The best thing about this Rydges in Central Auckland is its location. It's approximately two blocks away from the SkyTower and thus a great place to be based during an Auckland visit, especially for first-timers. This area is central to not only the SkyTower and its adventures (SkyWalk / SkyJump) but other good restaurants and bars (some of which are frequented by some of Auckland's glitterati.) There is also a small market for fresh fruits, dry goods and booze - useful if you want to avoid hefty mini-bar charges.
The rooms are nothing to shout home about (nor are the views). The rooms are clean and simple, but... my one source of discontent: the bathrooms. They definitely need to be updated -- and for crying out loud -- RYDGES MANAGEMENT -- GET RID OF SHOWER CURTAINS!!! No one wants to be touched by a shower curtain that has been touching millions of other people before. The curtains were clean, but they were billowy (having no weights to hold them against the side of the tub) so they're prone to connecting with the body inside the tub. Personally, I find this most uncomfortable. So, yes, but the bathrooms could use a bit of attention for that, and also to not feel so... high school gym-ish. They felt very cold and impersonal which lends it closer to 2 star than swish 4 star establishment.
The hotel has a fun atmosphere. The lobby is colorful with a swanky retro-minimal-modern bar and restaurant which is a nice place to entertain with a drink or two before going out. There are also two Macs for guests to use for internet (bear in mind that you have to pay to use these), but there was never a line for them when I was there. Reception staff was really nice and helpful.
I found the staff that I encountered to be incredibly nice from the Reception Desk to Housekeeping, Room Service and Bar staff.
Overall it's a good, affordable choice in the Central District.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Accommodation and Breakfast packages available; Long stay Accommodation prices available; Modern furnishings and fittings; Complimentary Newspapers;100% Non smoking; For genuine caring hospitality and service please contact Rydges Auckland. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, LateRooms, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Rydges Auckland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Auckland Hotel Auckland Central
- Rydges Hotel Auckland
- Auckland Rydges Hotel
- Rydges Auckland New Zealand