“Excellent location”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #12 of 67 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Wetayed in the Rydges, Auckland during the World Cup.
The room was adequately sized and clean.
The breakfast buffet defied you to want something that wasn't there; there was everything. The staff were always helpful even if the breakfast staff were a little too keen to swoop away your empties.
The hotel is 2 minutes stroll from the Skytower (we could watch people doing the decent from our top floor room), 7 minutes stroll from the harbour and bus centre. City tour buses depart from the Skytower every 20 minutes. On the street behind the hotel there are italian, indian and cafe restaurants so you don't have to go far for a meal.
We didn't eat in the hotel so can only comment that it was more expensive than the Skytower revolving restaurant!
The hotel certainly made our stay an enjoyable one.

Room Tip: We had room 1414 on the top corner of the building. It was quiet and had good views (we refused an u...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2012

Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Rydges Auckland, I do hope you had a wonderful time while in New Zealand for the World Cup and you were able to join in all the fantastic festivities around town.
The view of the Skytower really is a spectacular one, especially when you get to witness the brave souls plunging from the top of it! I hope you were able to experience it for yourself, it is definatley on my to do list.
I do hope you choose to visit Auckland again soon as we would love to welcome you back.

With kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Rydges Auckland

Reviewed 1 January 2012

We stayed there for New Years Eve as its location is so closed to Sky City. We wanted to view the firework at night. Staff is friendly. Room is nice and it seems to be bigger than those usual business hotel. They just finished renovated certain levels. I stayed in Level 6 and the room looks modern and posh. The bed is comfy and the best part is the location is terrific. Nothing to complain about..... Nice stay overall.... My son really enjoyed this stay. The best part is... I got a special deal price and it is allowed to use on New Years Eve...

Room Tip: Ask them for rooms on higher level.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank BabyKangaroo

Hi there,

I am so pleased to read you had a great experience during your stay at Rydges Auckland over New Years Eve and you were not disappointed. I do hope you were able to enjoy the fireworks from the Skytower at midnight, even though the weather was slightly overcast I thought this gave it quite a special look.
Keep an eye out for those special deals as we would love to welcome you back again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 December 2011

We spent 3 nights at the Rydges in Auckland and we were very pleased! For only 70 US$/night we had a great, modern and luxurious room. Of course this was an internet-deal, the concierge told me that this room normaly costs more than 200US$ per night. So we got lucky... :-)
What we liked:
- big, clean, luxurious room
- very nice bathroom
- great bed (with about 8 pillows)
- nice and friendly staff
- free internet (in New Zealand that's not very common)
- very good location, right by the sky tower

What we didn't like:
- the view from the room could be better
- the food from the roomservice is okay, but not more.

Summary: We were verypleased and would love to come back one day...!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Albert W
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Stayed here on two separate nights as part of coach tour. Hotel well positioned in city - close to amenities and Sky Tower. Recently undergone renovations it seems. Was greeted with lots of noise from bar, ok it was a party but think that area should be behind glass doors as is the case in other busy hotels. Good reception staff. Food and waiting staff excellent. Room was clean, tidy and adequate - bigger on second visit. I did not find the comfort of the beds anything special. It is a good business hotel in my view.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan E
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2012

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Rydges Auckland. You are absolutely correct that the hotel is very well positioned in the city and I do hope you were able to take advantage of this and do as much as you could around town on your two separate nights.
The food and staff in our STK Restaurant really are fabulous so I thank you for commenting on this and I am so pleased that you thought them excellent as well.
Again you are correct that Rydges Auckland is a great business hotel as it is so centrally located in the business district and has all the amenities both a travelling guest and business guest could need.

Thank you again for your review; it really is very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Reviewed 20 December 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night in mid December. We did not pay for the room as we are Rydges Priority Club members and redeemed a free night so I can't comment on value for money. The hotel is very centrally located, only a short walk to the Sky Tower. The room was small. After staying at around 8 different Rydges hotels in Australia, New Zealand and London, we have come to find that a hallmark of a Rydges hotel room is that some features have been updated and others not. For example, there was a modern bed and flat screen TV on the wall. The bathroom, on the other hand, was tiny and very dated, badly needing a facelift. I found the bed very hard and slept poorly. Overall, the hotel was comfortable but I was glad to only spend
one night there.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rldot1

Hi,

I am so pleased to read that you have stayed and enjoyed so many of the great hotels that Rydges Hotels and Resorts have to offer and you were not disappointed with Rydges Auckland’s fantastic location. I do hope you were able to take advantage of this and see and do as much as you could on your overnight stay with us.

I thank you for your comments and I am so pleased to say that the very dated bathrooms you mentioned are right now under review to be getting their much needed facelift. So I am glad you mentioned this in your review and that I can honestly say we take these comments very seriously.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 20 December 2011

Check in was swift, but got to my room and the bathroom was dirty.. taps needed polishing and there was a large hair on the bathtub. Glasses were also filthy. Room was a bit dated, but comfortable. Check-out was horrible - the person I was travelling with spoke to a duty manager in the morning to organise chargeback and to ensure I would have nothing to pay when I checked out.. I went to drop my key off and was told i had $400 outstanding on my bill! Not very good considering we are very regular guests. I was also told I could not have a hot chocolate when I was in the bar/restaurant at 10.30pm at night. Very odd considering the number of tea/coffee facilities in the area..

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 December 2011

The best thing about this Rydges in Central Auckland is its location. It's approximately two blocks away from the SkyTower and thus a great place to be based during an Auckland visit, especially for first-timers. This area is central to not only the SkyTower and its adventures (SkyWalk / SkyJump) but other good restaurants and bars (some of which are frequented by some of Auckland's glitterati.) There is also a small market for fresh fruits, dry goods and booze - useful if you want to avoid hefty mini-bar charges.

The rooms are nothing to shout home about (nor are the views). The rooms are clean and simple, but... my one source of discontent: the bathrooms. They definitely need to be updated -- and for crying out loud -- RYDGES MANAGEMENT -- GET RID OF SHOWER CURTAINS!!! No one wants to be touched by a shower curtain that has been touching millions of other people before. The curtains were clean, but they were billowy (having no weights to hold them against the side of the tub) so they're prone to connecting with the body inside the tub. Personally, I find this most uncomfortable. So, yes, but the bathrooms could use a bit of attention for that, and also to not feel so... high school gym-ish. They felt very cold and impersonal which lends it closer to 2 star than swish 4 star establishment.

The hotel has a fun atmosphere. The lobby is colorful with a swanky retro-minimal-modern bar and restaurant which is a nice place to entertain with a drink or two before going out. There are also two Macs for guests to use for internet (bear in mind that you have to pay to use these), but there was never a line for them when I was there. Reception staff was really nice and helpful.

I found the staff that I encountered to be incredibly nice from the Reception Desk to Housekeeping, Room Service and Bar staff.

Overall it's a good, affordable choice in the Central District.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank TexasFjord

Hi there,

Yes, you are absolutely right about the shower curtains. This issue has been in discussion for some time and is now under review to have the bathrooms updated and the curtains removed. So I thank you so much for your very timely comments.

I do hope you were adventurous enough to take the SkyJump during your stay, I have heard it is amazing, I really must take the plunge myself one day soon too!

Thank you for your wonderful comments on our STK Restaurant, the lobby and of course our fantastic staff, we really are proud of what we have here at Rydges Auckland so it pleases me to read that you were able to enjoy all that we have to offer.

With kind regards,