“Overpriced for what it is”
Review of Rydges Auckland

Rydges Auckland
Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Kuwait City, Kuwait
“Overpriced for what it is”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

The staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms clean. I was annoyed that parking wasn't included but even once paid or the front was full of cars! Later that night they were driven away.

The rooms which face Kingston Street unfortunately look into an apartment building. On almost every balcony is washing, old furniture, kids toys and rubbish. Not a pretty sight to wake up to!

I wasn't happy they added 2.5% on credit cards and very disappointed the 'free wi-if' only lasted 4 hours! Not good enough at this price and star rating. On top of all this the room was very small and the bathroom had a sliding door off beside the bed.

Vicki

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 24 February 2013
Hello,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you had a wonderful time in Auckland during your stay with us and were able to get out and about to explore the city.
Just like with airlines and many restaurants, most hotels both in New Zealand and around the world have a surcharge with credit cards.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Best regards,
Quenton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in feb 2013, service was fine and room was also find, other than the bathroom which would have been more at home in a 3 star motel. The worst part was a shower curtain that looked like it was from the 80s and unpleasantly sticks to you while showering. While this is a decent hotel I would suggest other 4 star hotels in Auckland offer a better experience for a cheaper price.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased you mentioned the bathroom as we are currently in the process of removing the baths and replacing them with a large and luxurious shower - minus the annoying shower curtain. Half the hotel is completed with the other half to be complete at the end of this winter. The new showers look amazing and they certainly open up the bathrooms.
I hope we can welcome you back very soon to check out our new showers.
Regards,
Auckland
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I booked the hotel through NakedRooms and paid just $100 for a twin room - an absolute bargain.

When I showed up the reservation was for a standard King, which they switched to Twin without any issue what-so-ever. I presented a DebitVisa, when I said I had no regular Visa they said "that's fine sir!". Check-in was fast & professional. All the staff I met, from valet, cleaners, & front office seemed really happy to be there, and happy to serve.

The room on the 8th floor wasn't facing the harbour, but I had no problems with the Skytower view. Twin Queen beds were really comfy, a good mini-bar & a deep bath & shower topped it off. The only thing I would have liked would be a countdown timer on the TV, but hardly a biggie. A pool would have been great, but I knew there wasn't one.

On checkout I realised we had inadvertently opened a minibar item that I thought was complimentary, but wasn't. They didn't charge for it anyway, even tho I mentioned it.

All in all, a perfect stay! It is now my regular place to stay when overnighting in Auckland. Thanks, Rydges Auckland crew - I WILL be back! :)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank DadZun
Rydges_Auckland, General Manager at Rydges Auckland, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rygdes Auckland, and what a great review it is! I am so pleased you had such a fantastic experience with us after getting a great deal online. I am so glad you have chosen us as your go to hotel in Auckland and we very much look forward to welcoming you back for your next city stay very soon.
With warm regards,
Bronte Park, Australia
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Purchased on a secret hotel room deal for $109 AUD/night over a Fri/Sat night, so great value for such a central location. Top floor rooms great, check in efficient and downstairs bar/lobby good for a drink. Very close to Depot, a must do dinner spot. Wifi didn't work that well in room at top floor, good in the lobby. You can purchase premium wifi pack not sure how that works on top floors so check before purchasing. Rooms clean and have been refurbished. I probably wouldn't pay more than what I paid tho, considering a 5* secret hotel room is around $150AUD a night. All in all a pleasant enough stay in a great location.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank PrincessFisky
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I hope you had a great weekend exploring Auckland; and you're right, Depot is certianly a must for a fantastic dinner spot just up the road from the hotel. Our STK Bar and Restaurant is a great place for a casual drink or a fantastic steak meal too and well worth a visit.
Hope we can welcome you back to Rydges Auckland very soon.
Kind regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

We had a night here for work. The hotel managed to muck up the booking, but when this was noted, upgraded us with out any fuss. The hotel was recently renovated and was very comfortable. Rooms were spacious and well appointed. Breakfast was a bit disappointing at $31 for the full buffet. Book a room with a view as there are some lovely views of Auckland harbour. Stuff were very friendly and helpful. We very much enjoyed staying here and would return.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I do apologies for your booking getting mixed up but I am pleased we were able to rectify this with a room upgrade for your stay. The view of the harbour and the bridge are awesome, and at sunset can be just magical.
I hope your next stay with us is not too far away.
Kind regards,
Seattle
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed at Rydges Auckland 5 years ago and we returned In Jan 2013. The location is central to everything yet it's not noisy. The rooms facing the water in the back have great views. The staff is very professional, helpful, and friendly. The beds are great and the bathrooms are spacious and modern. I will stay here again next time I return to Auckland.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back and on the upper floors have beautiful water views.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Art T
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, you would have noticed I'm sure how much the hotel has changed since your last stay with us 5 years ago - more rooms, upgraded bathrooms, lobby and restaurant - and they all look great!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Auckland on your next visit to the city, hopefully sooner than 5 years.
Best wishes,
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We were staying one night in Auckland before catching a Celebrity cruise. Upon arrival, we had a short wait as the room was not ready. However, we were given drink chits and enjoyed a drink at the bar while waiting. The room was small, clean and well appointed. The staff was helpful and pleasant. The hotel is in a great location and it's an easy walk to the sky tower, wharf and Queen Street. It's a $12 NZ dollar cab ride - with luggage - to the cruise terminal. We noticed many pre / post cruisers staying at the hotel. Good value and would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review on Rydges Auckland, I am so pleased to read you had a great stay with us before going on your cruise which I hope was just magical as well.
We do get many cruise guests stay with us due to our location to both the wharf and the rest of the city to explore.
I hope we can welcome you back again for another great cruise holiday.
With kind regards,