“Disapointment”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Whangarei, New Zealand
“Disapointment”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

After hearing from several friends in Auckland that this was one of the top hotels I was expecting a great stay. While the central location was fabulous and we had a particularly happy and helpful valet that was about where the good things ended. First there was the extra bond that we had not been told about, then in our room our bathroom had soap scum around the taps and strands of hair on the vanity, not the cleanliness I have come to expect from hotels in Auckland. The next night at 7.30 some friends came to meet us at our hotel before going out to dinner and while chatting quietly with us in our room we received a noise complaint (from reception) from the room next door, we then started speaking in whispers and still had the next room knocking on the wall.
On checkout we had had quite enough and were ready to leave only to find about 5 hours later that the bond had not been released back to us, we kept checking at various times throughout the day to find this was still the case. The next day when it still had not been released back to us the friend I was travelling with contacted the hotel only to be told it would be two days before it was released back, he insisted that it be done sooner and the woman he spoke to said she would fax the information through to the bank and the money would be there in an hour, two hours later still no money, he rang again, they said half an hour this time, another two hours and still no money, when we rang again they blamed it on the bank so we followed it up with the bank who had received nothing from the hotel. Another call to the hotel and finally after another hour the money was there. I travel to Auckland regularly for events and I will not be staying here again and I will not be recommending it to anyone else.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assistant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Teechick,

Thank you for your review TripAdvisor.

We have since responded to your partner's email and addressed the concerning issues raised with our offer on your next stay, apologies again.

admirmullaaliu@spak.stamford.com.au

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

What amazing service from the two awesome guys manning the front desk for the graveyard shift! I got stranded in the Auckland rain at 2am and they booked me a room for the night along with a much needed laugh! Thank you so much guys and Stamford!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Emily T,

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted our night team was able to look after you at that time in the morning, all part of our service.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for a relaxing weekend this time.

Wellignton
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Very nice stay. Perfect central position, just metres from the Skycity tower and the waterfront. very good customer service, rooms just a tiny bit tired (could use a bit of care expecially in the details) but clean and full of facilities, with big flat screen, bathrobes and slippers and free soaps and shampoos branded Occitane. Recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed at the 10th floor and was great. Upper floors are always the best in this kind of hotels.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assistant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear elipuccioni,

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable experience in one of our deluxe rooms as we continually receive great feedback about l'Occitane amenities.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The Stamford Plaza Hotel provided very pleasant accommodation for a few days and was well located for most of the main attractions around Auckland. The 'superior' room with a king bed was a good size with a spacious bathroom. The room was clean with generally good quality fittings, including a comfortable bed and a good shower, along with a standalone bath and separately doored toilet. Other provisions included a lounge chair, comfortable office chair and desk, bathrobe and slippers, tea and coffee making facilities, a mini-bar and 24 hour room service, nice quality complementary toiletries, and some very handy complementary bottled water. Heating/cooling seemed effective. Despite being on the lowest level fronting onto Albert St my room was quiet and the drapes were effective so it was easy to enjoy a bit of a sleep-in. Security seemed good throughout, including an in-room safe.

The entry level was quite impressive and provided some nice sitting areas, an in-house bar and restaurant, where breakfast was available, as well as a direct connection to a Thai restaurant. Along the connecting passageway was a 'hall of fame' showing some of the more famous guests - global celebrities, politicians and royalty - who have stayed at the hotel over the years. All of the common areas of the hotel (not just the foyer as in some places) were of a good quality and provided a nice ambience. I particularly enjoyed the gym/pool/spa area on the tenth floor with the nice outlook to the harbour; a most relaxing way to end the day, and much better facilities than offered in many places. I'm not really one to make many demands on hotel staff, but any dealings I did have were pleasant and polite, with a special mention to the lovely maid who seemed to be on hand to collect my pool towel every night. A short walk away were many restaurants, shops, entertainment facilities, galleries, the harbour and waterfront, and the Sky Tower and casino, making this a very central location. A 24 hour convenience store was located directly across the street.

The main negative was that the hotel lacked wifi (at least 'free' wifi), which should be a standard inclusion these days, not an expensive option - other than that I would have rated this place a five. To be fair, while I researching hotels in Auckland lack of wifi seemed to be pretty standard in most of the better places, however it still doesn't make it acceptable and I would not rate anywhere without wifi as a five.

