“Great value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Christchurch, NZ.
“Great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

We stayed 3 nights over rugby world cup time and Auckland was buzzing. The location of this hotel is great for walking to and from about the city and transport stations. We arrived at the hotel from the airport at 10.30am hoping to leave our bags for the day and return to check in to our room later in the afternoon but to our delight we were actually given our room at this early time. This was fantastic. The room was fine, the beds good, no street noise, but the guest in room above we actually heard piddling into the toilet bowl in the night and then loo flushing which was unpleasantly humorous as was the incredibly loud plumbing noises when showers were in use around 8am - so many hotels have this problem. All in all a good value but a typical city hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank CeeChChNZ
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges, responded to this review, 13 October 2011
Dear recent guest,
I am so pleased to read that we were able to accommodate you on your early arrival to the hotel, it is always a great feeling after a long flight to settle in to your room straight away and I am glad we were able to do this for you. You are right, Auckland is absolutely buzzing with rugby fever and the hotel is no exception. We have gotten ourselves right into the event with decorations, staff participation and many extra screens around so our guests can watch the action from our fantastic bar and restaurant. It is definitely a very exciting time to be in Auckland!
I do apologise for the noises you heard during the night, quite unpleasant I am sure.
But I am glad you enjoyed your stay and you found Rydges Auckland to be great value for money.
Warm regards,
Quenton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Hersonissos, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

I stayed here last December (sorry about the delay but I only just got around to it!). At the time is was billed as Rydges Harbourview, it seems like they have dropped the 'harbourview' these days which is a good idea because a lot of the rooms did not have it, and judging by the conversation at the desk as I was waiting to check in, if you want the harbourvies you have to pay extra!

The place is very bland and not very interesting more of a business hotel than a tourist one but it is very centrally located for getting around Auckland. I stayed there because I had to get the Transcenic train early and it is close to the station although I wouldn't recommend trying to walk there with suitcases.

The rooms looked like they had recently been refurbished with executive style glass table and chairs, better laid out than some hotels as there was a little foyer area inside the door with a nice cabinet with the kettle and so on, this makes a change from walking down a narrow passage between wardrobe and bathroom door that you get in most hotels.

The beds were enormous! Effectively two 'three-quarter' size singles, but nice and cosy if two of you want to sleep in one bed, very comfortable beds though.

Worse point was the bathroom....If they were refurbishing why not start with the bit that shows most signs of use? I might be a bit picky here but I run a small hotel myself and one thing I insist on is that when new guests arrive they should get the impression that they are the first people to ever have used the bathroom.

While the bathroom was obviously clean, we don't really want the drip marks on the taps etc. to prove it. Do they not have Jif or Cif in NZ? If they do then why not use it??

We all know that water leaves marks on chrome so do something about it and dry them off, Similarly the washbasin and bath both needed a good polish up!

Fortunately for the house keeping staff the night I stayed was a laundry night so armed with some ordinary washing powder I gave it a good scrub up while I was at it, probably the shiniest bathroom in the place the following morning!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Dear past guest,
Thank you for making the time to write your review for Rydges Auckland. As you pointed out we have dropped the “Harbourview” from our name since your last stay, this was mainly due to the responses we received on Tripadvisor by previous guests. While many rooms do in fact have fabulous harbour views, other rooms obviously faced a different way and had views of the Sky Tower or the city. We take every review extremely seriously and your comments on our bathrooms is no exception. This has resulted in Rydges Auckland investigating which rooms do in fact need a bathroom refurbishment and taking the necessary steps to getting these started. For this I thank you for bringing it to my attention.
I am glad you enjoyed the rest of your room with all its great amenities and excellent beds, you are right that they are extremely comfortable and very large.
The hotel is very centrally located so is very easy to get to and from stations, restaurants and attractions around the city.
I do hope we can welcome you back to the Rydges Auckland in the near future.
Best Wishes,
Adelaide
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

I recently stayed two nights at Rydges, Auckland. Being a Platinum Priority Guest I took advantage of what I thought would be a good deal and booked an Executive Suite and prepaid with my credit card. A few days prior to my stay I logged into the Rydges website and noted that the same room I'd prepaid $543 a night for was being advertised at a rack rate of $350 a night. Of course since I'd prepaid for the room I couldn't cancel the booking without losing my money. All very disappointing and it is my opinion that being a Platinum Priority Guest is a waste of time.

