“Convenience with comfort and outstanding service”

Stamford Plaza Auckland
Ranked #14 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Convenience with comfort and outstanding service”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My 8th visit to this hotel lived up to all my expectations - from the welcoming smiles and warm efficient check-in procedures - all my prior personal details accurately recalled minimized the usual lengthy bureaucracy.
The rooms are more than simply comfortable - a king-size bed with just the right degree of softness in the mattress; spotlessly clean fluffy gowns; a decently sized flat screen TV with a remote control that worked perfectly and a spacious bathroom with separate toilet! Not much more to ask for!
The concierge, although young, was knowledgeable and able to provide answers to questions which he anticipated almost before being asked - well done Kelly!
The main restaurant remains consistently of a high standard - breakfasts to either be dealt with prior to a day's business or lingered over if one has the luxury of time.
My request for a hot pad to ease a sore back was met quickly and with no bother at all.
I shall return whenever I have to visit Auckland.

Room Tip: Request a room as high as possible - there are not really any rooms with sweeping water views - but...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Admir_Mullaaliu, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Brian B

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read your fantastic feedback, we have passed on your thanks to our Concierge Kelly and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

admirmullaaliu@spak.stamford.com.au

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Centrally located. very pleasant staff eager to help. Reasonable size room. I was initially given a room on level 5. I requested for a higher floor and I was transferred to level 10 without any fuss. The room had some water view as well. The only thing I did not like was the room service menu. But that can be just me being picky. I ordered a aloo mattar curry which sounded very authentic Indian but it was not and was served with jasmine rice. Apart from that all the staff including reception, porters and the travel desk were very helpful

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sanjeev G,

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read your fantastic feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Orange County
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I love this place. I was uncertain when I booked but did they ever win me over. First, the location is great. In downtown everything is very easy to walk to. The Harbor, the Skytower, shops and restaurants. The room was spacious with no real view. The hotel rooms are on floors 3-9. There are owner units above the 10th floor. You have to use your room key card to get anywhere. Three swipes to get into the room (elevator, hallway and room). It was kind of annoying but understandable.
As for the view, take your swimsuit and go to the indoor pool on the 10th floor. It is a great view and a very relaxing place. I went in mid morning and no one was there.
The service is fantastic. I left something in Rotorua and the concierge team of Nu and Adam got the items returned to Auckland at no charge. They were awesome.
I recommend this place and would book in again if I were in Auckland.

Room Tip: Odd Number rooms have a better view than even numbered rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear dlbintheoc,

Brisbane
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Nice hotel in great location and easy walking distance of everything Auckland has to offer - restaurants and cafes on the waterfront, Skytower, CBD, etc.

My booking was meant to have an upgrade, but that wasn't possible? Breakfast was included in my rate, but they didn't tell me where it was served or times etc at check in.

Free wifi in the foyer, but you have to get vouchers that last for 30 mins from reception.

Arrived at room on level 5, and overlooked the rooftop of the neighbouring building. Their rooftop was full of weeds and had litter through it all. Just didn't look nice. The TV had a one second delay of sound, so was annoying watching TV (nice new Samsung TV also). Just watched football with no sound for the two nights.

Bathroom and room itself was nice, clean and standard layout, but as many other reviews have mentioned, just looks and feels tired.

Buffet breakfast was good (if you have it included in a suitably priced rate). Chef will cook you eggs how you like, but no one tells you about this.

Had three billing issues with stay which is annoying. Had to explain it to reception staff on the Sunday and there were two trainees on (so they were trying to sort it out in front of me and took a while???) Was meant to have a $10 credit in the hotel for not getting room serviced and that didn't go on account. Was charged for breakfast (even though it was included in our rate) and also a coffee which I had to mention was incorrect billing????

Have stayed at Heritage Hotel and their rooms, service and breakfast are better, but location of Stamford is much better.

Not sure I would stay again as I walked out thinking it was just average. There was just no feeling of a five star experience which is what I was expecting.

Room Tip: Not sure if any rooms in this hotel would have a view of the Harbour.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Tat76,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.

We have taken your feedback on board as we always strive for improvement.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed at Stamford Plaza again due to its location where the Viaduct Basin is close but just far enough away to not get the noise.
Had a disappointing experience just after getting to our room when requiring a shower prior to going out to a function and finding that it was lukewarm at best and cold the rest of the time. I complained to the front desk when leaving for the function and was told that there was a problem and that the Duty Manager would get in contact with me.
When checking out next morning after breakfast I complained about the shower again and after a consultation the Receptionist offered the breakfast as complimentary. This was a very good response.
I appreciate that things do go wrong at times and it is the response that is important. This response was great albeit but should have happened without me having to initiate it.
Still a very good place to stay

Room Tip: Look out for the romantic packages as late checout and complimentary carpark are good add-ons
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Brian M

Thank you for your review and rating on TripAdvisor.

Sincere apologies to hear your request was not attended efficiently, I am pleased you received a great response however as you mentioned this should not have been prompted.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We made a telephone booking direct with the hotel four days prior to arrival and they beat the best internet offer for a Saturday night. On arrival we were greeted by a happy smiling doorman who had the car parked and our luggage waiting with an attendant ready by the lift who showed us to our room. This was the start of the high standards of service given by all the staff we encountered on our short stay, the waiters in the bar were efficient, breakfast plentiful, varied and of good quality. Check out was a breeze.

After touring the north island for two weeks we needed a restful day and night to replenish our batteries before heading to Sydney. The hotel is positioned close to all the amenities and attractions that Auckland has to offer. The room was very comfortable and had all the accessories you would expect from a hotel of this class. We had a great nights sleep in a lovely bed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JeanRoger1

Buenos Aires, Distrito Federal, Argentina
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My first trip to Auckland ever, stayed at the Stamford Plaza. Very good choice, the exact balance between cost and quality. Superb breakfast (one of the best I've ever had), great pool with scenic view on top floor. Big, clean, comfortable rooms. Met all my expectations! Recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo