“Surprised at bad reviews!”

Stamford Plaza Auckland
Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 February 2009

We stayed at the Stamford Plaza hotel after 3 weeks in a campervan, so please do take this review in perspective, ANYTHING would have seemed luxurious to us!

However, I must say that I am glad we didn't see the bad reviews before we booked at the Stamford Plaza. It might have put us off, and that would have been a shame.

Its fairly centrally located in Auckland, close to the ferry terminal (about a 5- 10 minutes), near restaurants and bars etc. Location wise, you cant go wrong. There is a food alley right opposite the hotel where we bought a lot of our meals for under NZ$10 - great!

We could not fault the service at all. Anytime we ordered extra towels, cutlery etc, it would be up in minutes.

The room was clean and spacious, the bathroom was pretty big.

The reason why we've given it four stars rather than 5, is probably because its a pretty standard 5 star chain hotel - you could have been anywhere in the world. And whether it is a 5 star hotel is a question mark really. It certainly wasn't 5 star luxury, but more like 5 star comfort.

The other downside about it was the pool, the one day we decided to don our swimmers and head up to the pool, it was pretty busy. The pool is tiny, and there were no towels to be seen, so we gave up after a few minutes and went back to our room.

I think some of the reviews are harsh, but I guess its all about expectations. We paid around US$75 a night, which I thought was a bargain, so I guess that's why we were surprised at how good everything was. In fact we extended our trip from 2 nights to 5 nights. I would definitely recommend the hotel

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Opalmoon
Admir_Mullaaliu, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review our property, it is through feedback that we can improve our product and services.

Admir Mullaaliu | Assistant General Manager | Stamford Plaza Auckland

Write a ReviewReviews (2,231)

Reviewed 11 January 2009

I stayed at the Stamford Auckland during my honeymoon for 2 days during the 2008 Christmas holidays. The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from the Fullers ferry terminal. The staff is very helpful and the rooms are very nice, clean, and comfortable. The hotel is located in the heart of Auckland and a short walk to shopping, restaurants, tourist sites, etc. I would highly recommend this hotel to tourists as well as business travelers.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Indian_Baldie
Admir_Mullaaliu, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review our property.

Reviewed 29 December 2008

We recently spent a night at the Stamford Plaza Auckland at the conclusion of a twelve night cruise. This is on outside appearance a nice hotel very centrally located in the heart of the city within easy walking distance to everything.

Very good Thai restaurant the Grasshopper is part of the hotel and is highly recommended. However the staff and customer relations are not. Breakfast availability on Christmas morning was changed without notice, when I protested the only advice was try somewhere else...on Christmas morning there is no somewhere else. I finally suggested that perhaps we could have room service breakfast and this was reluctantly agreed to. When I rang from the room I was again told "breakfast is off" but eventually was delivered and was very good. I had paid $172 for a late checkout on one of the rooms..we still got a notice under room door asking my 15year old why we hadn't checked out. When I pointed out we had a late check out, I was not believed and argued with until I showed it to them on the accommodation voucher we handed in on check in.

Generally the hotel is just OK, lots of stains on hall carpets, suspicious looking stains on bed coverings too. Rooms are pretty tired looking. Cannot recommend this hotel.

Probably the fact that a large cruise was checking in and out on the same day added to the chaos however it still was nowhere near the standard I expected.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank rugbypopsie
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assistant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback and whilst on this occasion we did not meet your expectations we hope to meet if not exceed your expectations in the future.

Reviewed 15 December 2008

We stayed at the hotel for one night in October. Check-in was friendly and prompt. However, when we got to our room, there was a corkboard in the hallway with advertisements for the hotel and other bits, which I thought was a bit tacky considering this was a "5 star". Our room got quite cold at night and for some reason the heat was not working well and all we had was a thin blanket. I called for a blanket and opened the door to a very grumpy women who thrust the "blanket" at me and walked away. The blanket was really a bed cover, which was quite thin and strange. I called about something else and they told me they would call back, but I never heard back from them. The thing I called for was proper disposal of needles, and no one bothered calling me back. Concierge had arranged a airport bus for us and told us the incorrect travel time for our flight, so we were a bit nervous about getting into check in at time. I am glad that we got this deal off of wotif b/c I would never pay the full asking price. There are better hotels in the auckland downtown area that I would rather go to.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dhooty