The room was clean and comfortable enough but traffic noise from the street 9 levels below was loud and the view of the apartment block across the road wasn't worth $543 a night.

Front desk staff were adequate but they don't go out of their way to make your stay a special one.

All in all the stay was a disappointing one and for $543 a night a better room could have been had at other CBD hotels.

This is my third stay at Rydges Auckland but next time through I'll be looking at other hotels.

Room Tip: Specify that you want a room with a harbour view when you check in.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MachikoAdelaide
Paso Robles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

We stayed at rushes for the first four nights of our RWC trip. Room was very comfortable and clean with a very nice view of the harbor. Staff was generally pleasant and helpful in getting us oriented in a new city. Room was smaller than the other hotel we stayed at in Auckland later in trip but was still adequate for two people. Only issue was the one day when we returned to hotel at 2:30pm or so and the room was not clean. Not a huge problem except for the snippy attitude at the front desk when we went down to ask what was going on. Still took almost an hour for housekeeping to show up.

Would definitely recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floor...it is in the cbd.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at Rydges Auckland. I am very pleased to read that our staff were able to help you get around the city during your stay for the Rugby World Cup.
I do apologise for the snippy attitude you received when inquiring about your room being serviced, this is definitely not the kind of service we at Rydges Auckland normally pride ourselves on and I am glad you have bought it to my attention.
I do hope you enjoyed your time in New Zealand for the Rugby and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Kind regards,
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

Stayed at Rydges as pre-coach tour accommodation. Room was nice, comfortable and had all we required. The front counter staff were friendly, helpful and welcoming. However the restaurant experience for breakfast spoilt the our first taste of New Zealand. We were basically waved through by the young man at the greet/pay desk to sit anywhere. A good morning would have been nice, or even a hello. We found a free table and waited for one of the two young ladies working the restaurant to notice us. We weren't advised anything about the buffet breakfast and so selected breakfast from the menu and asked for an orange juice each. The orange juices took 20 minutes to come out and we waited 45 minutes for our breakfast. It only arrived because I asked the waitress if it was coming soon and she said "Oh, Sorry" so I think she didn't take our order to the kitchen. An experience like that made us re-think eating here for dinner. It would have been nice for one of the staff to advise the buffet breakfast and its cost and inclusions. Once on the coach tour we returned to the Rydges, again for a night, which included breakfast, but this time it was pre-paid and we checked at the greet/pay desk what type of breakfast it was. We were simply told it was the help our selves. Trouble was that little pad of Get your morning started Coffee invited us to pass our order to one of the baristas, but didn't advise that the coffee was extra. The waitress collected the order from our table, not indicating there was an additional charge. We left the restaurant to re-commence our bus tour to have our coach driver hand us a bill for coffee. These little experiences may seem trivial to some, but they can set the days off to a bad start and made finding welcoming alternatives for other meals to STK restaurant our response to how we were treated.

Room Tip: As for a room where the ANZ tower light doesn't shine through the curtains.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges, responded to this review, 8 October 2011
Dear recent hotel guest,

Your time taken to write a very detailed review on your stay at Rydges Auckland is greatly appreciated, this is something that I genuinely value as its critical to know both the good and not so good in order to continue improving on what we offer currently and I'm determined to do this at Rydges Auckland.

Although the service you received when you arrived was positive, as I would have expected, it is disappointing for me to read that this did not follow through to the team we have in the restaurant. The acknowledgement and meet and greet of all our guest is a fundamental and vital aspect in the industry that we operate in and to hear that this did not take place when you came in for breakfast is unacceptable and I sincerely apologise for this.
Furthermore to hear that there was no explanation of the breakfast offerings is also not the level of service that we strive to achieve and to wait for a very extended period of time for an orange juice and your breakfast just should not happen. I also believe that what you have written about the order being forgotten is true.

