I stayed at the Stamford Plaza for five nights. On the second night I was awoken by tiny ants in my bed which were biting me. I killed those that I could see and went back to sleep. I was awoken by biting ants five times, and at 3.30 am in the morning I decided I had had enough and phoned the reception to be asked to be moved to another room. There was no answer, so I pulled on some clothes and went downstairs to reception. There was nobody there except a cleaner vacuuming the floor. When I asked where the front desk staff were, she just shrugged her shoulders. After five minutes, a desk clerk appeared and I asked him to move me to another room - which he did with no argument. He said as it was the middle of the night I could leave my things in my old room (room 506) and he gave me a key to a room on the 10th floor.
After I awoke later in the morning, I went down to room 506 to get my things, and discovered that the hotel staff had already been in the room and sprayed it with insecticide because the bed had been moved away from the wall and it smelled of insecticide. I was annoyed about this because I had left all my valuables next to the bed (wallet, camera, iPod, etc) as I was so sleepy when I moved rooms in the middle of the night I hadn't thought about taking them with me because I didn't expect the hotel staff to go into the room so early to spray it.
The rest of the stay was uneventful. I had no complaints about other aspects of the hotel, but I would have expected an apology from the management for my bed being invaded by ants - but none was forthcoming.
Also check your bill carefully on check-out. I booked a package which included Internet access and breakfast, but they charged me for the Internet and breakfast on two days (but they did reverse the charges without argument when I pointed out the error).
On a positive note, I should commend the hotel for their very helpful concierge (a tall balding Maori man). When I hired an Avis car for the weekend and returned to the hotel on the Sunday night asking where I could park it until the morning, he said to leave the keys with him and he would arrange to take it back to the Avis office for me in the morning. The hotel didn't charge for the overnight parking, so that was very good service. The concierge was also very helpful with directions to some of my business appointments on the weekdays.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- World-class luxury in the heart of the city, just minutes away from the harbour and viaduct. Please note that construction on the city rail link project is underway on Albert St. Stamford Plaza Auckland remains accessible to vehicles and pedestrians, all day, every day. Albert St remains open in both directions throughout the CRL upgrade. However it is limited to one way in each direction. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Stamford Plaza Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stamford Plaza Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Stamford Plaza Hotel Auckland
- Auckland Stamford Plaza Hotel
- Stamford Plaza Auckland New Zealand