“Great hotel and location”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #11 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Stayed here as part of the Kirra Tour and would definitely stay here again! The location was absolutely brilliant, being only a block from the skytower/skycity casino, 5 minute walk to the harbours and only a couple of streets from the main shopping street of Queen Street. Friendly welcome and check in. The concierge was absolutely brilliant.

First room: Room 425. Amazing deluxe room. Had a corner room which gave me two different views - one of the street and the other was of the tower! Luxury room with excellent facilites, very clean flat screen TV and lovely bathroom. Dinner on this night was Chicken pate, lamb and a cheesecake brownie - all extremely nice!!

Second room: Room 711. Stayed at this hotel on my own after the end of tour and again wasn't disappointed. Was upgraded to a deluxe harbour view room!! Amazing view of the harbour and the auckland bridge!!! Luxury facilities, large room with flat screen TV, clean and lovely bathroom.

Polite and efficient staff in every part of the hotel including the cleaning staff (excellent and prompt service by all).

Would definitely stay here again when I am next in Auckland. LOVED IT. Best hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank adelgirl70
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Hi there,

Wow, thank you for a great review on Rydges Auckland. I am so pleased you found your first stay with us so great you ended your tour with us again too.
It is also great you got to experience two very different but two very great views from your stays; the Skytower really is great to see, especially lit up at night (and watching the people free falling from the top – eek) and then the Harbour with the bridge at sunset is magnificent.
I do hope the next time you are in New Zealand you come and see us again as we would love to have you back.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

Excellent Hotel, very clean and tidy with great staff- helpful and obliging. So close to everything in the CBD IE Casino. Would recommend to all whom are looking for a value plus accomodation in Auckland CBD

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your great review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you found us to be clean with great staff and so close to everything. We do strive for the best staff in town so I am pleased that on this occasion we did not disappoint.
I do hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland again very soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed 23 August 2012

The Rydges in Auckland was a really great value. The hotel staff is very friendly, the rooms are nice and clean, and the gym is very well equipped. The location is good and the internet is free. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, it sounds like you had a great time while staying with us and I am so pleased you enjoyed your room and of course our great little gym on level 3.
I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.
Regards,

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Lovely check-in service, polite and efficient staff. We had to wait a little bit for the room, but we got a free coffee in the morning at the "Barista" cafe. Nice touch!
Comfortable room and fantastic food from the in-house restaurant!
The only downside is the expensive parking and the extra 2% Credit card fee put onto the customers.

1  Thank Dorka77

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland. I do apologise you had to wait for your room upon check in but I am so pleased you were able to enjoy a fantastic coffee from our Barist’a on the Corner to get your morning coffee fix the next day.
I do hope you had a fantastic weekend in town and I hope we can welcome you back for another very soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

For us it is a good location in central Auckland, but it is down a dark back street so lone females may not feel comfortable walking back in darkness.

If you can get a room at a reasonable rate then it is very good for the location.

Bar is OK, if not too many people when it can be slow service and no seating.

Not tried the restaurant for lunch/dinner.

Breakfast is good if inclusive - expensive otherwise.

Check-out can be slow. They seem to have a very complex computer system.

Overall very good if you get a good price on the room and as many extra included as possible.

Hello,

Thank you so much for your review on Rygdes Auckland, I am so pleased you found the location of the hotel very good for your needs in town.
I look forward to welcoming your back to Rydges Auckland again very soon.
Regards,

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed Rydges for 7 nights from 13/8. Room was a harbour view room on 5th floor with good views. Room not large but more than adequate. Bathroom extremely small with a shower, ok as I was alone ..could be problem with 2 persons. Hotels bar and restaurant were excellent. Great selection on menu. Service was a little slow at times but was due to hotel being very busy. Both Reception and restaurant staff were exceptional....most friendly and made you feel very welcome.I certainly can recommend this hotel and hope to stay here again myself soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased to read you had a great time with us during your week long stay in Auckland.
We do get fantastic comments on our STK Restaurant and the staff so I am so pleased that during your stay we did not disappoint and we were able to help make your stay excellent and make you feel welcome, we know a week away from home can feel like a very long time.
I do hope you do get to come and stay with us again soon too.
With best wishes,

Reviewed 14 August 2012

Stayed here for the night, after booking a Mystery Deal on Wotif, so we got a good discounted rate. Have stayed here previously a few years ago. Staff were helpful when I showed them my Priorty Guest card. On checking in, requested a room with a view of the Sky Tower, if possible. However, was told only a couple of rooms have such a view and these were already booked. Asked for a harbour view instead, which was granted. The room was smaller than we were expecting (having stayed here previously), but kind of expected that they're not going to give out their better rooms on a Wotif "Wot hotel" deal. In saying that, the view was magnificent, and reading some of the reviews on here, it could have been worse, so was happy with the room we were given.

Everything was clean and tidy. We stayed here for leisure, but would choose somewhere else if it was a special occasion. (going to be staying at Skycity Grand for my birthday next month).

Had dinner at the restaurant downstairs, called STK, we were not very impressed. Service was ok but the food was very very basic. Have to order sides as the mains don't come with anything, which was a shame for the price per main. The sides that you pay extra for were very basic as well. Have tried other hotel restaurants in the area over the years which far exceed. I would suggest the restaurant improve the dinner menu and add a bit of pizzazz to the meals. I would not recommend, when there are so many good restaurants close by. We walked down to the Stamford Plaza the next day for breakfast, which was great.

Location is excellent, short walk to the Sky Tower. Nice enough hotel, but try a different restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view