Most aspects of my stay were positive other than the wifi, so the following negatives were more niggles or suggested improvements. Firstly I did request a higher level when booking, so was initially a bit disappointed to be put on the lowest floor, however I realised that in reality it probably made little difference as views from higher up were limited by other surrounding tall buildings anyway and as mentioned above street noise was not an issue. The room itself, while very pleasant, was perhaps starting to show a bit of wear and could do with a little work to bring it to a higher standard. For example, the ceiling in the bathroom/toilet was a bit unaesthetic and not really in line with the nicely tiled walls and floor, the bathroom/toilet fan which never turned off was a little noisy, the wardrobe doors were starting to sag on their hinges, there was fairly limited TV reception, just basic free to air I think unless you wanted to buy in-room movies, and the towels while okay but not as good as some - in fact the complimentary towels in pool area were better than those provided in the room. The glass shower-screen seemed like it could do with a bit more thorough cleaning and there were some minor scuffs on the doors. Nothing particularly serious, but as I said it could do with a little work, and in fact the rooms across the hallway seemed to be out of action so perhaps these rooms are in fact in the process of being refurbished. Furthermore, I requested the 'green' option from reception, but this message never seemed to get through to housekeeping, so perhaps this system needs a bit more development.

For the price I paid I was happy with my stay at the Stamford Plaza and it would be at the top of my list for accommodation if I returned to Auckland.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Boxing_Kangaroo
Dear Boxing_Kangaroo,

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I have read carefully your suggested improvements and will be sharing these with our team as we always strive for improvements.

Ashburton, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

A 2 hour wait for check in was not a great start and I had indicated that we would be there at 2 pm. However staff were courteous and very helpful. The 3 restaurants are all very good and service exceptional. The rooms are comfortable but a bit dated.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Marg22

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

Apologies for the delay in the check in, however I am pleased you found staff helpful and courteous.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Super good location.Just 10 mins walk to the Sky Tower.And another 10 mins walk to the Ferries building (Ferry Pier).

Lots of restaurants on your foot.The one at the lobby called 'Grasshopper Thai restaurant' seems very popular by the diners.Full house every night with cozy romantic environment.

If you wanna find a supermarket.The closest is one called 'Countdown' just find your way towards the Sky Tower will get it.
Another 'Countdown' is the biggest one,which is located a bit far.Takes around 20 mins walk from the hotel and situated by the harbor area

Room itself.Hmm,just can say standard but comfy bed.The lobby and the guest room floor has a big difference.Very narrow corridor on the guest floor.

The bad thing is the poor wifi connection in room!
Ive tried several time to sit myself infront of the bath room which is close to the entrance door to 'detect' the wifi signal!OMG,Where is the server?And stop disconnect please!

But of course,you could choose to pay for the internet/go outside to get an internet bar if you like.It's convenient too! :)

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Emily H

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I have shared your feedback with our IT department, and would be grateful if you could contact me directly with your stay details so we can look at the connectivity issues.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Flew up from Wellington recently for the fights, and thought I'd try Stamford for a change.

Our group consisted of 3 male friends, so bedding was a major point when looking at hotels on expedia. When I found Stamford, I phoned Expedia and talked to a lady who was very helpful and phoned the hotel to make sure they could offer 3 single beds. Also, when told normal check in was from 3pm, she added a request for early check in. This was because we were only in Auckland one night and firstly needed to be close to the casino, and secondly we wanted to be able to hang out at the hotel between lunch on the Saturday and the fights Sat night.

We arrived at 1pm, after lunch at my favorite restaurant (La Porchetta) nearby.

We were able to check in straight away, which was great. Although, after mentioning the 3 bed situation again at the front desk, we arrived at the room to find 1 king bed.
But this actually turned into really great entertainment, seen as for the next 1-2 hours, we planned to just chat and have drinks in the room before trying out the pool/spa/sauna area.

So I phoned reception, who answered straight away and very apologetic and sent someone up with the extra bed immediately. Within 5-10 mins a lovely man arrived with the extra bed.

However, after setting up the single bed, he left. This left us with one king bed and one single lol.

I phoned again and the lady on reception guessed correctly that he gave us a single, but didn't turn the king into 2 singles. I said I was happy to do it myself. but we just need the correct bedding.

Soon after, the guy returned, along with someone from management, who fixed the bedding and refused to let us help.

After a few drinks, we headed up the stairs from level 10, to the pool/gym area.

I was blown away with how immaculate the whole area was. It could not possibly have looked any cleaner. I spoke to one of the cleaning ladies in the gym, named Tessa, who I complimented on how clean everything was. She was soooo lovely, the way she spoke to us, like it was so important to her that we were enjoying our stay and to let her know if we needed anything. She is a real credit to Stamford Plaza.

The pool was a perfect temperature and had a great few of Auckland Harbour Bridge. The spa was nice and hot, as was the sauna. I wish we had stayed longer, so we could have spent more time in the spa/pool.

As far as sleep went, the room was nice and quiet and the beds were very comfy.

The location is great as well, being so close to Skycity Casino and Queen Street.

Overall, a great first stay at Stamford Plaza, and I'd be happy to stay again :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assistant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Jacob1,

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased you had an enjoyable experience. Apologies we did not have the correct bedding in the first place, however I am pleased our team was able to assist.

I also note your mention of our lobby attendant Tessa, I have ensure your feedback has been shared with our team.