“Working Week” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 68 Hotels in Auckland
Brisbane
“Working Week”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I spent the week at Rydges Auckland for work, it is situated on a small back street, one back from the main road. The work office was a nice stroll down the hill however it was quite a stroll up hill on the way back. Rydges is a short walk to the viaducts restaurants and to the main shopping street (Queen Street). As I was there for work I didn't really go out for the evenings however strolled down to Skycity for breakfast one morning which only took about 5 mins. Also noted the buses ran up and down the main street which was a 2 min stroll. Getting a taxi from the air port can be quite costly (about $78 dollars) so I would suggest looking at other means of transport. I liked the fact that you could choose to have your room serviced daily or every other day.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review on your week long stay with us at Rydges Auckland. I hope you had a very comfortable stay with us and was able to see a little of the city while in town.
You are correct about some taxi fares to and from the airport and it does pay to check all the options available.
Thank you again and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.
Kind regards,

Quenton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

We chose a wothotel from Wotif, and landed in the Rydges. As our rate was NZD97, the room was ok, not easy not to bump into the other due to small rooms. What was disturbing though were things like dark finger prints everywhere you touch often, eg door knobs, around light switches, etc. I guess in a 4.5 star this kind of really obvious marks should be cleaned too. Additionally, you understand every word which is spoken in the corridor. As we especially asked for a quiet room upon reservation and checkin, this was a bit surprising. We stayed normally in the Rendezvous which is about 500m South, and we had a far better experience in every aspect of our stay - and their standard rates are even cheaper than the one of Rydges.

• Stayed April 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your review on Rydges Auckland, it is very much appreciated and not taken lightly. Your comments regarding the fingerprints have been discussed with the appropriate department as you are right; these would be very obvious marks and should not be missed.
I do hope you had a great night in the city and we can welcome you back soon.
Kindest regards,

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed in one bedroom suite with family as could not find interconnecting rooms for a reasonable price at any hotel in Auckland. Staff were extremely helpful and accommodating, allowed us to put two roll away beds in the lounge part of the suite.

Room decor was not as comfortable as is could be, bit too office like for my taste.

Bed was comfortable. very clean rooms. Good location. Breakfast was expensive and nothing special.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Hi,

Thank you so much for your review on your stay with us at Rydges Auckland. I hope you and your family had a great time while visiting the city and I hope we will see you all back again soon.
Best regards,

Invercargill, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Got a great deal off wotif.co.nz so great room rate. Looked out on SkyTower out our room window. Room lovely and clean, everything we needed for girls shopping trip. Nice and central. Caught link buses round the corner. Viaduct restaurants and bars a short stroll away, as is Queen Street and shops. Would definitely stay here again if get more good rates like this was. Didn't eat at the restaurant. Staff pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: We stayed twice, on 7th floor and 13th, both great rooms with SkyTower views. Great to help you fin...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank GTG2
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review on your stay with us at Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased we had everything you needed for a great girls shopping trip in the city.
The location really is great for shopping in and around Auckland and of course so close to the Skytower and Viadust harbour.
I hope you don’t leave it too long to have another great girls shopping trip in town as we would love to welcome you back soon.
Warm regards,

Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed here on our final night in Auckland before flying home to Sydney. Our flight was at 9am the next day. I asked at the desk how early we would need to get to the airport when I was trying to book a shuttle (not wanting to make the taxi mistake again -- it cost $NZ80 to get into town when we arrived!). The guy said four hours. Four hours? For a flight Sydney? You must be kidding. He told me that was just the way it was for international flights out of Auckland. So that meant we would need to get up no later than 4am, allowing for the shuttle picking up at other hotels, so we could arrive at the airport at 5am.

I tried to find something about this on the Air NZ website but could not. So I rang the airline. The Air New Zealand lady on the phone told me that two hours "would be more than sufficient" and that she didn't know why the Rydges person would say four hours. As nice as Auckland Airport is (and it is nice), no one wants to spend two unnecessary hours there at the crack of dawn. Rydges should not be misleading their guests in this way. Of course, even getting there at 6am was too early.

As for the room, it was perfectly nice with a comfortable bed. But when I ordered a bucket of ice, there was no scoop provided so we had to use a coffee mug. Then we discovered there were no tumblers in the cabinet, only huge delicate wineglasses. Naturally, though, there all sorts of mixed-drink items in the minibar! All the surfaces were covered in glass but there were no coasters to catch the condensation. Out came the tissues.

The in-room manual said there was no free WiFi in rooms but it actually worked, if slowly.
The flush button for the toilet was very hard to push in. An elderly person or someone with arthritis would have had trouble. When you are paying this kind of money, the little things really do matter, I'm afraid. We won't be back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review on your stay with us at Ryges Auckland – I would firstly like to apologise for being told to get to the airport 4 hours early, the staff and concierge are very well informed of the times it takes to get to and from the airport and how long to be there for both international and national flights – although not all international flights and carriers have the same check in rules.
I am pleased you found the room nice and the bed comfortable.
I am also pleased you mentioned the flush button for the toilet, this has been mentioned previously by past guests and we have listened, after months of designing we have finally started renovations on the bathrooms in the hotel, this includes total overhaul of the showers and baths and of course replacing the toilet flusher for the reasons you mentioned. So thank you and the past guests for these comments.
I do hope you will decided to visit us again very soon.
Best wishes,

Highworth UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

This hotel is right in the centre of Wellington. Beware it cost $25 per night to park our car. A very well appointed but soul-less hotel. Close to shops and waterfront. Did not eat in hotel.A great little cafe next door where we had a superb breakfast at reasonable price. Apparently a lot of guests at Rydges opt for this breakfast venue rather than be ripped off in hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for harbour view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I was at the Rydges as part of a conference booking. Location wise the hotel is quite central in downtown Auckland, with the Sky City Casino, restaurants and shops all within a leisurely walk from the hotel lobby.

On the downside, I was disappointed with the quality of the overall experience for the price paid. Rooms are furnished with basic (cheap) furniture and the bathroom looks/feels cheap. The rooms are noisy at times with thin walls. My room overlooked an adjacent apartment block (which was very close, and looked very impersonal) meaning that opening my curtains made it feel like I was being watched by dozens of student neighbours.

The hotel internet is both expensive (although included in my room rate) and unreliable. Wifi would drop out frequently, probably due to poor network design and overlapping signals from the nearby student/budget apartments. I could not do Skype calls with the internet.

Breakfast was also disappointing. Coffees are good in the lobby coffee shop though - so that's a good way to kick start your morning.

Many maintenance issues in the hotel. The worst was the elevator door on my floor - every time it opened there was a terrible screetch that would wake you every time someone used that lift. It was reported to the hotel but not fixed over my 4 nights in the hotel. I had to move room.

All up, it was an OK stay but I was looking forward to leaving.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hello there,

Thank you so much for writing your review on your stay with us at Rydges Auckland, all reviews are taken very seriously and this is a great way to find out any of our guests concerns.
I am so pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel and of course the wonderful coffees from the Barist’a on the Corner Cafe in the hotel lobby, it really is a great way to start the day, especially now it’s getting so much colder.
I would also like to thank you for commenting on the issues you experienced while staying with us, including the internet and squeaking lift doors as we can look into these as soon as possible.
I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.
Kind regards,