Reviewed 24 November 2008

First of all, in no way could it be a five-star hotel. It does not provide luxury, service or facilities of 5-star range hotel. But if you would consider staying in slightly overpriced centrally located 4-star hotel, then this is probably you best option in Auckland. The check-in and check-out were smooth and fast. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Gym and poll area are great. The main restaurant (Knights) is boring with one of the worst breakfast I ever tried. But Japanese restaurant is very entertaining with very talented Korean chef. The TV sets in the rooms most definitely have to be updated and the choice of the channels available has to be expanded. Location of the Hotel is absolutely perfect with the easy access to all downtown shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank kermadek

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review our property.

Reviewed 20 October 2008

We stayed for one night booking the Night on the Town package. This package included a bottle of sparkling, two red bulls, buffet breakfast, valet parking and a late check out of 1:00PM in a deluxe room. . Check in was great, lovely lady on reception allowing us to check in early and valet park the car.
So off we went to the wine tasting activity of the day. Upon return at 3:00 as soon as we arrived in our room, the fire alarm went off, down 10 floors via the stairs to find no one leaving the lobby and people remaining in the lounge. We thought that's okay, we'll sit in the nicely lite lobby lounge and have a refreshing beer with a cold meat and bread platter. We waited for about 30 minutes for the cold platter that was very average at best. With all the fresh meat, cheeses, and olives available to us in New Zealand I could have put together better from the local supermarket.
The room was a good size, with a large closet., lots of hanging space and a safe. The bathroom also of good size with a separate shower and one sink. However, the water pressure in the shower was mediocre at best. The toiletries were Aveda. The tv was small and had very bad reception. We did not notify anyone at the time, but did so when we checked out, as we knew TV watching was not a priority during our short stay. It was very easy to hear our neighbors slamming their doors and having a bit of a party in the next room at about 5:00 PM. The beds and pillows were very hard and not very comfortable. We did not take advantage of the breakfast in the morning as we choose to sleep in. Check out was very efficient, the bill correct, with the car waiting as we rang ahead. The location is good, with a short walk to the viaduct and over to Queen Street. This hotel was fine for our one night, the staff we dealt with pleasant and efficient, but I feel for just a little more money there are better hotels in Auckland city.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank avb13

Reviewed 26 September 2008

We booked the Stamford Plaza for 4 nights in November 2006 while myself and my fiancee where en route from Bali to Fiji. After a long flight we wanted to rest for a bit and after a smooth check in we where guided to our rooms.

After getting our heads down for about an hour we awoke to banging outside, I got up and drew the curtains to see workmen on the roof outside our window who where making a lot of noise and after a terrible 13 hour flight I was not going to entertain seeing the funny side of things.

I went down to the front desk to complain and asked if they could move us to a quieter area of the hotel which they did. Upon reaching our second bedroom we got our heads down again only to be woken up by a drill being used in the room next to ours. It appears that we where moved away from one set of construction and placed closer to other workmen and this time they where actually in the hotel with their drills and hammers

Again I went and complained to the front desk and expressed my dissatisfaction and was not really helped by the un-sympathetic manager who would not move us anywhere else but did offer us free brekfast for the duration of our stay.

After returning back to our room and managing to get a bit of rest we ventured out into the city for some food. This is where Auckland came to life. We found a number of Restaurants in the docks area and ate at a place called 'Wildfire' I would recomend this Brazillian Meat Fest as I had a great meal and a great night out.

The Hotel is actually in a great location close to the docks and the Sky Tower which has a casino and other entertainments. For the remainder of our stay we used the hotel as a base and rented a car to travel around in, driving in New Zealand is easy and there is plenty to drive and see, beaches, vineyards, wineries, amasing scenery.

I think that without the construction I would give this hotel a 3/5 it is nothing special but it is clean and in a good location. The main saving grace for the hotel during our stay was the concierge, they where excellent and nothing was too much trouble for them without them this review would have been a 1/5

I had a great time in Auckland and the surrounding areas however the hotel did not really play a part in this.

Auckland & New Zealand - YES