Stamford Plaza Auckland
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel Grand Windsor(Auckland Central)
  • Free Internet
Shakespeare Tavern & Hotel(Auckland Central)
Good 3.5/5
Average 3/5
  • Pool
  • Fitness centre
View Hotel
Grand Mercure Auckland(Auckland Central)
  • Room Service
Hotel DeBrett(Auckland Central)
  • Breakfast included
M Social Auckland(Auckland Central)
  • Free Internet
Rydges Auckland(Auckland Central)
2,349 results
All reviewsseparate toiletalbert streetvalet parkingroad workshigh tealobby bardeluxe roombuffet breakfastroom servicegood sizesky towercentral locationwould stay againlate checkcomfy bedper dayqueen st
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I stayed at the Stamford Plaza for five nights. On the second night I was awoken by tiny ants in my bed which were biting me. I killed those that I could see and went back to sleep. I was awoken by biting ants five times, and at 3.30 am in the morning I decided I had had enough and phoned the reception to be asked to be moved to another room. There was no answer, so I pulled on some clothes and went downstairs to reception. There was nobody there except a cleaner vacuuming the floor. When I asked where the front desk staff were, she just shrugged her shoulders. After five minutes, a desk clerk appeared and I asked him to move me to another room - which he did with no argument. He said as it was the middle of the night I could leave my things in my old room (room 506) and he gave me a key to a room on the 10th floor.

After I awoke later in the morning, I went down to room 506 to get my things, and discovered that the hotel staff had already been in the room and sprayed it with insecticide because the bed had been moved away from the wall and it smelled of insecticide. I was annoyed about this because I had left all my valuables next to the bed (wallet, camera, iPod, etc) as I was so sleepy when I moved rooms in the middle of the night I hadn't thought about taking them with me because I didn't expect the hotel staff to go into the room so early to spray it.

The rest of the stay was uneventful. I had no complaints about other aspects of the hotel, but I would have expected an apology from the management for my bed being invaded by ants - but none was forthcoming.

Also check your bill carefully on check-out. I booked a package which included Internet access and breakfast, but they charged me for the Internet and breakfast on two days (but they did reverse the charges without argument when I pointed out the error).

On a positive note, I should commend the hotel for their very helpful concierge (a tall balding Maori man). When I hired an Avis car for the weekend and returned to the hotel on the Sunday night asking where I could park it until the morning, he said to leave the keys with him and he would arrange to take it back to the Avis office for me in the morning. The hotel didn't charge for the overnight parking, so that was very good service. The concierge was also very helpful with directions to some of my business appointments on the weekdays.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank DavidAstley
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assistant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback and whilst on this occasion we did not meet your expectations we hope to meet if not exceed your expectations in the future.

Reviewed 13 February 2009

Booked through last minute website, reasonable tariff.
No way is this five star, If they advertised as four star maybe people wouldn't be so grumpy. I thought it was value for money, though valet parking expensive.
Loved the pool and handy for a wander round town.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hinau

Reviewed 12 February 2009

We stayed at the Stamford Plaza hotel after 3 weeks in a campervan, so please do take this review in perspective, ANYTHING would have seemed luxurious to us!

However, I must say that I am glad we didn't see the bad reviews before we booked at the Stamford Plaza. It might have put us off, and that would have been a shame.

Its fairly centrally located in Auckland, close to the ferry terminal (about a 5- 10 minutes), near restaurants and bars etc. Location wise, you cant go wrong. There is a food alley right opposite the hotel where we bought a lot of our meals for under NZ$10 - great!

We could not fault the service at all. Anytime we ordered extra towels, cutlery etc, it would be up in minutes.

The room was clean and spacious, the bathroom was pretty big.

The reason why we've given it four stars rather than 5, is probably because its a pretty standard 5 star chain hotel - you could have been anywhere in the world. And whether it is a 5 star hotel is a question mark really. It certainly wasn't 5 star luxury, but more like 5 star comfort.

The other downside about it was the pool, the one day we decided to don our swimmers and head up to the pool, it was pretty busy. The pool is tiny, and there were no towels to be seen, so we gave up after a few minutes and went back to our room.

I think some of the reviews are harsh, but I guess its all about expectations. We paid around US$75 a night, which I thought was a bargain, so I guess that's why we were surprised at how good everything was. In fact we extended our trip from 2 nights to 5 nights. I would definitely recommend the hotel

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Opalmoon
Admir_Mullaaliu, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review our property, it is through feedback that we can improve our product and services.

Best regards,

Admir Mullaaliu | Assistant General Manager | Stamford Plaza Auckland

Reviewed 11 January 2009

I stayed at the Stamford Auckland during my honeymoon for 2 days during the 2008 Christmas holidays. The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from the Fullers ferry terminal. The staff is very helpful and the rooms are very nice, clean, and comfortable. The hotel is located in the heart of Auckland and a short walk to shopping, restaurants, tourist sites, etc. I would highly recommend this hotel to tourists as well as business travelers.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Indian_Baldie
Admir_Mullaaliu, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review our property.

Best regards,

Admir Mullaaliu | Assistant General Manager | Stamford Plaza Auckland

Reviewed 29 December 2008

We recently spent a night at the Stamford Plaza Auckland at the conclusion of a twelve night cruise. This is on outside appearance a nice hotel very centrally located in the heart of the city within easy walking distance to everything.

Very good Thai restaurant the Grasshopper is part of the hotel and is highly recommended. However the staff and customer relations are not. Breakfast availability on Christmas morning was changed without notice, when I protested the only advice was try somewhere else...on Christmas morning there is no somewhere else. I finally suggested that perhaps we could have room service breakfast and this was reluctantly agreed to. When I rang from the room I was again told "breakfast is off" but eventually was delivered and was very good. I had paid $172 for a late checkout on one of the rooms..we still got a notice under room door asking my 15year old why we hadn't checked out. When I pointed out we had a late check out, I was not believed and argued with until I showed it to them on the accommodation voucher we handed in on check in.

Generally the hotel is just OK, lots of stains on hall carpets, suspicious looking stains on bed coverings too. Rooms are pretty tired looking. Cannot recommend this hotel.

Probably the fact that a large cruise was checking in and out on the same day added to the chaos however it still was nowhere near the standard I expected.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family