“Fantastic Location”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 19 December 2011

The best thing about this Rydges in Central Auckland is its location. It's approximately two blocks away from the SkyTower and thus a great place to be based during an Auckland visit, especially for first-timers. This area is central to not only the SkyTower and its adventures (SkyWalk / SkyJump) but other good restaurants and bars (some of which are frequented by some of Auckland's glitterati.) There is also a small market for fresh fruits, dry goods and booze - useful if you want to avoid hefty mini-bar charges.

The rooms are nothing to shout home about (nor are the views). The rooms are clean and simple, but... my one source of discontent: the bathrooms. They definitely need to be updated -- and for crying out loud -- RYDGES MANAGEMENT -- GET RID OF SHOWER CURTAINS!!! No one wants to be touched by a shower curtain that has been touching millions of other people before. The curtains were clean, but they were billowy (having no weights to hold them against the side of the tub) so they're prone to connecting with the body inside the tub. Personally, I find this most uncomfortable. So, yes, but the bathrooms could use a bit of attention for that, and also to not feel so... high school gym-ish. They felt very cold and impersonal which lends it closer to 2 star than swish 4 star establishment.

The hotel has a fun atmosphere. The lobby is colorful with a swanky retro-minimal-modern bar and restaurant which is a nice place to entertain with a drink or two before going out. There are also two Macs for guests to use for internet (bear in mind that you have to pay to use these), but there was never a line for them when I was there. Reception staff was really nice and helpful.

I found the staff that I encountered to be incredibly nice from the Reception Desk to Housekeeping, Room Service and Bar staff.

Overall it's a good, affordable choice in the Central District.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank TexasFjord
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2012

Hi there,

Yes, you are absolutely right about the shower curtains. This issue has been in discussion for some time and is now under review to have the bathrooms updated and the curtains removed. So I thank you so much for your very timely comments.

I do hope you were adventurous enough to take the SkyJump during your stay, I have heard it is amazing, I really must take the plunge myself one day soon too!

Thank you for your wonderful comments on our STK Restaurant, the lobby and of course our fantastic staff, we really are proud of what we have here at Rydges Auckland so it pleases me to read that you were able to enjoy all that we have to offer.

With kind regards,
Quenton

Write a ReviewReviews (2,226)

Reviewed 17 December 2011

We stayed in the Rydges Auckland in Nov2011. The hotel is right next to the Auckland Sky tower and about a 10 minute walk from the harbour area where one could find all the major pubs and restaurants.
For a tourist the location was perfect as most of the activities to be done in Auckland is around this area including ferries to other islands.

The rooms were reasonably spaced out and we got a good offer (corporate discount) as well. The people at the reception were very friendly as well and they helped us considerably in planning our 2 days in Auckland. There are super markets, car rental companies close by as well for the convenience of tourists

Room Tip: We had the basic room which itself was pretty decent. anything above would be better
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Navneetbhaiya
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2012

Dear trevelling guest,

I am so pleased to read that we were able to help you out considerably in planning your two day visit to Auckland. I hope you were able to see and do as much as you could in your two days to truly experience what Auckland has to offer, my favourite would be to catch the ferry over to Waiheke island as it is so beautiful over there with so much to do; if you didn’t make it there this trip make sure to put it in your planner for next time.
Thank you for your review on Rydges Auckland it is so very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 December 2011

we have been staying in Rydges Hotel quite often, and it is always a pleasure. The staff is very helpful and friendly, and the rooms are modern and spotless. All amenities are there, bathrobes and good toiletteries, and good quality towels.
The location is great, so close to Queen St. and Sky City. We always like it there, and sometimes you are lucky enough to get a room with a beautyful harbour view.

Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review on Rydges Auckland, it is always great to read about our returning guests continually enjoying all the services and amenities we have to offer.
I do hope the next time you stay with us we can exceed your expectations once again.
With kindest regards,

Reviewed 14 December 2011

We stayed 1 night, staff were very quick to unload our bags and hold them for us while we parked our car, were nice and friendly on check out the following day to. We had 2 nice clean rooms (king and a dble queen), they are not overly large - normal for auckland city, but suffient for a 1 night stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Rydges Auckland, it is very much appreciated. I am pleased you found the hotel to be perfect for your needs during your one night stay and that you found the staff to be very friendly and efficient.
I hope you decided to come and stay with us again soon.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 14 December 2011

stayed at Rydges for Coca cola christmas in the park and was a good experience, hotel room was very nice beds were extremely comfortable. Pushed me to become a priority member will def use again

Dear past guest,
I do hope you had a wonderful experience at Christmas in the Park while you were in Auckland, it was a very lovely evening in the city. I am glad you found the room and the bed extremely comfortable and that you decided to become a Rydges Priority Guest, this will give you great discounts on room rates when you book on the Rydges website and of course the great food and beverage discounts at any Rydges hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon to start using Prioirty card discounts.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 December 2011

This is my second stay at this hotel. This time we stayed for 7 nights in their harbor deluxe room. There's no difference between deluxe and superior room decor, other than the view. Last year we got a view of people's apartment when we stayed in their superior room. This time our room is on the 9th floor and has an excellent view of the harbor. The room itself is on the small side but it's clean and comes with small refrigerator, electric kettle for your instant coffee and tea. There's a safe deposit box in the closet. Wish they placed more hangers in the closet. A/C is quiet and beds are pretty comfortable. Good shower pressure, good desk to do a little work, flat screen TV, free wi-fi in the lobby (need to ask for password which I like for security) and friendly staff. Location is the main reason we came back to this hotel. A 5 minute walk to Sky tower and 10 minute walk to Auckland Harbor. It is not a luxurious hotel but it's clean and nicely refurbished. We've stayed at the Pullman (formerly the Hyatt) a couple of times before, even though the rooms were nicer (a bit dated) but it's up hill. For location, this hotel is better. If we could stay in this hotel without any complaints for a total of almost 3 weeks (last year and this year combined), how bad can this hotel be? This is a very good hotel in CBD.

1  Thank World Passport

Welcome back past guest,
I am so glad you chose to stay with us again after your stay last year and that again we did not disappoint. Thank you so much for your very informative review on Rydges Auckland, it is very much appreciated as this is a great way of letting other travellers know what to expect when they visit Auckland and other places around the world.
The location of the hotel is indeed very fantastic and so close to many of the attractions people come to Auckland to see and do so I am glad you have found a base for this in our hotel.
I hope your next trip to Auckland isn’t too far away and I look forward to welcoming your back to Rydges.
With kind regards,

Reviewed 10 December 2011

We were in Auckland for the Rugby World Cup and had an excellent stay at this hotel for the first few nights in New Zealand. It was in a great location in the CBD. Our room was quiet with an excellent view of the harbor as the description "Harbor view" promised. The room was a little small but efficient use of space. We had breakfast in the lobby one morning but ordered from the menu instead of the big buffet. Breakfast was great, espressos adequate. People at the door and front desk were friendly and always greeted us. We flew in on an international flight arriving at 6:30 in the morning and had to reserve the night before so that we could get in our room before 3:00 pm check in to recover from the sleepless flight, they were ready with our room and had a quick check-in and we were in our room. My only complaint is a problem with almost all hotels, if you are in the room in the morning not intending to leave quickly, housekeeping is at your door but if you leave the hotel early, are gone for awhile(hours) and come back and the room is not made up that drives me nuts! This happened one day at this hotel, came back at 1:30 in the afternoon and the room was not made up yet, had to call and then sit there in the room while they cleaned the room. After that it was never a problem the other days we were there. I would definitely stay there again when we return to Auckland again, it has the feeling of a boutique hotel and the location was great.

Room Tip: Definitely spring for the Harbor View room!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,
Thank you so very much for your warm review on your stay at Rydges Auckland over the RWC, I hope you were able to recover well from your long overseas flight and enjoy all that Auckland has to offer. The Rugby was such a fun and exciting time for the hotel but also for the whole country so I do hope you had a truly exceptional experience.
I do apologise for the housekeeping discrepancy on your first day in Auckland, but I am glad to read it was no longer an issue for the rest of your stay.
Thank you again for your review, it is very much appreciated.
With kindest regards,