“Perfect choice for a stay in Auckland... no matter what your plans may be” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stamford Plaza Auckland

Stamford Plaza Auckland
Ranked #14 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Perfect choice for a stay in Auckland... no matter what your plans may be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2009

I travelled to Auckland for just one night mid- March with a group of ten travel agents from all over the east coast of Australia. The hotel provided us with spectacular access to everything we needed to see in the short time that we were there. From the hotel we were able to easily walk to the harbour, Queen Street {main shopping district}, many souveneir shops, the casino and the Sky Tower. The hotel itself was stunning and modern, with extremely helpful staff, wonderful food an excellent vibe overall. This is one of the very few hotels that I have been to where the hotel has looked exactly the photographs on the website... maybe even better. As for the pricing.... excellent value for your money. Oh, and how could I forget the pool and fitness centre.... enormous!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Emily G
Admir_Mullaaliu, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review our property, it is through feedback that we can improve our product and services.

Admir Mullaaliu | Assistant General Manager | Stamford Plaza Auckland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2009

My husband and I were going to Auckland for the races and also to catch up with our son and his family. We thought that the five star mystery hotel option was rather exciting, so booked that. (We have had friends who have done similarly and have been ecstatic with the results). I was quite excited that the Stamford Plaza was our 'hotel' as I knew of its location and it did look rather nice from the outside.
Our room was quite basic and I would say the carpet had been renewed recently. As for the rest of the room - I would imagine the '70s would be correct. There was adequate storage, but the television (with very limited Sky channels) was out of the ark! I don't own one so old in my house - even though I have one in a bedroom which is over 20 years old! The picture quality was dismal.
We had a buffet breakfast in the morning. To be fair there was an excellent choice of dishes, but I was horrified when I chose a fruit bread to toast - and the girl beside me told me that it had mould growing from it! On closer inspection the whole basket of the fruit bread was alive! FIVE STAR????? I think not.
The front glass doors were extremely dirty the whole time we were there. I could go on forever. The Swimming Pool and Spa area was amazing. Top marks for that.
I have never written a review before, but I was so disappointed that I just had to.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Vivienne5
Admir_Mullaaliu, Assistant General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 6 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback and whilst on this occasion we did not meet your expectations we hope to meet if not exceed your expectations in the future.

Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2009

We booked this hotel as the mystery 5 star hotel on wotif, so couldnt check any reviews until too late!! the hotel is centrally located and easy walking distance to waterfront, ferries, viaduct and one street back from Queen Street. Check in was fine, room a good size but not what I would expect from a 5 star hotel. When we went to go to bed we discovered the bottom sheet was about 6 inches shorter than the mattress!! so we had to take the top sheet off and put that on the bottom, the sheet that had been on the bottom had a tiny rip and was looking like it should be thrown away as it was discoloured and worn. Walls are also thin and you can hear any noise from nearby rooms or the hallway. It was disappointing as we had booked this for our wedding anniversary and as it was described as 5 star by wotif that is what we were expecting. Like others said if it was advertised as 4 star you wouldnt feel as though you had been ripped off. Would choose to stay somewhere else in future (and not risk taking a mystery hotel!)

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kiwitravellers07

San Mateo, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2009

I stayed at the Stamford Plaza for five nights. On the second night I was awoken by tiny ants in my bed which were biting me. I killed those that I could see and went back to sleep. I was awoken by biting ants five times, and at 3.30 am in the morning I decided I had had enough and phoned the reception to be asked to be moved to another room. There was no answer, so I pulled on some clothes and went downstairs to reception. There was nobody there except a cleaner vacuuming the floor. When I asked where the front desk staff were, she just shrugged her shoulders. After five minutes, a desk clerk appeared and I asked him to move me to another room - which he did with no argument. He said as it was the middle of the night I could leave my things in my old room (room 506) and he gave me a key to a room on the 10th floor.

After I awoke later in the morning, I went down to room 506 to get my things, and discovered that the hotel staff had already been in the room and sprayed it with insecticide because the bed had been moved away from the wall and it smelled of insecticide. I was annoyed about this because I had left all my valuables next to the bed (wallet, camera, iPod, etc) as I was so sleepy when I moved rooms in the middle of the night I hadn't thought about taking them with me because I didn't expect the hotel staff to go into the room so early to spray it.

The rest of the stay was uneventful. I had no complaints about other aspects of the hotel, but I would have expected an apology from the management for my bed being invaded by ants - but none was forthcoming.

Also check your bill carefully on check-out. I booked a package which included Internet access and breakfast, but they charged me for the Internet and breakfast on two days (but they did reverse the charges without argument when I pointed out the error).

On a positive note, I should commend the hotel for their very helpful concierge (a tall balding Maori man). When I hired an Avis car for the weekend and returned to the hotel on the Sunday night asking where I could park it until the morning, he said to leave the keys with him and he would arrange to take it back to the Avis office for me in the morning. The hotel didn't charge for the overnight parking, so that was very good service. The concierge was also very helpful with directions to some of my business appointments on the weekdays.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank DavidAstley

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2009

Booked through last minute website, reasonable tariff.
No way is this five star, If they advertised as four star maybe people wouldn't be so grumpy. I thought it was value for money, though valet parking expensive.
Loved the pool and handy for a wander round town.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Windows
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hinau

Manchester, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2009

We stayed at the Stamford Plaza hotel after 3 weeks in a campervan, so please do take this review in perspective, ANYTHING would have seemed luxurious to us!

However, I must say that I am glad we didn't see the bad reviews before we booked at the Stamford Plaza. It might have put us off, and that would have been a shame.

Its fairly centrally located in Auckland, close to the ferry terminal (about a 5- 10 minutes), near restaurants and bars etc. Location wise, you cant go wrong. There is a food alley right opposite the hotel where we bought a lot of our meals for under NZ$10 - great!

We could not fault the service at all. Anytime we ordered extra towels, cutlery etc, it would be up in minutes.

The room was clean and spacious, the bathroom was pretty big.

The reason why we've given it four stars rather than 5, is probably because its a pretty standard 5 star chain hotel - you could have been anywhere in the world. And whether it is a 5 star hotel is a question mark really. It certainly wasn't 5 star luxury, but more like 5 star comfort.

The other downside about it was the pool, the one day we decided to don our swimmers and head up to the pool, it was pretty busy. The pool is tiny, and there were no towels to be seen, so we gave up after a few minutes and went back to our room.

I think some of the reviews are harsh, but I guess its all about expectations. We paid around US$75 a night, which I thought was a bargain, so I guess that's why we were surprised at how good everything was. In fact we extended our trip from 2 nights to 5 nights. I would definitely recommend the hotel

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Opalmoon

Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2009

I stayed at the Stamford Auckland during my honeymoon for 2 days during the 2008 Christmas holidays. The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from the Fullers ferry terminal. The staff is very helpful and the rooms are very nice, clean, and comfortable. The hotel is located in the heart of Auckland and a short walk to shopping, restaurants, tourist sites, etc. I would highly recommend this hotel to tourists as well as business travelers.

• Liked — Comfort, location, and value
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Indian_Baldie
Admir_Mullaaliu, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Auckland, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to review our property.