The incident on your return visit identifies the need for more clarification from the hotel to our guests as far as how the processes work. I can completely understand your frustration with being present with a coffee bill when not advised that a charge would apply when the order was place.

The entire experience that you had in our restaurant has high-lighted the urgent need for further training and disciplines on ensure that our standards are maintained for all guests that enter the restaurant, again I sincerely apologise for this. I do hope that you overcome this experience and revisit Rydges Auckland on your next trip so that you can experience firsthand the improvements that have been made - which I'm committed to ensure happen.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

Room tastefully appointed and clean with a king size bed, small round table, comfy chair, desk for writing, fridge, mini bar, tea n’ coffee making, wardrobe, etc. Iron & board in wardrobe.

Bathroom on the small side but had EVERYTHING one could possibly need; nice toiletries, hair dryer, etc. Shower had two heads; one a rain shower from above and one normal unit coming from the side wall. This was great depending if I wanted to wash my hair or keep it dry.

Great location to EVERYTHING in Central Auckland. Only a couple of blocks walk down to the wharf area (could see the bay from our room). One block from Skytower and casino. Small café’s, coffee shops and restaurants (from Denny’s to specialist Thai, Turkey, Italian (etc) restaurants) all available just by walking around the same block or two.

The lobby has a nice, relaxing and comfy bar area for meeting up with friends or enjoying a quiet drink at day’s end.

All the reception and bar staff were lovely; professional but with a friendly ease.

We caught the shuttle from the airport which took about 30 to 40 mins from memory (at night) and cost depends on how many of you are going to the same hotel (the more, the cheaper). It was certainly cheaper than if we took a taxi.

Buses nearby and taxi’s easily available.

Queen Street only a couple of blocks away; as is the Imax and huge cinema complex. Queen Street shopping wasn't as great as I'd imagined but some great little cafe's, wine bars in and around the area.

Paid ~ $100AUD all up inc tax (no breakfast) and very happy with the price for what we received.

We were part of a larger group that went over for a birthday in Auckland so all up we took 5 rooms at Rydges and everyone was happy with their rooms and EVERY person would stay at this hotel again for cleanliness, comfort and convenience/proximity to things like the Skytower and the Wharf area. One of the rooms was slightly smaller than the other 4 but was still had the same amenities, etc.

Hubby and myself will DEFINITELY stay here again when in Auckland next; normally I 'shop around' and like to try somewhere else but this was a gem for the price.

A side tip: we first joined 'Rydges' on their website which gave us an automatic discount off our first stay (including off their specials prices) and a couple of other minor things; this worked out the cheapest price (even after the discounter sites, etc).

Room Tip: All rooms we saw (5 all up) were good.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank wishtago...
Dear recent guest,

I am so pleased to read you and your group had a wonderful experience on your birthday trip to Auckland and that Rydges hotel could help make your visit a spectacular one.

Everything you pointed out is what the staff at the hotel strive for and are very proud of; clean rooms with many amenities, fantastic friendly staff, a great reception and bar area for all guests to utilise; and of course not to mention our great location!

You mention in your tip that you received great discounts when you joined our Rydges Priority Guest program, we hope that on your next visit you can utilise this even further by dining in our fantastic STK Restaurant to get 20% off all food and beverage for lunch and dinner.

I am so glad that you and your husband will come and stay with us again and I look forward to trying to make that stay even more impressive.
With kind regards,
Upwey, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

We stayed here for one night before starting a tour , the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was a good size and the beds were comfortable with no street noise and it was close to everything . On the next corner was the Sky Tower. The breakfast was fantastic. I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank VanJ123
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges, responded to this review, 3 October 2011
Dear guest,
Thank you for your great review on your most recent stay with us at Rydges Auckland. You touched on many of the attributes we at the hotel are most proud of. The staff take great pride in offering all our guests a great welcome and clean modern rooms to enjoy. You are correct in saying the hotel is in a great location as we are very close to some great Auckland attractions like the Sky Tower and the Viaduct Harbour.
I do hope we can welcome you back to both New Zealand and Rydges Auckland again soon.
Kind regards,