just take another $400 from my account without informing me first.
I checked out the next day with a bill of around $160. I was asked for my credit card again so they could charge the amount owed. When I suggested they use the $800 hold to fix the bill I was told this can happen but we need to swipe your card again – so I allowed them.
Yep you guessed it – they took the $160 from my card and not from the $800 hold. Misleading information.
It is now 5 days since I checked out and the $800 hold still hasn’t not been released to my card despite 2 conversations with the duty manager informing me that he has requested it.
I travel extensively for work and this is the most dishonest hotel behaviour I had ever come across.
I will never stay here again and would recommend you take my advice and do the same.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank OzTraveller290374

Dear OzTraveller290374,

Thank you for your recent review of Stamford Plaza Auckland.

I am very sorry to learn of your experience. I would appreciate connecting with you directly so we can properly follow up with you.
Please contact me at your earliest convenience so I can personally assist you.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

On a recent 'girls weekend' with my mother and sisters in law, we stayed at the Stamford Plaza as we needed a wheelchair accessible room and convenience to shops, restaurants and Auckland amenities. We were overwhelmed by the genuinely friendly and helpful service we received from ABSOLUTELY everyone working at the hotel, from Miguel at the door who greeted us with a hug and a smile every time we passed him, Arie, a truly exceptional concierge, the gorgeous Nu at the front desk, the breakfast servers and the delightful lady cleaning the pool area. Everyone treated us like valuable customers and we will definitely be back. Rooms, food, amenities were also top class. Highly recommended and would definitely stay again despite having to push the wheelchair up the hill. Thank you Stamford Plaza for a wonderful weekend treat.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assistant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear framills,

Thank you for your fabulous review and excellent rating on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay and found our staff genuine and friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at Stamford Plaza Auckland.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We had a night here a couple of months ago. The hotel is placed in a great location close to all of the downtown restaurants. It was clean and the bed comfortable, but found the decor and bathroom very tired. The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. All in all it was very comfortable and would recommend if you wanted somewhere close to the shops, public transport, Viaduct Basin and Wynyard Quarter.

Room Tip: Surf the net for deals for this hotel, we travelled with another couple but made separate bookings...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assistant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Frei44,

Thank you for your recommendations on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased you found our staff friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon as we would be well underway with our room refurbishment

Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night but were looked after from the moment we booked as we needed extra help regarding medical advice upon our arrival. Kelly from concierge went out of his way to provide the information we needed. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear BritishBetty,

Thank you for your review and recommendations on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased you had an exceptional experience and I note your mention of our Concierge Kelly.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

My husband and i just had a 2 night stay at this lovely hotel. The reception staff were great - we arrived on the day of the triathlon and due to many road closures could not get to the hotel with our rental. Ended up parking at Skycity and walked down a couple of blocks to the hotel. after explaining our predicament - 2 staff went up to Skycity - collected the car and paid the parking!! - which i thought was amazing. The pool and gym facilities are great and the location in spot so close to everything.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assistant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Vicki M

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable experience

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Auckland was our first stop on our honeymoon and we booked at the Stamford as we were so impressed with the one in Adelaide :)
Staff were really helpful and lovely, and surprised us with chocolate cake as a congratulations present :)
We ate at the restaurant there & the staff there were perfect especially Sean Vincent, he was fun and gave us some awesome menu recommendations!
Loved the pool area too!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assitant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Alicia K

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable experience both at Stamford Plaza Adelaide and Stamford Plaza Auckland.

I have made sure Sean has received your appreciations.